Bed Bugs at the Polynesian =(

ShannyDoesDisney

Dreaming of Palm Trees
Hi all. We were at the Polynesian from January 6-11th in room 3219.
Had a great time but thought that some Floridian bug was in love with me!! Upon coming home it turned out that I had hundreds of bed bug bites. My husband has some and thankfully our toddler son was ok (in a pack and play)
I emailed as soon as we realized what it was and they started a claim for us. We heard back from them and they sent in a dog and did find bed bugs. We had our home checked and thankfully we didn't bring them home. Disney is paying for our home inspection and money for luggage etc.
I'm happy they were so nice about it but it's just a reminder that even a really nice place can still have these nasty creatures.
They mess with your mind wondering if you have them in your home!
Check your mattress in a hotel friends!

Thanks for asking JARNJ3! My hubby is fine but some of my bites are bad. I had an allergic reaction - I'm the type who when I get mosquito bites they swell up and are gross(ooze). So I have been on anti histamines and have some scarring. The last ones I got are still itchy in an insane burning way that makes it hard to sleep! It sounds dramatic but it has been far worse than I would have thought.
I will be just fine and now I know the check the beds at the beginning of a trip. :)

I've never seen a bug before but the inspector who came to our home said to check the seams of the mattress with a flashlight(or the light of your phone) and look for signs of droppings or blood from previous bites. All sounds gross to me so hopefully none of us will ever find any :)

This is probably a dumb question but how do you check? Just look between the sheets? They'll be visible?
There are tons of sites online to show you buy basically take a bright flashlight (cell phone flashlights work pretty good) and pull back sheets and mattress covers to inspect mattress. The bugs look like apple seeds. They leave black/rust colored stains on sheets from their droppings. Use the flashlight to look between mattress and box spring and box spring/bed frame. Look behind headboards as well. Also look in the dresser drawers and nightstands.
If really worried bring plastic bags to store dirty clothes and done use the dressers. We always pack our clothes inside garbage bags in our suitcases, but that’s mostly because I’m obsessive over this. I worked at a school where nearly every classroom had multiple families with bed bug problems and I became a bit of a nut making sure I didn’t bring them home.

We were in the Aotearoa building. You should be just fine! They have their own team of experts for these situations and they make sure it doesnt spread.

Also, just FYI, heat is the best weapon we have in our homes; put all your clothes through the dryer before you wash them. Crank it to high and bake it for over an hour, heat kills them. When you first go into a hotel room, make sure not to put anything down except for in the bathroom (because of the tile, it is the place the least likely to have bedbugs), put bags in the bathroom and then search the room for signs or bugs themselves.

Per the bed bug registry web site reported bed bug bites:

Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort
2000 Hotel Plaza Boulevard = 1 report of bed bugs

Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre
8501 Palm Parkway = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Polynesian Resort
1600 Seven Seas Dr. = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
900 Cayman Way = 1 report of bed bugs

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
1000 W Buena Vista Drive = 2 reports of bed bugs

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
4600 N World Dr = 2 reports of bed bugs

Holiday inn suites 14500 continental gateway = 1 report of bed bugs

The bed bug registry is handy but never the full picture. Someone could have a bad experience at a hotel and lie and say they had bed bugs and on the other hand I'm sure that many people have had bed bugs and not known to report it. We haven't reported anything there yet. I hate to blemish their reputation because they've been so lovely and I loveeeee Disney!!!

I got LOTS of bed bug bites at BWV in 2009. I didn't know to report them. I still don't remember to check, or even think about it really. Just too excited to be at WDW. Seeing a thread like this is good for me. But I don't go till July. (short term memory)
I should write "check mattress" on my packing list or something.

I feel your pain! Had a similar run-in there in August. I won’t go into the whole story, but I was on edge with worry months after we got home. Finally had an inspection, and thankfully all clear! I highly suspect ours were in the headboard, because I checked mattresses when we checked in. Glad you didn’t bring them home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!