*** Bay Lake Tower Owners Group***

We bought BLT because it's our favorite resort, the dues are lower than most, and it had a longer contract length (at the time of purchase in 2014). If we were to add-on at this point it would probably be at SSR for the lower purchase price. We bought resale before the crack down so have full member privileges (the privileges that matter lol)

Thank you for your reply! I totally understand those mid day breaks etc. the location is awesome no doubt!! I just have to figure out if it is worth the extra money ... it will take a long time for the extra mait fees to equal the extra cost for buying bay lake!! But, I get that your decsion was't financial... I know bay lake is awesome!
I could happily own at AK, too, so I think your original 300 at AK is fine! ;) The GV there is much more affordable than BLT on points, too.

Where do you really want to stay and I've missed what size villa your average trip will be. Is it studios? 1BR's or 2BR with the odd GV? If I understand correctly you'll be traveling in the summer and at Thanksgiving?
Yes, summer and thanksgiving maybe christmas too.. as long as school is out.. spring break.. etc. My husband wants spacious, so 1 bedroom and up, occasional studio maybe. His reason for doing this is nicer more spacious accomodations. I have only ever stayed at POP on property otherwise we have stayed at Bonnet creek and other hotels off site... so any of the DVC will be awesome to me, but I love AK in general, I know I will love it. we do spend lots of time at MK so I know BLT would be great too. My son is 9 but we are about to become foster parents, possibly adopt, so we may be adding to our family and we like to take family and friends as well when possible. thanks for trying to help me!!!

I could happily own at AK, too, so I think your original 300 at AK is fine! ;) The GV there is much more affordable than BLT on points, too.
I think they are all awesome and I don't think one could go wrong.... Yes, you can stay at AKV more affordably... thanks so much!

Hi Kim! I missed your post about fostering and possibly adopting! Congratulations!! EOE, Joining because our BLT contract passed ROFR today!

We picked BLT because our kids are small and while I like AK a lot and love the restaurants there, (stayed at AKL long ago), I really didn't like the idea of having to take a bus and fold a stroller any time we planned to leave the resort. We stayed at CR for our first on-property stay back in 2014, and I liked being able to walk to MK for a bit while DH stayed in the room with DD at naptime. Also, it is the only resort where you can easily go to any other resort by going to the bus station at MK (really like visiting other resorts for the food). So, overall, it was convenient and made the most sense for our family, at least right now. Although I liked the idea of a 1BR or larger, i felt like the size of our contract (160) would allow us to take longer trips in a studio or was enough to go studio to 1 BR in alternate years. I didn't want to overbuy at first because what if we didn't totally like it? Also we really love the Boardwalk area, the idea of walking to 2 parks (can you tell we like walking), and are foodies. So the idea of being near Epcot in the fall is also appealing. So maybe when the kids are older we might look at a similar seized contract at BWV or BCV, which would then allow us to bank and stay in 1BR every year but alternating between a MK resort and an EP resort. We'll see ... we are actually renting points at VGF and BCV this summer so all this planning could change dramatically if we love a resort we weren't originally considering.

Hi Kim! I missed your post about fostering and possibly adopting! Congratulations!! EOE, Joining because our BLT contract passed ROFR today!

We picked BLT because our kids are small and while I like AK a lot and love the restaurants there, (stayed at AKL long ago), I really didn't like the idea of having to take a bus and fold a stroller any time we planned to leave the resort. We stayed at CR for our first on-property stay back in 2014, and I liked being able to walk to MK for a bit while DH stayed in the room with DD at naptime. Also, it is the only resort where you can easily go to any other resort by going to the bus station at MK (really like visiting other resorts for the food). So, overall, it was convenient and made the most sense for our family, at least right now. Although I liked the idea of a 1BR or larger, i felt like the size of our contract (160) would allow us to take longer trips in a studio or was enough to go studio to 1 BR in alternate years. I didn't want to overbuy at first because what if we didn't totally like it? Also we really love the Boardwalk area, the idea of walking to 2 parks (can you tell we like walking), and are foodies. So the idea of being near Epcot in the fall is also appealing. So maybe when the kids are older we might look at a similar seized contract at BWV or BCV, which would then allow us to bank and stay in 1BR every year but alternating between a MK resort and an EP resort. We'll see ... we are actually renting points at VGF and BCV this summer so all this planning could change dramatically if we love a resort we weren't originally considering.
Congratulations on passing rofr!!! Thanks for the kind word about the fostering etc. We are excited and scared all at the same time!! I hear ya on the pros of bay lake... location and being able to take breaks is awesome I can imagine. Even when we stayed at pop we took breaks and went back on busses! I think that experience is why I know I will be ok with Akv, we had stroller back then too, mclaren that I was able to fold up easy etc. All that said, monorail and walking is much better for those issues. I also like BWV for proximity to HS and Epcot... star wars etc.... but they dont have true 2 bedrooms.. but I am kinda thinking about that too... seems like a super cool area in general. Now that my Thanksgiving trip is pretty much shot, I am not too in a hurry.... we will probably just do someting else for TG, I want to take my time and make the right decision!! If I can figure out what that is, that would be awesome! Super excited for ya'll!

I bought resale BLT in 2013 at $100 pp
We bought 400 points across 2 contracts. We bought there for a few reasons. First and foremost Location location location, a 5 min walk to MK can't be beat. You completely control your arrival and departure to MK without having to rely on any transportation. I personally really like the futuristic theming of the rooms. I think the overall offerings at the contemporary are fantastic, multiple good sit down options, top of the world lounge for fireworks, marina, etc.

Another thing to consider is the annual dues cost. Last time I priced it AKL was over $1pp more for annual dues. To me that removes the advantage to the cheaper purchase price. I have considered adding some points at other resorts, AKV, VGF, BWV, but we would pretty much always pick BLT if it was available, so that's why we haven't added anywhere else.

I'll be glad to answer any more specific questions about why we love BLT if you have them

Hi, I'm looking at BLT and the DVC folks indicated that you don't have access to the top of the world lounge if you buy resale because you only get a DVC member card if you buy direct. Is this accurate? Thanks in advance!!

Hi, I'm looking at BLT and the DVC folks indicated that you don't have access to the top of the world lounge if you buy resale because you only get a DVC member card if you buy direct. Is this accurate? Thanks in advance!!

No, that is not correct. Most perks are eliminated with resale but that is one that is still available. You wouldn't have access to the member lounge in Epcot but that is only guaranteed to everyone until the end of the year anyway.

They want to make a direct sale and some will say most anything to do that if resale comes up.

I am thinking of splitting my 300 points I want to buy between bay lake and AKV. I just had a 300 point contract taken by disney that was all for akv, really frustrated to have to start over! I have always liked the idea of bay lake but decided on AKV because I could get lots points for great price and I know I will love AKV as well! but, I do see the value in being so close to MK and monorail etc..... so now that I am shopping again, someone gave me this idea and I am considering.

I am wondering why you all thought it was worth it to buy at bay lake, especially those who are buying recently as the prices are over 100? It takes more points to stay there, it cost more points to buy there .... so I am interested in everyone's thought process or is it just emotional? Kinda like me and AKV.. I just would rather own there than SSR...

Thanks in advance!! KIM

I think you should buy where you want to stay! I know others may argue otherwise for financial reasons, but for me the deciding factor was home resort booking advantage! We love being so close to MK and being just a monorail ride from other MK resorts. We haved stayed at AK and really liked it but wouldnt be happy always staying there. And AK is huge so i knew I could probably always get a reservation at the 7 month mark if I wanted. Not the case with Bay Lake.

I think you should buy where you want to stay! I know others may argue otherwise for financial reasons, but for me the deciding factor was home resort booking advantage! We love being so close to MK and being just a monorail ride from other MK resorts. We haved stayed at AK and really liked it but wouldnt be happy always staying there. And AK is huge so i knew I could probably always get a reservation at the 7 month mark if I wanted. Not the case with Bay Lake.

I do like the idea of baylake... I wish it was cheaper! how many points do you own? Where can you go on the monorail? Can you make it to epcot? Thanks so much, KIM

No, that is not correct. Most perks are eliminated with resale but that is one that is still available. You wouldn't have access to the member lounge in Epcot but that is only guaranteed to everyone until the end of the year anyway.

They want to make a direct sale and some will say most anything to do that if resale comes up.

I thought all new resale contracts were subject to the new rule where they no longer get a member card or the extraneous membership benefits (TOTW lounge access being one)?

I thought all new resale contracts were subject to the new rule where they no longer get a member card or the extraneous membership benefits (TOTW lounge access being one)?

TOTWL is still available to resale buyers. They receive a virtual card to access it, rent DVD's and pool hop.

I am thinking of splitting my 300 points I want to buy between bay lake and AKV. I just had a 300 point contract taken by disney that was all for akv, really frustrated to have to start over! I have always liked the idea of bay lake but decided on AKV because I could get lots points for great price and I know I will love AKV as well! but, I do see the value in being so close to MK and monorail etc..... so now that I am shopping again, someone gave me this idea and I am considering.

I am wondering why you all thought it was worth it to buy at bay lake, especially those who are buying recently as the prices are over 100? It takes more points to stay there, it cost more points to buy there .... so I am interested in everyone's thought process or is it just emotional? Kinda like me and AKV.. I just would rather own there than SSR...

Thanks in advance!! KIM
We just bought a resale contract at BLT. We also own at BWV. We bought BLT this time because we want the 11-month booking window there. Some of our trips are during the busy DVC times and we want to be able to get in at BLT during those times. I love WDW at Christmas time and we like to go during the first couple of weeks in December, but trying to book a studio during that time is challenging if you don't have the 11-month booking window.

If AKV is your favorite and you love staying there, I would say buy there. But if you like both AKV and BLT, then go for the split.

Sending you lots of pixie dust for your next offer!!!pixiedust:

TOTWL is not one of the "extraneous membership benefits". It's actually part of BLT and it's upkeep is paid for with our DVC dues. Because of this, it can't be limited to just some owners and not others. I think the only limit I've heard on members is that during super busy times, it is limited to members staying AT BLT. Otherwise, if you are staying at a different DVC location, you can use it too.

So... new BLT soon-to-be owner here: we have some extra points from 2017 we aren't using, so we are going to take 2 trips to WDW in 2018, in February (President's week) and T-giving. DH really wants to stay at our home resort first, and we do love BLT, but I'm wondering what you think of sleeping arrangements in the studio for our family - 2 adults and 2 girls, age 6 and 2? The 2 year old won't be 3 until the end of 2018, so in February 2018 I think she'll still be in a pack and play or crib, but I'm wondering WHERE THAT WILL GO? ODD is fine in the sofa bed; our recent stays at GF and at a hotel in Hawaii, ODD had a sofa bed to herself and then the baby was in a crib. But it doesn't seem like there's room for that at BLT? By 2019 I figure they'll be sharing the sofa bed, so I'm not as concerned about studios after that - we live in NYC so we are used to tight spaces.

So... new BLT soon-to-be owner here: we have some extra points from 2017 we aren't using, so we are going to take 2 trips to WDW in 2018, in February (President's week) and T-giving. DH really wants to stay at our home resort first, and we do love BLT, but I'm wondering what you think of sleeping arrangements in the studio for our family - 2 adults and 2 girls, age 6 and 2? The 2 year old won't be 3 until the end of 2018, so in February 2018 I think she'll still be in a pack and play or crib, but I'm wondering WHERE THAT WILL GO? ODD is fine in the sofa bed; our recent stays at GF and at a hotel in Hawaii, ODD had a sofa bed to herself and then the baby was in a crib. But it doesn't seem like there's room for that at BLT? By 2019 I figure they'll be sharing the sofa bed, so I'm not as concerned about studios after that - we live in NYC so we are used to tight spaces.

There's actually a large space at the entry of the studios. Or the large galley kitchen would possibly have room for the pack n play but I think many use the space by the door.

There's actually a large space at the entry of the studios. Or the large galley kitchen would possibly have room for the pack n play but I think many use the space by the door.

Ooh! I'll have to check it out - that would be ideal! THANKS!!

We just contacted the guide that was on the Wonder last week about getting 100 points at BLT. We've been looking at it since before it was built, finally decided to pull the trigger. Does anyone have experience lately of buying direct at BLT and going on the wait list?

We just contacted the guide that was on the Wonder last week about getting 100 points at BLT. We've been looking at it since before it was built, finally decided to pull the trigger. Does anyone have experience lately of buying direct at BLT and going on the wait list?

I'll answer my own question in case others have the same question. It took less than a week to get a September use year and the contract comes with 100 points still available from 2016.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter