Because the Best Time is Now. An Easter Week Trip - Updated 4/14 Travel Day

Jessirip

Mouseketeer
Hello fellow Disers! We have returned from our first family trip to Disney World with our kids, which has been a dream of ours for a long time. While crowds would be crazy, and our kids possibly on the young side, I just could not wait any longer to take them and the stars aligned. We are truly Disney people, and have a hard time vacationing anywhere else. I am proud to say I converted DH to this way of thinking after our first trip as a couple in 2003. We returned once more as a couple in 2008, and then went on the wild ride of having kids. At age 6 we felt like it was the ideal time to take our DD, and 3 year old DS had to come along of course. We plan to return when he is 6 as well.

Here's us on Easter Sunday!

Easter Sunday.jpg

(Getting DS to actually smile for photos this trip was a battle. I will gladly take this tongue out photo since he is looking in the right direction.)

Cast of Characters:

DH - Alan, 43. Superstar stay at home dad. Let's me do my Virgo planning thing and is an amazing partner. Made sure I had fun too.

Me - Jessica, 40. Working mom, over-planner and thinker, been dreaming of this vacation for a long time. This was my 40th birthday gift. To plan something extraordinary for us all. Does he know me or what?

DD - M, 6 Social butterfly. Destined to be a Disney Princess someday. Over Frozen but very much into Flynn Rider. When told we would be having breakfast with him gave an eye roll and said "Oh No, I hope he doesn't want to marry me".

DS - W, 3. Amazingly smart, funny, and sweet. I'm not sure we could have done this trip with another 3 year old, however I am biased. Obsessed with Frozen, like knows every word obsessed. Had several lipstick marks on his cheeks from princesses by trip end.

We (I) learned a lot on this trip. From crowd levels, to ADRs, to FPs, I feel like our next trip will be so much better with what we have learned. Planning a trip for the 2 of us was one thing, planning a trip with kids is a whole, 'nother ballgame. I do NOT know how you all do it with extended family along!

Over our 7 night trip we visited all 4 parks, all but HS at least twice. We did no less than 10 ADRs, 6 of them being character meals, as well as 2 dessert parties. We survived the Easter Week crowds, and I did not cuss during them since it was a holy time and all. :littleangel:

Follow us on our adventures as I beat the Disney blues with reminiscing! :)

I am following along!!!!

At age 6 we felt like it was the ideal time to take our DD, and 3 year old DS had to come along of course.
This was the ages of our girls the first time we went. And it was the perfect ages!!!!

This was my 40th birthday gift.
We went to Disney World in September for my 40th. It's a great way to celebrate.

DD - M, 6 Social butterfly. Destined to be a Disney Princess someday. Over Frozen but very much into Flynn Rider. When told we would be having breakfast with him gave an eye roll and said "Oh No, I hope he doesn't want to marry me".
HA! :rotfl2:

Planning a trip for the 2 of us was one thing, planning a trip with kids is a whole, 'nother ballgame.
It really is completely different to do the parks with kids and it keeps changing as my girls get older.

Can't wait to hear how the trip was! We actually ended up going to Disneyland for Easter. It was VERY last minute. And it was crowded but we also made the best of it.

March 31 - Travel Day And Arrival at AKL

When I first began researching our trip, I had a clear plan in mind of staying at a value resort to save money. For our first trip as a couple Alan and I stayed at ASMU, which we really liked. When we returned in 2008 we tried a moderate and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, but didn't find it much better than ASMU (I don't know how to explain that other than saying we were barely in the room since we could go go go). So, I was convinced we'd be fine at a value and booked All Star Sports since it was the most affordable option.

Boy, did that plan change.

Lots of hemming and hawing and realizing what the crowds would be like that week (plus some pixie dust from work) led to a split stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and The Poly.

Yes, big difference.

Looking back I am so glad we made this decision as the convenience of the Poly was a God send during this super busy crowd time.

But, I digress a little. Or foreshadow... at any rate, early the morning on Saturday I woke before the 5:30am alarm since I was so excited. I had taken Good Friday off work to pack, so we were pretty much ready to go. After I got dressed and woke Alan, I took a few minutes in the kitchen to try and savor a cup a coffee. I made it a point to soak in these last few moments of quiet before a whirlwind week, while ignoring our two cats who clearly knew something was up with all the bags in the hallway.

At about 6:00am, I began our tradition of how we begin our Disney trip mornings and initiated the kids into my craziness.

I put in the Lion King CD... and blasted Circle of Life throughout the house.

Nants! ingonyama! bagithi baba!

Oh yes

But they didn't wake up. Kids can sleep through anything when you want them to wake up, and nothing when you need some "me" time.

So up to M's room I went and gently turned up the lights. When I told her it was time to go to Disney World, she sprang up like a rocket. I was a little relieved, afraid I'd have to drag her to the airport. We didn't do a surprise trip this time. I wanted her to have the ability to get to know Disney World first through planning videos and the like, so we had been pulling numbered Mickey heads off the wall for approximately 38 days. For me, anticipation and planning is at least 40% of the fun.

She immediately proceeded to her brother's room to wake him, and he also was actually very good natured for a 3 year old who had been woken against his will. Just a short time later, we were on our way to the airport for our morning flight to Orlando!

I had also created a play-list for our drive to the airport. (Did I mention I like to plan things a little too much?) Clocking in at about 32 minutes, I had the length pretty perfect for our drive after our ritual of stopping at Dunkin Donuts for coffee. We do it before going anywhere important and it has become a good luck thing. So, no one else except these boards is going to appreciate it, so I will share. :)

4-14-2018 5-50-55 PM.jpg
Soarin' started to play as soon as we pulled into the airport parking lot, and I tried not to get cocky.

We were pretty grateful for our travel day ease. It is about a 2.5 hour flight from where we live, and both kids were very well behaved. To help ensure this, we had not given them their Kindle's for a few days before hand to ensure they were new again. Between this and snacks, we were good. We decided to keep W in his car seat for this trip. We have this handy thing that makes transporting it (and him) through the airport a breeze. While security sometimes can be a little iffy about it, usually a hand inspection gets us on our way. We highly recommend it.

Some obligatory plane photos: (We love Southwest and also always pay for early bird check in - Fast Pass to Group A boarding)

Plane-2.jpg Plane-1.jpg

We had left a cold rainy place, so it was lovely to be in the sky with the sunshine.

Plane-in-Air.jpg

Marie was the lucky friend who got to come along on the trip.

Plane-3.jpg
Our flight was actually a little bumpy, but thankfully short and we had landed by 12:45 Orlando time. Without the need to get our bags (hooray for MDE), we briefly considered lunch at MCO, but decided to just head towards our resort. We were anxious to get there, and this mama was anxious for a little libation by the pool!

Next up, driving under those magic gates, arrival at AKL, and our first night with dinner at Boma.

Thanks for following along!

What an adorable family. Looking forward to your report!

Thank you so much for being here and your kind words! :)

I am following along!!!!

This was the ages of our girls the first time we went. And it was the perfect ages!!!!

We went to Disney World in September for my 40th. It's a great way to celebrate.

Totally agreed, they had so much fun. And happy belated, I'm in September too! Thanks for following along!

Beautiful family! I have such fond memories of the Disney trips when my boys were small (ok there's always a melt down or two but...). My sona love to travel with us even today as adults.

We're Southwest lovers too! Cheap fares from our home in Buffalo, NY allows us frequent trips!

Can't wait to hear more!

We have many happy memories of our kids at Disney at those ages!! Perfect time to go!! :jumping1:

Following along!! :wave2:

Following along. Looking forward to reading about your adventures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!