Be advised: Disneyland mail theft

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Folks, be advised: I mailed someone from another Disney group a Mickey’s 90th birthday pin several days ago. When it arrived, someone had torn open the side of the envelope and swiped it.

As anyone that I’ve mailed maps to knows, I always print the to and from address in a Walt Disney font. The return address is always “Disneyland-A.K.A. The center of the universe.” I do that because I think it adds to the fun. But apparently it marked the envelope as a target for theft. Very disappointing.

So: if anyone is mailing anything of value from Disneyland, don’t use a Walt font or a DL return address.

Incidentally, I suggested that the recipient report the theft to her local post office. Not sure it will help but it couldn’t hurt.

That is horrible and so disappointing that someone behave that way :( I am so sorry that this happened to you and your friend. I adored the font you used and can't thank you enough for going out of your way to spread Disneyland magic to others.

Thanks :-). I suggested she report it to her local post office and to post a pic of the envelope online -- they may be more prone to do something about it. I suspect they won't be too interested in such a small theft but it my mind it's the principle. Any P.O. employee (presumably) that will steal a $.25 pin will steal anything.

Is it possibly the envelope got stuck in the sorting machine and ripped? I feel like I've had issues with envelopes showing up empty when it's just a plain letter envelope vs a larger size envelope that would be sorted differently at the post office. Trying to think the world is a good place.

I always put these types of pins, etc., in a padded envelope and make them nondescript. You never know when someone is going to try and steal.

That's a shame that someone did that, Rob.

Is it possibly the envelope got stuck in the sorting machine and ripped? I feel like I've had issues with envelopes showing up empty when it's just a plain letter envelope vs a larger size envelope that would be sorted differently at the post office. Trying to think the world is a good place.

Sure, that's possible. But it seems if that happened, there'd be some explanation on the envelope -- "Damaged in transit" or some other such thing. No explanation makes it feel like plain old theft to me. I like to believe that people are honest -- most are -- but, unfortunately, there are bad people out there.

I always put these types of pins, etc., in a padded envelope and make them nondescript. You never know when someone is going to try and steal.

That's a shame that someone did that, Rob.

Thanks. Oh well. Next time I'll be more careful. It wasn't an expensive item. It's more the principal. No one likes to feel cheated.

it used to be a thing here in Ireland that your granny or auntie would send you money in a birthday card, nothing big, just a €20 note. and being grannys and aunties they would use those fancy envelopes that come with the Hallmark cards. Money was going missing so much that the police started warning people NOT to send money in the post. The same at Christmas, people are warned not to send money in the post.

The year the first Lord of the Rings movie came out in NZ we had some really gorgeous LOTR stamps. We used them on all the Christmas cards we sent to the UK. None of them made it to the recipients. Yep people will really steal anything! It's really disappointing for you Rob, such a shame!

I use to work in a sorting facility for the USPS.. The machines will eat a pin in a second :/ However, if they found it (which it might have fallen into the depths of the machine) they will put it in a baggy and still send it. I recommend sending pins in bubble envelops and they go through a different machine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!