Barca33Runner's Journal: Thanks For Noticin' Me(Comments Welcome)

Changed the title to reflect that at long last I am posting my DS Weekend Trip Report. It also reflected my thoughts upon seeing the Finish Line for the Half Marathon.

Thursday

Even though I was not running the 5K I wanted to get to WDW and have a bit of a vacation. This was the first weekend where I didn't have the specter of a Full Marathon looming over things somewhat (2012 Half was my first race of any distance ever, so I wasn't exactly relaxing that weekend). My flight arrived on schedule and DME went perfectly (although I lamented POR being the last stop, as always). POR is a very comfortable resort for me and I was happy to be staying there for a racecation again after staying offsite in January for Marathon Weekend. I made a rookie mistake, however, during the plane ride and DME and arrived at my room with no battery on my phone. I decided to plug it in and head to the food court for dinner while it charged instead of heading directly to MK. It actually worked out really well; the food was good (I had a Muffuletta), I got a decent charge on my phone, and I still made it to MK by 6:30 which was well before my first FP+ on Splash Mountain.

Since I was there a little earlier than expected and no longer had to worry about dinner, I decided to ride an attraction I had not been on since I was a kid, Haunted Mansion. I had no affinity for this attraction, but I had heard good things about it from others and decided I needed to give it another chance. The stand-by queue was only 20 minutes and I really enjoyed all of the special touches while waiting in line. The ride itself? I liked the pre-show, but it just felt like the same thing I experienced as a kid: poor effect definition, bad line of sight, poor audio, and just generally a meh experience. I don't like criticizing things, but I'll leave that one for people who enjoy it. I did find the photos in Memento Mori to be quite cool though.

From there it was over to Splash Mountain. I love that ride and because I was solo, ended up in the front of a boat by myself. I got a little more wet than usual, but it was great as always. I headed over and picked up a citrus swirl on the way to 7DMT for my first time on that ride. I must say, I don't understand in the slightest how they arrived at the late stage queue procedure they did for that ride; sorting people into multiple more lines and passing them off to a different CM to figure out what to do with all those lines. It seemed like part of the reason the wait is always so long for that ride. They just didn;t seem to be moving people through very quickly. Anyway, it was pretty good. I won't feel too bad if I miss out in future trips, but it has some charm.

My biggest plan for the night was to see Wishes. It became clear when I was walking around after 7DMT that this wasn't likely to happen. The lawns and all of the viewing areas were completely full over 1.5 hours from when the show was starting. I have no patience for waiting that long for something and I didn't want to bother others by forcing my way in at the last moment. Anyway, I went over to my last FP+ at Space Ranger Spin and then decided to head home. I was going to the buses about 20 minutes before Wishes started and was shocked that there were more people arriving than there were leaving. I'm disappointed that I missed the show, but that was going to be a giant cluster-bleep afterward and I was completely OK with my decision to leave. YouTube exists for a reason.

Friday

My sister was getting in at Noon and I was determined to hit Epcot before she arrived. It was a beautiful morning and I was really impressed with the Flower and Garden Festival. Here are a couple early morning pics:
IMG_1559 (2).JPG IMG_1560 (2).JPG
I had FP+ for later in the day with my sister at AK, so I was happy that the early queues were not bad at all. My plan was similar to the night before and I was opening with an attraction that wasn't my favorite, Soarin'. I haven't been on Soarin' since they updated the ride. We would rather use FP+ on other things and aren't keen on waiting more than about 15 minutes for it, so it never happens. Anyway, it was a walk-on for me on this particular morning and I have to say: exact opposite experience to Haunted Mansion. I really enjoyed the ride and could appreciate its appeal. It will be my goal that when I go to Epcot in the future to try and get there early to ride Soarin' before the wait gets past my threshhold.

Next, I headed to TT and rode in the single rider line. I got a little upset seeing some kids who chose the single rider line decide that they were going to ride together and cause delays as the CM's tried to figure out how a couple got booted out of their seats and where things got messed up. It wasn't worth saying anything, but I'm not a fan of people who take advantage of the good nature of others and/or blatantly disregard rules. After that, I hit the main purpose of my visit Les Halles. I love Les Halles so much. I'm pretty sure I could get absolutely anything they serve and be happy. My target today was the Palmier. It feels funny to have a go to at Les Halles, because I want to try everything, but the Palmier it my go to. Light, chocolaty and delicious.

From there I headed back to POR in plenty of time to meet my sister. We had lunch at the food court and headed to the expo. The expo was a much more relaxed experience than Marathon Weekend. There was actually room to walk around and look at things without feeling rushed or like we just wanted to escape the throngs of people. I was even able to pick up a pair of the NB Toy Story shoes for my Dad as a Thank You for watching McFly during the trip and helping me build a new deck this summer. He had seen them during Marathon Weekend and made a comment and it's pretty rare for him to express interest in anything so I made a mental note and figured if I had the chance I'd get them for him.

We had our first FP+ at AK for EE at 4:45 and made it in plenty of time. We walked around for a while beforehand, when we were here in January the park was absolutely packed and that wasn't really an option, and figured out where Yak & Yeti was located since we had only been to AK once before. EE is always fun and our dinner reservation was at 5:15 so we did our FP+ and headed over for dinner. We both had the Malaysian Seafood Curry and it was fantastic. Our remaining FP+ were for Kilimanjaro Safari and Rivers of Light. Both of our times on KS we've had pretty cool experiences. First time in January we passed within touching distance of a rhino and this time it was within touching distance of a few giraffes. I think we've had pretty good luck with the animals we've seen and their proximity. We went back over to EE and saw the wait was only 20 minutes so we jumped on again before RoL. It was the first time I've seen my name during the queue on any ride:
IMG_1565 (2).JPG

RoL was next and we picked up some soft serve waffle cones before heading in (mmm... soft serve). We waited for about 45 minutes for the show to start. I guess I didn't mind it this time because there was slightly more organized seating than for Wishes. The show was a bit underwhelming. It was fine, but I guess I expected a little better than fine. It seems like there is still some room for improvement. We exited right next to the queue for EE and decided to go once more before leaving for the night. It was a really cool experience at night, particularly seeing the other parks and surrounding area while heading up the hill. After that we headed back to POR, knowing full well we were only going to get aobut 5 hours of sleep before waking up for the 10K.

Saturday

It really felt too early to wake up, but we knew the drill and headed over to the bus at about 4 AM. Made it to the race in plenty of time. We didn't wait in line for any of the picture opportunities. The lines were very long and we were ready to get running. My sister was in A for the 10K and I was in B. The race went well for me, I finished in a little over an hour and made a couple picture stops:
IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1585.JPG
I wasn't in the shape I had hoped to be for these races, but the 10K was a good time and I wasn't disappointed in my run. We didn't stick around for long afterward, we had plans at MK.

After a quick stop at POR to shower and shed some gear we headed over to MK for a few hours. We had FP+ for 7DMT, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain but weren't all that worried with what we did. We went to Gaston's Tavern for a cinnamon roll when we got there. It was really excellent. We hit a few rides, including our first couple FP+ before having lunch at Peco's Bills. The nachos were an excellent tasting choice, but a very, very not so smart choice for someone running a Half Marathon the next day. I paid the price for having them for sure, but I had pretty much given up on anything approximating a good time in the Half by then anyway because of the heat. We went on a couple more rides, but skipped out before out our FP+ on Thunder Mountain. It was Hot, and we wanted to relax at POR before heading to Paddlefish at DS for dinner with our grandparents.

Paddlefish was pretty disappointing to me. The food was perfectly fine. We all enjoyed what we had (I had the conch chowder and shared the crab fries while trying to avoid eating too much), but it just felt pricey for what it was (even by Disney standards). I think we have other places we'd choose to eat before going back, but we wouldn't avoid it on purpose during future trips. We made it a much earlier night and headed back to POR by 7.

Sunday

It just seems impossible to feel awake for these challenge races. I think I got about as much sleep as I ever have before a race, but it still felt like too little. I knew straight away that I was going to have GI issues during the race, but it ended up being worse than I expected. I spent much of the time before the race in line for facilities and trying to get feeling better, so I didn't really take much note of the festivities. Despite this I only made it a mile running before I had to switch to self-preservation mode. This involves switching to imperfect intervals where I count quickly to 60 in English while walking and slowly to 100 in German while running. I don't know how I came up with this strategy, but I have used it in basically every Marathon I've run. I usually don't have to use it during Half Marathons, but this was going to be a bad day. I ended up stopping four times for restrooms on course and going a full 2-mile stretch after exiting AK walking because I had to go so badly that I didn't think I could risk running. Anyway, all those issues combined with the heat combined for a much different look on my face during most of my pictures:
IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

I was happy to be done, but skipped past pictures so we could get back and head to Epcot as soon as possible. We made a pretty quick turn around, but our only goals for the day were to ride Frozen Ever After for the first time and to try a lot of Flower and Garden Kiosks. We hit Test Track first before heading back to Les Halles. I got a nice pic with my pal Eeyore on the way:
IMG_1574.JPG
We hit Les Halles for a pastry and then a couple of the pop-up kiosks as they were opening and made our way back to FEA. FEA was basically the last major attraction we'd never been on, so it was cool to finally get to experience it. It was nice, although I think my experience was skewed more heavily to the positive side because of how nice it was to get out of the sun and heat. We decided to make a lunch ADR at Marrakesh to get out of the heat. We weren't super hungry because of the eating we'd already done and, have I mentioned, it was hot. The Jasmina salad was perfect in the heat and wasn't too filling. We walked around a little while longer afterward, but we were just tired and the weather really didn't make an eat and drink around the world appetizing. We headed back to POR early and rested while waiting for our evening dinner at Boatwright's. We moved our reservation from 9 to 7, had a nice dinner and headed to bed early.

Monday

My sister was headed home and had DME for 8:00-ish. I headed out at the same time to head to Hollywood Studios. It was a fun few hours before I headed back for a rest. Did Midway Mania, RnRR (x3), ToT, Star Tours, saw the Beauty and the Beast show, and had a Carrot Cake Cookie in about 4 hours before heading back to POR. My DME was scheduled for 5:50 the next morning so that kind of held me back the whole day. I packed so that I could head out once more before calling it a trip. My choice was to head to DS to walk around and grab dinner or to head to Epcot, grab dinner and head to HS for Fantasmic! I chose DS and regretted it from the moment I got there. I didn't have a bad time, per se, I just was regretting not heading back to the parks.

Wrap-up

All in all it was a great trip. I learned experiencing the parks solo wasn't ideal, but did give me a chance to get a lot of things done. The races reminded me that I have a long way to go in my running adventure and that even distances that had seemed comfortable in the past could be very unpleasant if I'm not in the proper condition. Now it's a long wait until next January for another Disney adventure. I've got plenty of work to do to prepare for Dopey #5 though and plan on posting weekly with my progress.

Thanks for reading along and hope you enjoyed the Trip Report.

Thanks for your Dark Side trip report. Too bad you didn't care for Haunted Mansion, I love that ride. Sucks for the CMs when people try to flim-flam or play dumb in the single rider line for sure, it messes them all up in their counts/loading.

So sad to hear you had issues during the half, but way to go getting it done! Running with GI issues & in that humdidity, amazing job! Great run in the 10k too! I loved the fan groups out during the races! Same here on the long wait till Jan for the next Disney adventure, but just the marathon.

Thanks for your Dark Side trip report. Too bad you didn't care for Haunted Mansion, I love that ride. Sucks for the CMs when people try to flim-flam or play dumb in the single rider line for sure, it messes them all up in their counts/loading.

So sad to hear you had issues during the half, but way to go getting it done! Running with GI issues & in that humdidity, amazing job! Great run in the 10k too! I loved the fan groups out during the races! Same here on the long wait till Jan for the next Disney adventure, but just the marathon.

I think it was a case of mismanaged expectations on Haunted Mansion. I had some memories from the ride as a kid, mistakenly thought there had been a bit of a revamp, and was disappointed when it all felt the same. So I have to attribute some blame to myself. I wouldn't mind riding it again in the future, I'll just continue to not really go out of my way to do so. Everybody has a few attractions like that.

Great report! Sorry that you struggled with GI issues on the half, but great job on finishing under tough conditions. Epcot looks beautiful during flower & garden!!

I think I get a little ashamed of posting when I am in a bit of a funk. I've not kept to much of a schedule in the period after finishing Dark Side and while I would like to blame it on taking a scheduled break to recover, it's just been laziness on my part preventing me from getting my act together. It's time to start thinking about Dopey #5 and my overriding goal to get to the weekend feeling like I will enjoy a Full Marathon and feel totally prepared for the first time. I'm not sure what type of time that will lead to, so there are no goals in that department. This is really more of a mental thing; knowing I put in the work and prepared myself to the fullest extent possible (something I haven't achieved in years past).

Anyway, to that end, it was just a 31:00 5K on the treadmill but I got back running today and while I can't say it felt good, my legs didn't hurt and emotionally I felt great afterward knowing that I've made the first step to get out of that lazy funk. I've got a long way to go this time around, but now that I've taken that first step I can start to envision the goal in front of me. I am looking forward to trying to achieve it.

I think feeling good and actually looking forward to a Full Marathon is always an excellent goal ;)

As this journal documents, I've made a lot of lofty time goals for myself in the past. I always fall into the same trap and get down on myself when I fall behind in training or start to realize I can't achieve my goal. At that point, I usually pack it in and go into survival mode and do the bare minimum to leave me confident in finishing. This time I want to enter the Weekend knowing that I've done my best rather than just knowing I am going to be able to finish. Without a time goal, it is all about the training and putting in the miles. It's a new approach and I think it will be better for me.

I've been in a major running funk since completing the Tink weekend, so I'm with you on trying to get my motivation back for training for Dopey. I really didn't want to get out of bed and run today, but ended up having a pretty good run and that always helps to get my mental approach in a better place.

I feel like I am officially back in the swing of things. I've run for four straight days, started to reel in my diet a bit and started seeing some weight loss. It's baby steps right now and four days isn't much, but I think I am starting to remember why I liked running in the first place. Forming a habit and routine is really important for me, getting out of those things in the last few years has been what has made all of this feel like a chore. I try to keep reminding myself of this and using it as motivation to get out there each day and not fall into my trap of excuses. Good habits build on themselves and so do bad ones.

Keeping this journal is also important to my success. I think I am going to try and post some Disney related things when I don't necessarily have running related news in the future to try and maintain consistency in this aspect of my journey. Accountability is important, but I feel so bored writing up daily running reports, maybe filling in some days with Disney and other stuff may help keep me a little more active here as well. On that note, I finally saw the live action Beauty and the Beast last night (my social anxiety and lack of anyone to attend movies with makes it rare for me to see anything in the theater) and I think I'll post a few of my thoughts tomorrow.

Scheduled rest day yesterday. It was supposed to be my day to mow the lawn but the weather didn't cooperate. I'll have to mow the lawn and run on the same day sometime later this week.

Not sure how to structure this or whether anyone will have any interest, but here were my thoughts on the live action Beauty and the Beast:

-My overwhelming takeaway was that the tempo and cadence of many of the songs were changed in a way that wasn't flattering to them. I'm not sure if this was done to accommodate the vocal talents (or their shortcomings) or if it was a decision made with a nod the omnipresent remake/redo of a song motto, "I've got to make it my own." Either way there wasn't a single time when I felt that the changes were good ones.

-"Belle" is probably, with "Part of Your World", my favorite Disney song. As a piece of exposition and as a song it is near perfection for me and I think it is the strongest opening number Disney has ever done. They kind of butchered it here by slowing it so much with too many twee winks at the audience. I wouldn't say it set a good tone for my overall impressions and it may have shaded my impression of the musical numbers overall.

-Emma Watson is beautiful, a wonderful actor, and her vocals were perfectly acceptable. It's still hard not to picture her as Hermione. I found myself wondering how things might have been different if someone other than Lily James had been cast as Cinderella and she appeared here as Belle. I have no idea if she would have the vocal ability, but I believe her look and lesser notoriety would have made for an easier suspension of disbelief.

-I am sure this will be my most unpopular opinion, but Josh Gad is too much a stage actor on screen for me. He is capital A acting and scene-chewing every time he appears. I don't dislike him and I think the look/tone for LeFou and a lot of the background work was very good, but when he was the focus of a scene he was really laying it on thick.

-Luke Evans was my favorite aspect of the movie, primarily because he played Gaston so true to the animated character. Once again, I think the whole "make it your own" mentality played poorly for many of the acting choices in addition to what I said earlier about the songs.

-Opposite end of the staying true to the original spectrum: Emma Thompson doing a weird Angela Lansbury impression as Mrs. Potts.

-All of the added plot points (mothers, relationships with villagers, etc.) felt like half ideas. Sometimes you have to let the audience infer some things instead of movie-splaining everything to them.

Those are the nit picks. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to movies and I was certainly entertained. I'll try to figure out some other things to give my unsolicited thoughts about in the future.

I also had a hard time not seeing Emma Watson the actress initially. We ended up seeing the movie a second time in the theater though and I actually found that I was able to enjoy her in the role far more the second time and see her more legitimately as Belle. I agree that Lily James might well have been a great choice as well. I also agree that Josh Gad is a major scene-chewer, but I just enjoy him so much, I didn't mind it. And also agree that I thought Luke Evans blew it out of the park. He played that role to perfection.

I'm happy I just found your training journal! Sometimes I just don't notice people's signature and what's on them, but today your journal link caught my eye! I really enjoyed your trip report of Dark Side weekend. GI issues during a race are the worst, and I can't imagine combining that with heat and humidity! It sounds like overall that you enjoyed your weekend though. Great job on accomplishing those races!

And it sounds like you're in a great running groove! I find that I can't really focus on time as my main goals for running. Time for me is a byproduct of the miles put in, plus healthy living, but if I ever try and focus on it, I start to run into problems.

Also, I agreed with a few of your Beauty and the Beast points, but overall I really loved the movie. I think they kind of a had an impossible task of re-doing what to me is perfect movie in the animated one. In some points they succeeded more than others, but I think the cast was great and I just love the story/music so much (I've enjoyed several local productions of the broadway play too, so I guess in any form I love Beauty and the Beast!).

It's embarrassing how long I've neglected my journal. I think I was considering just making a post acknowledging that I didn't have time and shutting it down, but that seems highly counterproductive. So...I'm going to go the exact opposite direction and going streaking! Be prepared for daily gems like, "I ran five miles yesterday. It wasn't fun at the time but feels good now" or "Recovery day. 30 minutes on the elliptical". I know, I know...you can barely contain your excitement.

Anyway, my excitement for running has always been at it's peak when I've been posting and having fun with the journey, so I need to get back to more of that. I'll start tomorrow sharing some details on my just planned, but very quickly arriving, trip for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

It's embarrassing how long I've neglected my journal. I think I was considering just making a post acknowledging that I didn't have time and shutting it down, but that seems highly counterproductive. So...I'm going to go the exact opposite direction and going streaking! Be prepared for daily gems like, "I ran five miles yesterday. It wasn't fun at the time but feels good now" or "Recovery day. 30 minutes on the elliptical". I know, I know...you can barely contain your excitement.

Anyway, my excitement for running has always been at it's peak when I've been posting and having fun with the journey, so I need to get back to more of that. I'll start tomorrow sharing some details on my just planned, but very quickly arriving, trip for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

OOOOH, which day are you going to the Mickey party? I have to wait until actual Halloween and I've been looking for good reviews online of the 2017 event now that it has officially started. I was out of town with no internet for the night of the first party and secretly wished I could access twitter to see if anyone was posting pictures.

OOOOH, which day are you going to the Mickey party? I have to wait until actual Halloween and I've been looking for good reviews online of the 2017 event now that it has officially started. I was out of town with no internet for the night of the first party and secretly wished I could access twitter to see if anyone was posting pictures.

The 15th (ETA: of September). I'll definitely post pictures and a review of my experience. I'm kind of way too excited about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter