Be uncool! Report them!

I care deeply about people dying.
I care deeply about the 3.3 mm newly unemployed.
I care deeply about the economy.

However, I care deeply-er about our fundamental Constitutional Rights.
I understand a lot believe they should be allowed to do what they want when they want right now. That's not what is best for everyone at this point. If everyone would just stay home and only go out if necessary this would be over a lot quicker.

This whole thing just stinks.
For the record, I think @Farro did the right thing, as that is what the authorities advised to do. I won’t call our police, as they are patrolling and advised that we should not call about gatherings in public areas at this time. I just wish people were responsible, cared about others and followed the orders so it wouldn’t even have to be a conversation. In my dreams!

Ever since our schools were shut down nearly 2 weeks ago now, we’ve done our part. Stayed home, only going out for walks, playing in our backyard. One curbside grocery pickup. It’s just so defeating seeing people just completely ignore this.
Same here, DH did a couple of quick grocery runs because online grocery slots are almost impossible to snag. I have one Sunday that I grabbed 8 days ago.

He was violating state guidance and Health Department orders and bragging about it on FaceBook. He could have stayed open and done carry out. I’m not proud of reporting him, but I am disgusted that he was proud of flouting the health of others. I would absolutely do it again.
I wouldn't have been proud of that. I actually would feel very badly if I did that to someone.

Maybe others are just missing how serious Mayor Lightfoot is taking this in Chicago. Gov. Pritzker did in fact elude to telling people to call the police if they see a large gathering, and to let the police handle it, when he announced the stay at home order last Friday.
I am aware that other states are not taking this seriously at all. That may be what is contributing to the fact that the US is about to be #1 in terms of confirmed cases around the world, despite our much smaller population compared to China and our lack of testing capabilities.
I appreciate the efforts being put into stopping the spread in Chicago and Illinois, and hate that an ignorant few are ruining what few opportunities we have to blow off some steam while we fight this together. I understand why Mayor Lightfoot has to do what she has to do, but I wish people just took her first warnings seriously, and then we wouldn't be in the shape we are currently in.

All the closings are slowly leaking out before the press conference. Even the 606, but it is hard to keep 6 feet from people on there.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/corona...606-downtown-riverwalk-parks-violators-arrest

Ok Karen.

And I need someone to explain to me "The sooner we all comply the sooner this will be all over!" I've seen it also on Facebook and I don't think that's correct. The virus will just resurge once we go about our business. Staying at home *does* spread out the infection rate, which reduces or prevents the hospital surge, though. So we literally could be doing this off and on for months.

We need 80% immune I believe to make the virus "go away". So we either achieve that by infecting more people or by creating a vaccine.

From what I’m hearing, the virus can’t spread without people for it to spread TO. Once the people who have the virus now and are carriers “resolve,” meaning the virus has run its course so they are no longer infectious, the cycle ends because it can’t spread to someone else.

In the suburbs they're telling the police not to pull people over and they're only allowed to respond to actual emergencies. My neighbor is a police officer and he says they're just not allowing them to be near people at all unless it's absolutely necessary. They're supposed to take a statement over the phone and leave it at that.

I can't imagine them policing people in parks beyond maybe turning on the siren for a blip. Their main priority it seems it to keep the officers as safe as possible.

In the suburbs they're telling the police not to pull people over and they're only allowed to respond to actual emergencies. My neighbor is a police officer and he says they're just not allowing them to be near people at all unless it's absolutely necessary. They're supposed to take a statement over the phone and leave it at that.

I can't imagine them policing people in parks beyond maybe turning on the siren for a blip. Their main priority it seems it to keep the officers as safe as possible.

Yesterday Mayor Lightfoot announced police would begin ticketing anyone in violation of the social distancing orders, including a fine. Today it seems it's going to go farther.

I care deeply about people dying.
I care deeply about the 3.3 mm newly unemployed.
I care deeply about the economy.

However, I care deeply-er about our fundamental Constitutional Rights.

This is a very difficult situation to deal with for all. I for one am complying, and have been, as I believe it is the right thing to do, What I fear, more than the virus itself, is how it may change things in our country. How quickly we can go from the home of the free and the brave, to well, you know, the home of the not so free anymore.

It's a very slippery slope not matter what someone wants to believe. I for one, again, DO believe we need to adhere to this but don't really care for being told I can be fined, or even arrested, if I don't.

Do you want people “telling” on you for speeding? What about the little lie you told on your tax return? What about the stop sign you just creeped through? Maybe the little piece of paper you through out your car window?
This is completely different as this has do with people's health. All it takes is for that one person who goes to that restaurant to have it and it could be spread within a few days to multiple people.

Mayor Lighfoot just laid the smackdown!!!

NO CONGREGATING IN CHICAGO. PERIOD.

Lakefront/adjacent parks, some running trails closed, but neighborhood parks still open for now. But if they keep getting the complaints and calls like they did yesterday (ahem ;) ) about groups still gathering and groups still playing contact sports in the parks, those will close too.

She's serious people, stay home and save lives!!!

She's so tough, I love her.

A news story ran today in my area about how great it is that people got out yesterday out and about in the parks in my area (weather has been mostly crappy) while practicing proper social distance :confused3 . They're def. concerned with people doing unnecessary shopping and businesses being open when they shouldn't be or who aren't enabling proper social distancing measures.

Land of mostly suburbia is different than land of densely populated urban areas I guess.

*that said it's all a fluid situation with approaches that shift and change as needs and behaviors shift and change.

Do you want people “telling” on you for speeding? What about the little lie you told on your tax return? What about the stop sign you just creeped through? Maybe the little piece of paper you through out your car window?

If in speeding you caused an accident, yes. If you caused thousands of people to lose their jobs by lying on your tax return, yes. If you creeped thru a stop sign and hit someone, yes. See by people going out gathering in large groups they are causing harm to others. They can spread the virus to others, who spread it other, and then to someone who it kills. If we could all go out and about without endangering others, they would still be letting us do so!

I don't have to worry about that because I don't speed to the point of getting a ticket, nor do I go through stop signs to that point either. As for minor offenses like that, telling on someone does nothing because the cop has to see it or it had to result in an accident or something like that. As for cheating on taxes, I don't do that and would certainly want someone that knew someone else was lying on theirs to turn them in.

This is completely different as this has do with people's health. All it takes is for that one person who goes to that restaurant to have it and it could be spread within a few days to multiple people.
That’s their problem for going out into a restaurant. Don’t need the government to make that choice for me.

If in speeding you caused an accident, yes. If you caused thousands of people to lose their jobs by lying on your tax return, yes. If you creeped thru a stop sign and hit someone, yes. See by people going out gathering in large groups they are causing harm to others. They can spread the virus to others, who spread it other, and then to someone who it kills. If we could all go out and about without endangering others, they would still be letting us do so!
All those things can potentially harm someone. Lots die in accidents daily.

... However, I care deeply-er about our fundamental Constitutional Rights.

When considering the Constitution, you have to consider all parts, including states rights. The Constitution gives the states the right to take necessary measures. This is an awful situation, for the decision makers and the communities at large, and many people are scared. All (I would like to think) are trying to make the right decisions. Protecting citizens from each other, sometimes, is one of those decisions, especially once a state of emergency is declared. The quote below is from a time.com article written by Tara Law on 3.25 (New here, not allowed to post links?). The article is about federal vs state right to end social distancing and other related requirements. I actually found it very interesting, but I'm a nerd that way.

"Why do Cuomo, Newsom and the other 48 governors have such authority? Under the U.S. Constitution, states have “an inherent power to take actions to protect the health and wellbeing” of their residents, says Wendy E. Parmet, director of the Center for Health Policy and Law at Northeastern University.
In a public health emergency, the federal government’s role is to share information with states, manage resources, and assist in other ways, experts say. And while the federal government could step in if it decides a state isn’t doing enough during such a crisis, it has limited power to intervene if it feels like a state is doing too much."

In the end, I'm hoping for a magic mirror to peek through and tell me when I need to reschedule my vacation, since clearly middle of April isn't going to happen. :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter