Beginner looking for thoughts and advice

kc10family

DIS Veteran
My DD (16) loves photography and has dabbled with it for a few years. She was looking for a way to fundraise and thought it might be a good idea to work on her photography skills and raise money at the same time. She uses her iPhone camera and a used cannon xti.
1st- Is it possible for her to fundraise/make money? 2nd- Is this a good idea? Any thoughts and advice welcome.
Thank you

There are always ways to fund raise off photography.. no different than selling girl scout cookies. She can try to sell portrait sessions. But other than her own grandparents, not many people would be willing to pay money for a snap from an iphone. So it starts to depend on her skill and whether she can sell a professional or semi-professional product.

There are always ways to fund raise off photography.. no different than selling girl scout cookies. She can try to sell portrait sessions. But other than her own grandparents, not many people would be willing to pay money for a snap from an iphone. So it starts to depend on her skill and whether she can sell a professional or semi-professional product.
Havoc315, thank you for the reply. She didn’t think of portrait sessions at all but that might be something to look at. She does have a cannon rebel xti but as with most youth, she uses her phone a lot. She was telling me about online sites she could possibly sell her photos on, but I have yet to review them. I must say, I am proud that she is looking into ways to raise her own funds and help her possible future business.

Havoc315, thank you for the reply. She didn’t think of portrait sessions at all but that might be something to look at. She does have a cannon rebel xti but as with most youth, she uses her phone a lot. She was telling me about online sites she could possibly sell her photos on, but I have yet to review them. I must say, I am proud that she is looking into ways to raise her own funds and help her possible future business.

Yes, those are stock photography websites, like shutterstock.com

I've been meaning to put my own images up on there.

And honestly... in this day and age, a recent iphone will take better photos than an old Rebel Xt unless she has upgraded the lens and is processing raw files. If she is just pointing and shooting, the phone probably takes better images.

When I was 16 some 30 ish years ago I parlayed my love of photograohy this way... Any time a new building g was announced I would run to that spot, before they broke ground, and take scenic pictures of the open land or shops being tore down. Then, once the new buisiness was up and running I would approach with a large poster size print of my favorite few. I would sell them matted for framing and get $250-350 each. They would display them to show their connection to the city before they showed up or something like that. I was the only game in town with a fix for a problem they didn't think existed.

My best sale was a holiday inn came to town. Every room got a picture that could have been seen out the rooms window if it hadn't been demolished. So e 80 rooms all at $200 was. Best part, except for the film, my school photo program covered my expenses and I got school credit.

The key is to find pictures people want and nobody else gas.

I would suggest hitting up the library or used book list and grab a copy of Photographers Market 201X. Newer the better, READ IT. In detail. You would be amazed at the opportunities that are available.

Thank you everyone! We have been looking at the stock photo sites so she knows how they work. We have the Photographers Market 2017 on order at the library. She is excited to give this a try. She also wants to take a class at the local community college this summer and is looking into it. Now I need to have her get her own DIS log on so she can chat with you all. :)

Another couple of options are these.

If there's a local photo or camera club in your area, I would highly recommend joining it. I started off as one of the younger members, and still am, with my photo club but am now one of the senior members in terms of time with the club. I've learned a lot and information is usually readily shared. It has been a wealth of information.

Local events like block parties down town, or arts and crafts fairs, etc. often look for new vendors. Once she's developed a portfolio or collection of photographs that she'd like to sell, that's always an option.

Just a warning, but photography can sometimes be cut throat and you can encounter some very "grumpy" photographers. Tell her to have thick skin. A few examples that I've experienced are another local photographer from my small town very nicely told me that while we have similar photographic interests and styles (which is true) and didn't expect us to avoid the same subjects but that I need to develop my own style. Basically, we compete at a couple of arts and crafts festivals and some of his customers were buying from me instead and he wasn't happy despite our pricing being on par with each other. Another is about a local photographer that fully expects someone to disclose any and all information to her about a picture or location if she asks but is very vague at best in returning information that you might ask her. On social media she'll rush home to post pictures "first" for the likes and if you happen to post before her, she'll quickly flood her images out there to get the attention. I've had photographers harshly critique my work when I was just starting out and didn't know what I was doing. Your daughter will likely encounter people like this at some point but just like other aspects of life, people can be harsh and mean while others will go out of their way to help. For each negative example, I've had countless positive experiences though.

+1 to what Spork said. When it comes to money, photography can get as ugly as any other human endeavor. But, on the positive side, there are a LOT of under-served markets out there (niche or otherwise). Realistic expectations, at least in the beginning, are key here. Wanting to be the next Andy Rouse or Arthur Morris (link) but lacking $20K in equipment might be difficult (but not impossible<G>). Learning to work with what you have goes a long way.

And to the OP, tell your DD not to get all caught up in the geeky, technical crap sometimes. Developing the ability to "see" (the artistic expression of the individual photographer), sometimes even at the expense of technical knowledge, will help her go a long way further then just taking technically correct images. AND most likely helping her enjoy shooting more.

This is what she enjoys and for now that is all I want her to do, enjoy it. That doesn't mean she can't work on her skills and try to make money, not big money, that is not her goal for now. If she can sell things she likes for whatever she wants to ask, in her mind it's a win.
Yes, she will need thick skin as people are not always nice and she knows that. If she doesn't try, she wont know.
She took this yesterday with her phone. This old boy makes her happy so she take a lot of pictures of him.
You all are outstanding! The information and encouragement is such a blessing.
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!