Barca33Runner's Journal: Thanks For Noticin' Me(Comments Welcome)

Not to discourage you, but I've been running early for5 years and I still don't hop out of bed with excitement. :). But, it does get easier. Keep it up

The only time I hop when getting out of bed is when I accidentally step on my husbands belt on the floor.
Congrats on beating the snooze button so far!

Great to see you're able to stick with the early mornings! Inspired by you, I tried to wake up early yesterday to get my run in. Didn't work. I still got it in, just later in the afternoon!

I made the switch because it was becoming far too easy for me to just blow off a run after getting home from work. This way, I have to run; otherwise I'd just be waking up early for no reason. It's good motivation.

It's such a tough adjustment to make -for me the hardest part is just actually waking up and getting out of bed. Once I get past that I'm good. Love, like you said, the sense of accomplishment and not having to work out in the evening, more time to sit on the couch! :)

It's nice getting home and sitting on the couch and not feeling guilty all night, that's for sure.

Not to discourage you, but I've been running early for5 years and I still don't hop out of bed with excitement. :). But, it does get easier. Keep it up
I've been alive for way more than five years, and I never hop out of bed with excitement. :)
The only time I hop when getting out of bed is when I accidentally step on my husbands belt on the floor.
Congrats on beating the snooze button so far!

I think I picked a bad turn of phrase there. I think I'm looking forward to rolling out of bed in tacit acceptance of my plight. You're all right, hopping out of bed in excitement is just not going to happen.

Cutting it very close again today. 6 miles this morning, 10 for tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Good luck to anyone running Chicago. If the weather is anything like it was today, it'll be a tough one.

Seeing the pictures from Chicago got me a little more excited for each of the medals. They all look like they’ll be good additions to the collection. Early mornings still going strong, headed to bed a little earlier than normal so I can get some better sleep.

Chiming in as someone that switched to AM runs this year. Like you, it got too easy to find an excuse to not get my runs in after work. Like @Ariel484, actually getting out of bed is the hardest part for me. Once I'm up and moving, getting out the door for my run is no big deal. And I feel super accomplished before I even get to work! All of that to say, I don't love the earlier alarm but prefer that to the guilt/sluggishness I feel if I miss/skip a run.

And, it does get easier! It is enough of a routine now (meaning, my body has adjusted to earlier bed/wake times and I have figured out how to get out the door more efficiently) that I'm thinking about adding an extra weekday running day in during the spring cycle, because why not? (shhh, don't tell @DopeyBadger yet)

And, it does get easier! It is enough of a routine now (meaning, my body has adjusted to earlier bed/wake times and I have figured out how to get out the door more efficiently) that I'm thinking about adding an extra weekday running day in during the spring cycle, because why not? (shhh, don't tell @DopeyBadger yet)

Probably shouldn't tag me if you want to keep it quiet..... :D

Another good day today. Nothing really to report on the running front.

On a completely different subject but tangentially related to these boards, I've been watching the new DuckTales and while they are OK I'm really unimpressed with the animation. I don't really know why Disney has gone with this slightly minimalist form of animation with a few of their new shows (new Mickey cartoons, Tangled, etc.) but it just looks cheap. I'm sure there's some type of explanation for it outside of cost, but I would much rather they spent money to stay closer to the original animation and story tone than getting David Tennant to voice Scrooge. I can't imagine that getting name actors to voice all of the characters was cheap and I won't say any of them are doing a bad job, but it feels completely unnecessary. It's not ruining my favorite childhood cartoon, but it feels pretty inferior to the original.

Looks like I am going to be cancelling my Half on Nov. 4. Didn't get accommodations booked and it's really not worth a 3-hour trip the night before to the Expo and then another 3 hours driving on the day of the race while needing to find parking in downtown Indy both times. I'm not racing for anything other than finishing and at this point of my (non)training it's pretty clear that I'd be very disappointed in myself on race day.

This is probably about as low as I've been during my time running. I've lost so much fitness over the last couple years because of laziness and apathy and it's getting harder to try and find the motivation to get it back. This is what I was talking about in my post about getting my new scale, but it had been building for so much longer. I wake up everyday and my clothes are fitting tighter and I see pictures of myself and I feel ashamed. Even when things were going well my social anxiety made me feel like I was doing this all for nothing. I wanted to find more self-confidence and maybe finally be able to meet and create real connections with people; I guess I'm just not cut out for that sort of thing. Anyway, it's like I am back to square one; I worked so hard for so long to improve myself and I've undone almost all of it.

I'm going to keep trying to make the changes I know I need. Waking up early to train and following through with that plan has been a good first step, but I know I have so much farther to go and it is so daunting.

Even when things were going well my social anxiety made me feel like I was doing this all for nothing.
Do it for yourself! For your happiness, your confidence...that’s not nothing. That’s important.
Anyway, it's like I am back to square one; I worked so hard for so long to improve myself and I've undone almost all of it.
I have SO been there, and I get how frustrating it is. I get that feeling of being ashamed. The good news is that you can begin again...during the multiple times I had to start from scratch i would just tell myself, “it sucks now but you’ll feel better in a week - thing of how you’ll feel in two weeks! A month!”

And maybe the victory here is now you can sort of catch when things aren’t going the way you want them to, reassess and move forward. That’s worth something.
I'm going to keep trying to make the changes I know I need. Waking up early to train and following through with that plan has been a good first step, but I know I have so much farther to go and it is so daunting.
Maybe setting small goals would help?

Also...don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re taking steps to make positive changes and should be proud of that! :yay:

Oh man, I'm sorry to read about your current disappointment. I've been there too when I've let things go after lots of hard work to achieve some goal. It stinks. But we are always our own worst critics, so give yourself a break!! You are taking steps to get back where you want to be and those first steps are always the hardest. You have the advantage of knowing you've done it before and you can do it again!! Chin up and just keep taking the next step!

Hey Barca,

I'm there with you. I've had injury upon injury since I ran the marathon in January. That's led to weight gain and a slow working back but I'm nowhere near where I was even 10 months ago. It's great to see the commitment you've had to your morning run schedule and that in itself is something to be proud of.

Trust the process. The daily grind of getting out there and running and if not running, then doing something, even if it's small, to get you closer to you goals.

You're already doing it. Just stay the course.

Thanks for the pick-me-ups @Ariel484 @ZellyB and @mankle30 . I was pretty down yesterday (I think the collapse of the Indians wasn't helping things). Nothing is ever as easy as I want it to be and getting back on track is proving to be more difficult than just thinking positively and a few early mornings. I keep reminding myself that my initial journey was a long process and results were never immediate, but it's still tough. I know it was the happiest I've ever been and I know I can do even better in the future. Thanks for reminding me that I can make it happen.

Thanks for the pick-me-ups @Ariel484 @ZellyB and @mankle30 . I was pretty down yesterday (I think the collapse of the Indians wasn't helping things).
Being the pessimistic Clevelander than I am, I started emotionally detaching during game 2 when we were down 8-3. So by yesterday I was sort of over it. Still a little bummed though! WHAT HAPPENED??! :sad: I have so many questions. Maybe I’m not as over it as I thought......

Dopey #5 - that’s your carrot! Think of how fun that weekend will be, and even more fun if you’ve busted your @$$ to get ready for it. Eyes on the prize!

Being the pessimistic Clevelander than I am, I started emotionally detaching during game 2 when we were down 8-3. So by yesterday I was sort of over it. Still a little bummed though! WHAT HAPPENED??! :sad: I have so many questions. Maybe I’m not as over it as I thought......

Dopey #5 - that’s your carrot! Think of how fun that weekend will be, and even more fun if you’ve busted your @$$ to get ready for it. Eyes on the prize!

I had also reverted to de facto Cleveland sports fan defensive strategy, but I was willing to hang in until the Yankees took the lead. Was disappointing it happened so fast. Oh well, time to watch the over-the-hill, terrible fitting pieces the Cavs have assembled and get my hopes up just because LeBron can still drag any roster of has beens and never weres to about 30 more wins than they reasonably deserve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!