Bed wetting at the hotel question...

JRoglitz

DIS Veteran
My DD is will be 3 1/2 in October for our DW trip. We will be staying at the WL or maybe the GF if we can get a good discount. She is doing very well at home with sleeping through the night without wetting the bed. She has a waterproof mattress pad on her bed just in case she has an accident. I really don't want to have her use pull ups when we are on vacation but it would really upset her if she wet at the hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can get a waterproof pad at a baby store (I forget where I got mine...maybe WalMart?) They have different sizes. They're fairly thin, and feel like stiff flannel. You can put it over or under the sheet.

Actually, though, it might not hurt to revert to PullUps for the trip if she's fairly well established in her potty training. Just explain that it might take a while to get to the bathroom, so you're putting them on her just in case. And this is VERY true. If she needs to go potty right when you get to the front of a very long ride line, or if there's a line at the bathroom, or if you can't FIND a bathroom, or if she gets overtired and just can't hold it as long as usual...

I didn't even think of a waterproof pad. I'm going to Wal-Mart tomorrow and will check. I think she will be fine during the day. She hasn't had any accidents in months. But at night we still have a few. She is making a very big deal about being a "big girl" and diapers and pull ups are for babies. She get really upset when I try to use them. I think the pad is a great idea. Are they throw away or washable? Thanks again.

Our daughter just turned three. She is doing really good with pottying, and has been in panties for months. At first she had a lot of accidents, but it has been a LONG time since she has had an accident. Anyway, we are DEFINITELY doing pull-ups on this trip. We use them at night anyway, because she is very sporadic. 3 nights a week dry, the other 4 SOPPING wet.

But the real reason we will use them at the parks is because we have learned different things set her off. We went on a trip to Colorado about three months ago. She reverted to accidents BIG TIME. The reason? She had to go while she was on the plane (we had her in pull-ups just in case). She got back there and took one look at the big metal bowl and refused to sit on a toilet anywhere but in the hotel room the remainder of the trip. The toilet in the airplane freaked her out. She has to check out the toilets pretty carefully now, wherever we are. Since then, she has been pretty ok, but I have had a strange toilet at a restaurant set her off. And she refuses to go on a handicapped toilet. She has to have what she calls the little toilet. So based on that, when we are going to the parks for rides - pull ups it is, although she understands that we still try to keep them dry.

The pads are washable. You can get disposable ones at a health supply store, but they are very bulky to take with you and they bunch up a lot. The flannel ones lay flat.

If I didn't get them at WalMart, it might have been Babies R Us or Toys R Us. They have really little ones for putting under a baby's head (so you don't have to change the sheets just because they drool) up to really big ones that a toddler can fit her whole body on.

And here's my true confession (where's that "embarrassed" smilie when you need one)...I wear a sanitary pad myself in the parks just in case I can't get to the bathroom in time. It happened once in the MK when I was carrying a baby in a sling and couldn't get there and get her off me quick enough. I think it's a lot to expect of a newly-potty-trained 3yo to always be able to hold it for extra long periods of time.

I am also going through the same thing with my almost 3yo.. No accident at all in almost 2 months but I do put a pull up on here at night. She has yet to wet one but I would rather be safe than sorry. I am going to have her wear them at night at the hotels and I am thinking about maybe at the parks incase we cant get to a bathroom in time. I have a feeling even if she has them on during the day she wont go in them but I would rather be safe.

She has been absolutely great in potty training.. now my son on the other hand was 3 1/2 and didn't want to give the diaper up lol

Housekeeping can provide has waterproof pads on request. Just call when you check into your room and they will bring one for you. You can even get an extra set of sheets, just in case of an accident in the middle of the night. And, you won't have to worry about washing them if they do get wet.

(But I agree with the others about still using the pull ups just in case)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter