Beach Club or Boardwalk - I just don't know!

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
I'm waiting about 4 more weeks to decide if our next trip will/can be booked on points at Dolphin. But if not, I will put in a DVC request for a studio at Beach Club or Boardwalk.

We have always wanted to try Beach Club for the proximity to Epcot and for their pool. But, Boardwalk seems really fun and closer to HS (???).

What are some other key features that could help me decide which one should be our first choice?

Thank you!

We did Beach Club in July and LOVED it. However, we are going to do Boardwalk in March. While we loved the pool, it was almost too overwhelming for our kids (both 6) and hard for us to let them just go off on their own because of having to go so far for the slide. I would say BC Pool is better for older kids. Staying at BW will allow us to enjoy the area and for us to be more relaxed at the pool. I am a huge fan of staying at the Epcot resorts though, you just can't beat the location.

On the rooms, the BC rooms were my favorite so far. I loved how fresh and clean they felt after staying at some other Disney resorts and we have stayed at plenty:)

Good luck with the decision!

I'm waiting about 4 more weeks to decide if our next trip will/can be booked on points at Dolphin. But if not, I will put in a DVC request for a studio at Beach Club or Boardwalk.

We have always wanted to try Beach Club for the proximity to Epcot and for their pool. But, Boardwalk seems really fun and closer to HS (???).

What are some other key features that could help me decide which one should be our first choice?

Thank you!
When are you planning on going. From early Fall through mid January BCV/BWV studios will need to be booked about 11 months in advance. It is DVC high season known as Fall Frenzy

That is a super tough choice. You really can't go wrong with either. Personally, I would go for whichever is cheapest because they are both great! If they are equal, I would ask yourself which pool you might prefer and if you would like to be closer to EP or if you would like to be a bit closer to walk to DHS (but still walkable to EP). I think when it comes down to it, we prefer BWV as I really do like the "vibe" there. It's so fun to walk around at night and I do prefer walking to DHS over taking the boat (though, if they are still doing gondola construction, that walk is a bit longer currently).

The pool at BC has always been a double edged sword while researching. Kids will be 6 and 8 (closer to 7 and 9). I'm not sure how much I will "trust" them off on their own and I don't want to be running after them.

It will be mid-December and I understand the fall frenzy (never heard of that!). Poly will be choice 3. Again, really hoping Dolphin can work 1st, but the crazy increase in points is ridiculous.

I also know, can't go wrong with either BC or BW (if we can even get one!) - LOVE Epcot area resorts.

We loved Beach Club with our kids. The close proximity to Epcot was great. Especially if you have park hoppers. The walk to HS from Beach Club is a bit of a hike but it's doable. But I agree that Beach Club pool is huge and unless you have older kids, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them off on their own either. We tended to hang in the little kid area. If they wanted to do the slide, one of us would go with them.

The Boardwalk is also nice. The main pool has that big clown which I know some people think is creepy. But it's a compact pool and you can definitely watch kids much easier there. The good thing about Boardwalk too is Boardwalk Bakery for the mornings. Boardwalk also has that new character meal table service. It's also closest to HS for walking.

With the opening of Star Wars, being able to walk to HS will be a huge perk. I would go Boardwalk.

I grew up going to BC as a kid, but now as an adult I own at BWV and love it. The location is great as it is closer to DHS and during the holidays typically does not share any buses with other resorts to AK or MK. Personally, I think younger kids would be better at BW as Stormalong Bay at BC/YC is very spread out and hard to see your kids. Like others have said, you have to exit the main pool and go over to the kiddie pool by the lagoon to get on the slide. I like the rooms at the BWV. They were recently upgraded too and very nice.

If you are booking at one bedroom, you have a better chance at getting that than a studio.

If you are booking at one bedroom, you have a better chance at getting that than a studio.
I would want a one bedroom but can’t justify the cost for this fourth trip. My kids also won’t share the pull out so we would have to fly down with a blow up (or ship one down). Unless Im not thinking of something?

I would want a one bedroom but can’t justify the cost for this fourth trip. My kids also won’t share the pull out so we would have to fly down with a blow up (or ship one down). Unless Im not thinking of something?
Your kids will need to share the sleeper sofa in the one bedroom. Just the king bed in the master bedroom and the queen sleeper sofa in the living room. DVC will not provide additional sleeping surfaces.

We’ve enjoyed both, but there are some key differences.
BCV pros: amazing proximity to Epcot, beautiful lobby, multiple restaurants, grocery store and CS, elaborate pool
BCV cons: you can’t see your kids easily at SAB, especially if you have small kids who want to use the slide, and it’s not ideal if you just want to swim as opposed to floating on a lazy river, playing pool volleyball or watching toddlers play in sand; lots of rooms have tiny Juliet balconies; Cape May Cafe sometimes smells fishy; the BCV pool is small, plain, and has no shade

BWV pros: easy access to everything on the Boardwalk such as restaurants, shopping and entertainers; lovely lobby, better balconies; pool is very nice, it’s easy to watch ypur kids, and the slide is great if the clown thing doesn’t bother you

BMV cons: there are no restaurants or grocery shops or CS in the resort itself, so you have to go to the Boardwalk for food: it can be a looong walk to the elevator from one’s villa

Our family really enjoyed both resorts. I would book either without hesitation. The Epcot area is great.

We’ve enjoyed both, but there are some key differences.
BCV pros: amazing proximity to Epcot, beautiful lobby, multiple restaurants, grocery store and CS, elaborate pool
BCV cons: you can’t see your kids easily at SAB, especially if you have small kids who want to use the slide, and it’s not ideal if you just want to swim as opposed to floating on a lazy river, playing pool volleyball or watching toddlers play in sand; lots of rooms have tiny Juliet balconies; Cape May Cafe sometimes smells fishy; the BCV pool is small, plain, and has no shade

BWV pros: easy access to everything on the Boardwalk such as restaurants, shopping and entertainers; lovely lobby, better balconies; pool is very nice, it’s easy to watch ypur kids, and the slide is great if the clown thing doesn’t bother you

BMV cons: there are no restaurants or grocery shops or CS in the resort itself, so you have to go to the Boardwalk for food: it can be a looong walk to the elevator from one’s villa

Our family really enjoyed both resorts. I would book either without hesitation. The Epcot area is great.
No restaurants at BW? This is something I didn’t realize. So no rolling out of bed to quickly grab some snacks somewhere? Or is this not a big of a deal than it sounds? What about a pool restaurant?

No restaurants at BW? This is something I didn’t realize. So no rolling out of bed to quickly grab some snacks somewhere? Or is this not a big of a deal than it sounds? What about a pool restaurant?
What the PP means is that all of the restaurants are ON the Boardwalk, not in the BWV building. You have to leave the resort and go down to the Boardwalk.

What the PP means is that all of the restaurants are ON the Boardwalk, not in the BWV building. You have to leave the resort and go down to the Boardwalk.
Not to beat a dead horse, but we would physically have to go outside, onto the boardwalk. There aren't any doors from inside the hotel that connect to these places? If we stay at BW, where do you go to pick up your "free" mugs for being on the dining plan? Not sure why I'm harping on this - all our time is spent in the parks or at the pool. Thanks!

Not to beat a dead horse, but we would physically have to go outside, onto the boardwalk. There aren't any doors from inside the hotel that connect to these places? If we stay at BW, where do you go to pick up your "free" mugs for being on the dining plan? Not sure why I'm harping on this - all our time is spent in the parks or at the pool. Thanks!
YES
With the exception of the Bellevue Lounge in the Lobby, which has some Continental Pastries etc in the morning, you have to go Physically Outside onto the Boardwalk. No inside doors. Outside. Walk the Boardwalk to where you want to go. No cover in rain. Etc

Reactions: TJA
I think most guests pick up their mug at the Boardwalk Bakery and you have to go outside to get there. If you wind up with a rainy morning, you'll need an umbrella. Or stock your villa with the breakfast items you like. You'll have a small refrigerator (a bit bigger than the ones in the hotel rooms), microwave, coffee pot in the studio and full kitchen in the one bedroom and larger.

One more issue with smaller kids. The "lazy river" is not that long and it is very deep, like 8' deep. When I walked over to it the depth surprised me as I was over my head quickly and I'm almost six feet tall. And it has a brisk current.

But there is a little kids slide and I do mean little kids over on the Yacht Club side and that's a nice place for the littler kids to play. So if you have both older and littler kids, you're going to have to split up the parents because the older kids won't like that side, especially if they are good swimmer.

You have to physically go outside to the Boardwalk to get to Boardwalk Bakery and the other restaurants. There’s no inside door connecting them to the hotel. You can get your free dining resort mugs at the bakery.

The one exception is Bellvue Lounge on the inn side that has coffee and light breakfast (like pastries and yogurt) in the morning.

The pool at BC has always been a double edged sword while researching. Kids will be 6 and 8 (closer to 7 and 9). I'm not sure how much I will "trust" them off on their own and I don't want to be running after them.

For us, it depended on which section of SAB the kids want to hang out in. If the sandy-bottom shallow section with mounds of sand to build castles, etc., then it's pretty easy to manage. My kids literally couldn't get enough time at SAB, and it was relaxing for us as parents. However, there comes a pivotal age where they sort of still want to build castles but also want to go on the big slide. So we used to start out in the shallow section, then all move to the bigger section. My kids stuck together, so we never had issues with them going in different directions, but it was more which section of the pool we were going to settle at.

Once they were completely grown out of the shallow section, then we used to settle near the area where the slide ends. DH actually loves the big slide, so he always went with them anyway, so we had no worries about them walking across the boardwalk on their own to get on the slide.

We did stay at the BWI when our kids were younger, and they preferred SAB. But again, all kids are different.

Good luck!

Like PP mentioned, time of year may dictate the resort, depending on when you are going. Fall months are very popular for both of these resorts in particular, with Food & Wine at Epcot.

Otherwise, BCV is smaller than BWV so you'd have a better shot at getting what you want at BWV. I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, though - BCV has an amazing pool but it may not be great for younger kids, as PP points out is deep with some winding curves making for blind spots when watching the kids. BCV also has great on-site restaurants in Beaches & Cream and Cape May, both of which I prefer over anything on the Boardwalk. Boardwalk is a bit closer to DHS and has more things to do in the evening, but it would be a quick walk from BCV regardless.

Personally, I prefer the theme of BCV over BWV so that would be my first choice, but I don't think BWV will disappoint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter