Beginning to second guess my scheduled Celebrity EDGE cruise...

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
(Figured I'd put this here since RCCL and X are under the same corporation...)

I'm booked on the Celebrity EDGE for Winter break next year, and I started out being really excited about it, but the more I think about it, the more, well, edgy I'm getting.

I'm sure most of it is that this ship is brand new - and will only have been going for a couple of months when I'm scheduled on her. So there's not really time to do anything if the reviews come in and are not great since I'll be well within the PIF point.

I've been on Royal's Radiance Class ships and have had no problems. But overall Celebrity just seems a little...different. I can't put my finger on it...

Can anyone share their experience going from DCL to Celebrity? Is it overall more similar than different - and just the newness of the ship is making me crazy?

I'll be interested to hear what folks have to say about this too. We are Diamond in RCL's program and have decided to try out Celebrity (Equnox in August) based on other reviews we've heard and its affiliation with RCL.

Yeah. My friend who got me to try TKD cruises X with her family regularly and loves it as a rule. I think it is just the unknown factor with Edge that has me second-guessing.

Personally I would be very happy to be booked on a brand new ship... as long as it's not one of say the first 3 or 4 sailings. Unless there is something specific you are concerned about? I mean it will be a new ship, but after a few sailings they tend to work out the kinks in terms of service and food. I guess, what are the things on the ship that you feel could be a problem? What's the "worst case" scenario you are worried about? The cabins will be new, the bedding, the ship will be all shiny and new! It sounds to me like it's more about Celebrity than the new ship, so perhaps read up on the Celebrity experience (cruise critic is a great place to read up on that), and see the difference. You've never cruised them before and it is different than Disney or RCL. I hope if you go on it you come back and let us know how it was :)

Personally I would be very happy to be booked on a brand new ship... as long as it's not one of say the first 3 or 4 sailings. Unless there is something specific you are concerned about? I mean it will be a new ship, but after a few sailings they tend to work out the kinks in terms of service and food. I guess, what are the things on the ship that you feel could be a problem? What's the "worst case" scenario you are worried about? The cabins will be new, the bedding, the ship will be all shiny and new! It sounds to me like it's more about Celebrity than the new ship, so perhaps read up on the Celebrity experience (cruise critic is a great place to read up on that), and see the difference. You've never cruised them before and it is different than Disney or RCL. I hope if you go on it you come back and let us know how it was :)

It is the difference with Celebrity, but even with that they are doing Edge differently than “regular” Celebrity. And stuff is still not revealed for it yet, so there is a lot of mystery. Even over on Cruise Critic fans of Celebrity are nervous because of the trickling out of little bits of information.

Yeah I think I'd be nervous as well. I'd figure that the basics would be fine - it's not as if any of these cruise lines will have suddenly forgotten how to run a cruise ship - but with any trip you like to know as much as possible before you do it.

Yeah I think I'd be nervous as well. I'd figure that the basics would be fine - it's not as if any of these cruise lines will have suddenly forgotten how to run a cruise ship - but with any trip you like to know as much as possible before you do it.

Thanks! I am starting to feel a little less anxiety reading a bit more on Cruise Critic - and just knowing I am not alone in it helps. There are some things I love - I love that Malala is going to be the godmother and the donations/charity fund/whatever is her foundation; I love how openly out Celebrity is in its support of the LGBTQIA community (not only were they the primary sponsor of Miami Pride, they are the first cruiseline to have a same-gender wedding ceremony on board); given how I have taken to TKD, I clearly resonate well with my friend’s vibe and taste; the Western is a new itinerary to me - and I do have some awesome excursions booked thanks to OBC...

I think I am probably 80/20 towards going and experiencing it at this point.

I can't give you any firsthand knowledge, but here's a podcast comparing DCL, RCCL and Celebrity: https://www.disboards.com/threads/v...yal-caribbean-and-celebrity-01-22-18.3660424/. Perhaps you'll find it helpful. I think there may be additional comparison podcasts as well (one relates to food allergies if I recall).

I was going to suggest this same podcast. Tracey is always very well spoken and provides great insight. She's booked cruises for us in the past and I trust her judgment, especially because it sounds like her and her family travel very similarly to the way me and my family do. Her overall opinion seemed to be that Celebrity took the cake over the other two lines.

I can only add that because of Tracey's review of her Celebrity cruise, we sailed last month on Silhouette. I took my elderly mother on her first cruise and we were fortunate to snag a 2 bedroom family veranda.

We got the marketing videos, etc. on the Edge. It didn't give a ton of details, but they were touting the upgrades.

I did a quick review (with some photos) on the Silhouette in this forum (https://www.disboards.com/threads/celebrity-silhouette.3662600/), but in summary it set a very high bar.

Last edited:
Looks like it is a go! I just put my deposit down for a day at Maya Chan Beach Resort in Costa Maya for that day!

Costa Maya seemed like a small port, but the beach area looked incredible (we opted for a Mayan ruin tour on our cruise last month). Enjoy!

Note: I tried to haggle with some of the vendors in Costa Maya, but they didn't budge much.

Costa Maya seemed like a small port, but the beach area looked incredible (we opted for a Mayan ruin tour on our cruise last month). Enjoy!

Note: I tried to haggle with some of the vendors in Costa Maya, but they didn't budge much.

This is a private beach developed by cruisers specifically to be a day resort for cruisers. It has amazing reviews on TripAdvisor (other than the like 5 people who missed the “this is a NATURAL beach and as such often has sea grass - if you are looking for a cleaned up and sanitized beach stick closer to the port” (I think they actually say “Disney-fied beach”) disclaimer and their complaints were - you guessed it - about the sea grass) and Cruise Critic.

I can only add that because of Tracey's review of her Celebrity cruise, we sailed last month on Silhouette. I took my elderly mother on her first cruise and we were fortunate to snag a 2 bedroom family veranda.

We got the marketing videos, etc. on the Edge. It didn't give a ton of details, but they were touting the upgrades.

I did a quick review (with some photos) on the Silhouette in this forum (https://www.disboards.com/threads/celebrity-silhouette.3662600/), but in summary it set a very high bar.

Thank you!

This is a private beach developed by cruisers specifically to be a day resort for cruisers. It has amazing reviews on TripAdvisor (other than the like 5 people who missed the “this is a NATURAL beach and as such often has sea grass - if you are looking for a cleaned up and sanitized beach stick closer to the port” (I think they actually say “Disney-fied beach”) disclaimer and their complaints were - you guessed it - about the sea grass) and Cruise Critic.

We saw your/this beach as a detour to Chacchoben; you are in for a real treat. If you are going to Cozumel as part of the western cruise, let me know if you want a gem for snorkeling/swimming/sunning/eating.

We saw your/this beach as a detour to Chacchoben; you are in for a real treat. If you are going to Cozumel as part of the western cruise, let me know if you want a gem for snorkeling/swimming/sunning/eating.

Thanks! We are going to Cozumel. Right now I am signed up for the Tequila Experience, but open to other options. My sister has a place she loves to eat that I am going to get the name of, but all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks! We are going to Cozumel. Right now I am signed up for the Tequila Experience, but open to other options. My sister has a place she loves to eat that I am going to get the name of, but all suggestions are welcome!

PM sent. Hope you research and trust our guidance (but, understand if you pursue other options).

Best!

IMG_20180308_081709_189.jpg

Oh...breakfast (Mexican with grilled bananas) was incredible! I tried my new 'fins and snorkel (no fog). Am I pumping this up too much?

IMG_20180308_093528_373.jpg IMG_20180308_094703_176.jpg IMG_20180308_094556_833.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter