Barnstormer for a 2 year old?

goofykb03

Mouseketeer
We are taking our son for his first Disney trip in July. He just turned 2 last week, so he'll be barely more than 25 months old. He's 35" so tall enough for the Barnstormer. Anyone have experience taking a very young one on it and did they love or hate it? He's generally excited about theme park rides and nothing really seems to scare him, but of course interest and excitement don't always equate with the real experience once they get on there. I have friend who took young kids on rides they BEGGED to go on, then they were terrified and refused to ride anything after that... I don't want to break his spirit if he finds it to be too scary, but if he asks to do it, do we take him on? Curious to hear of your experiences with the little ones. We were thinking maybe we walk him by and see if he asks (rather than offering/asking him if he wants to) but I'm still a little wary that he may not realize what he's getting in to, haha.

My 21 month old was petrified of Dumbo after we got on it.....made me glad I had cancelled the Barnstormer FP earlier in the day when she was napping. While she's definitely TALL enough, she was in no way mature enough for Barnstormer.

If he can handle other rides, he'll probably be fine. There is only one way to find out....

Every kid is different! My older 2 could not wait to go on our DL version, but they were short little kids and were probably almost 4 before they went on it. My youngest is almost 3 and tall enough, but randomly gets skittish on things she’s ridden before and loved, like Mater so we will probably pass until she’s past this phase.

I agree that every child is different. Two is really young, and of my 3 kids, only my oldest liked rides like that at age 2.

We took my son on it about a week before he turned 2. He rode it 3 times in a row and we were going to ride it again, but they changed CMs and suddenly he wasn't tall enough anymore. He seemed to really enjoy it though and was the one to initiate going on it repeatedly but running abck into the line each time after we got off. If you're concerned about it scaring him, do it towards the end of the day. The lines will be pretty short then too.

You know your child best. If you can't gauge if they will like it or not the only way to find out is take him on (IF HE WANTS TO GO ON THAT IS.)
My niece went on Splash Mountain, Soarin', and Test Track at 2yrs4mons and loved them.
She cried after TT because she didn't want to get out of the car to wait in line to go back on.

We are taking our son for his first Disney trip in July. He just turned 2 last week, so he'll be barely more than 25 months old. He's 35" so tall enough for the Barnstormer. Anyone have experience taking a very young one on it and did they love or hate it? He's generally excited about theme park rides and nothing really seems to scare him, but of course interest and excitement don't always equate with the real experience once they get on there. I have friend who took young kids on rides they BEGGED to go on, then they were terrified and refused to ride anything after that... I don't want to break his spirit if he finds it to be too scary, but if he asks to do it, do we take him on? Curious to hear of your experiences with the little ones. We were thinking maybe we walk him by and see if he asks (rather than offering/asking him if he wants to) but I'm still a little wary that he may not realize what he's getting in to, haha.

Our little one is a real dare-devil and now loves coasters. His first one was at our local Legoland when he hit 35 inches and only just 2. We went there first thing in the morning, watched it a few times and talked about how it goes up, then down then round and round, and that everyone was enjoying it. Then we got in the queue and he stood and watched a couple of trains full of people go ahead of us. Then it was our turn and he refused! So we stood at the front of the queue and watched another couple of trains go through letting other people by. Soon enough he wanted to have a turn and after that there was no stopping him - we went 3 or 4 times round back to back!

On our recent wdw trip he was 2 yrs and 9 months and just tall enough for Barnstormer and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, he was about 39 inches.

We showed him both before we did them, and we didn’t have any issues at all. He just got straight on and we ended up doing SDMT twice and Barnstomer countless times early in the mornings.

I think if your little one likes fast things like swings and roundabouts then it is worth showing him and letting him decide. Don’t force the issue - explain what will happen and what it will feel like, but don’t be disappointed if they bail on you - toddlers love to change their minds. If you get to the front of the queue and they get a bit scared just wait a while and let others go past. Head there early in the morning before the queue builds up so you can just take your time and you may end up with a mini coaster junkie like ours on your hands :)

Did I mention that my husband is petrified of coasters?! He now has to grin and bear it because little bean says “papa will you come with me please?” and who can say no to a cute little face when they look at you like you are a hero!?

Ydd was 2.5 on our last trip and loved Barnstormer! She still talks about it and looks forward to going on it on our next trip (this December, when she’ll be 5.5), though I think she’ll be disappointed in it after she tries some of the bigger coasters. :rotfl:

I think I’d probably walk him by it and mention it’s an option if he thinks he wants to try it.

I personally can't handle the barnstormer - it shakes and rattles wayyy too much. But my twins loved it from the moment they were tall enough to ride. Don't get a fastpass for it. There is always same FP availability on the app for Barnstormer after you use up your first three FPs, so no need to waste one one it and then feel you missed out if you decide not to go.

Really depends on the kid. My DD is 6 and is still terrified of all roller coasters (barnstormer and SDMT), test track, and soarin’. We took my soon to be 3 year old and he rode all those rides and loved them all.

Our 2 year old 7DMT and Barnstormer! At 3 she loved ToT so yeah, she's a daredevil. Hopefully this year she will be tall enough for Space Mountain!

Thanks all! Truthfully, DH and I both love coasters and we are hoping our little guy will too, but I certainly wouldn’t want to pressure him. I mainly was wondering if kids that young asking to ride actually liked it so I’d have a better idea of whether to go with it if he says he wants to try!

DD was 2.5 years and 36 inches. She LOVED it and we rode multiple times. Talked about it for months. Went back earlier this month and she’s now 3. Still a huge hit for her.

I think if he expresses interest, I would definitely do it. I wouldn’t intentionally hold him back from it if he expresses interest in it. But that is me!

You won’t know until you try. Our oldest was scared To go on a regular playground swing but had a blast on 7DMT. There was some momentary hesitation right before boarding, and then he laughed for the length of the ride.

My 2.5 year old loved Barnstormer and still talks about it 6 months later. He was barely tall enough and I felt the need to hold on tight around the curves. We eased him into rides, and had no problem at all!

Our daughter was 23 months when she rode it the first time and it went fine but she didn't want to ride again after the first ride. She is very cautious about new things. She wasn't upset or anything, but wasn't interested in another round. We will see how it goes the next time we visit when she is closer to 3. I feel like it is worth a try if he seems like he wants to get on the ride.

This was my sons favorite ride at this age! We rode it a ton and he would look scared to death the whole time and we’d pull back in and he’d want to do it all over again! I think it just really depends on the child and you’ve got to try it to find out.

My son rode Barnstormer when he was 23 months. He loved it, but he loves any rollercoaster type things. This year he’s tall enough for 7DMT and we can’t wait to get him on that!

I agree with the every kid is different. We took our youngest and she was 2 1/2. She hated it but has since been on it as she got older.

We did the Disneyland equivalent (Go-Coaster?) with my daughter when she was 2 and a half. She LOVED it but just barely made it on height. My husband did feel the need to hang tight to her around curves. She's not afraid of much (she loved Pirates and Haunted Mansion too at that age).

Fingers crossed that your little one enjoys it too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter