Banned balloons?

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
I was just reading the prohibited items list on my lunch break because, why not, I'm a planner, and I saw the following item in the items that are prohibited on board:
  • Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats, pool noodles, inflatable pools and wagons.
I had included a couple un-inflated character themed balloons in fish extender goodie bags for kids that I'd made for the cruise, but I guess I have to redo those now? Or is it only helium balloons that are a problem (which I understand) I just can't fathom why an un-inflated balloon would be a no no but maybe I am missing something.

I witnessed a family once try to bring an inflated balloon from Disney. Security stopped them before they entered the port and they were asked to either deflate the balloon or throw it away.

The parents attempted to deflate the balloon but ended up ruining it so they just threw it away before proceeding on.

Although you would be giving them out as deflated, many kids would blow them up (not knowing any better). Some kid would take them outside onto a veranda and then they'd end up in the ocean and could be swallowed by an animal. If they tried to take them into public spaces, a cm would be able to stop them before they got outside with them, but can't stop someone if someone has it in their cabin, so I'm guessing that could be why.

Last edited:
I was just reading the prohibited items list on my lunch break because, why not, I'm a planner, and I saw the following item in the items that are prohibited on board:
  • Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats, pool noodles, inflatable pools and wagons.
I had included a couple un-inflated character themed balloons in fish extender goodie bags for kids that I'd made for the cruise, but I guess I have to redo those now? Or is it only helium balloons that are a problem (which I understand) I just can't fathom why an un-inflated balloon would be a no no but maybe I am missing something.

So sorry your FE gifts you have made will not be allowed. The reason NO balloons are allowed at all is for the safety and well-being of sea life. Sea turtles, dolphins, etc., often think they are jellyfish and will eat them which could ultimately kill them.

AKL at WDW is the same. Absolutely NO balloons are allowed. Sorry....:(

Perhaps if you put them into a ziploc and made a note saying "These are not allowed to be inflated on the ship, so wait until home before opening", then you may be allowed to give them out. Not sure on their specific policy but it seems fair to me.

Perhaps if you put them into a ziploc and made a note saying "These are not allowed to be inflated on the ship, so wait until home before opening", then you may be allowed to give them out. Not sure on their specific policy but it seems fair to me.
Balloons are banned for a specific reason. No "I promise faithfully that I will let others know NOT to inflate these" is going to work.

Will OP be able to actually get them onboard? Probably. Should OP do so? No.

Balloons are banned for a specific reason. No "I promise faithfully that I will let others know NOT to inflate these" is going to work.

Will OP be able to actually get them onboard? Probably. Should OP do so? No.

I absolutely agree with the ban and the reason for it. I just feel bad for the OP for having bought them and not being able to share them. I have no idea about the administration of the ban because the thought of bringing them on board would never cross my own mind.

Thanks all. Never would have thought of a balloon as a synthetic jellyfish before! I guess that means my toddler will have a LOT of balloons to play with at home once I re-do the goody bags.

What a good sport you are, MomOTwins! :cutie:

You know those icky, floppy, thin plastic bags most groceries and discount stores still have? They can wreak the same disastrous consequences as balloons. They look like a jellyfish sometimes and precious sea life eat them. :sad1: Most of Hawaii has done entirely away with plastic bags for this reason. So if anyone is planning on going to lovely Hawaii, either take a few reusable bags or do like me, and buy some really cute ones to use there and then bring home and use. Makes me smile every time I go shopping. :sunny:

Several years ago I brought a few balloons to hang in our room with birthday decorations for my daughter. I've only recently learned that they were banned. Our room attendant never said anything or took them down. They did stay inside our room though - we weren't out and about with them on deck. :-)

Several years ago I brought a few balloons to hang in our room with birthday decorations for my daughter. I've only recently learned that they were banned. Our room attendant never said anything or took them down. They did stay inside our room though - we weren't out and about with them on deck. :-)

Various entities have definitely gotten much stricter on this sort of thing the last few years. :-)

Okay, this is off topic but it's my post so... I replaced all the balloons with chocolate "pirate" coins. But then I panicked that they might all melt if our suitcase is not stored somewhere cool during the DCL transfer process (it is an August cruise). Would you chance it or should I carry on the goody bags?

Okay, this is off topic but it's my post so... I replaced all the balloons with chocolate "pirate" coins. But then I panicked that they might all melt if our suitcase is not stored somewhere cool during the DCL transfer process (it is an August cruise). Would you chance it or should I carry on the goody bags?

I don't think I would put chocolate in checked luggage in August in Florida.

Can you keep the chocolate separately with you and add it once you're on the ship or is that too much work?

Can you keep the chocolate separately with you and add it once you're on the ship or is that too much work?

All the goody bags are individually wrapped (just took me an hour to redo them all to take out the balloons and repackage them). I guess I just don't have a sense of where the bags go during transit. We are doing a DCL transfer from the resort, so if they will just be in an A/C'd bus and the cruise terminal I am not worried. But if they have to sit outside they will melt for sure. Argh, why didn't I just think to get candy instead?

All the goody bags are individually wrapped (just took me an hour to redo them all to take out the balloons and repackage them). I guess I just don't have a sense of where the bags go during transit. We are doing a DCL transfer from the resort, so if they will just be in an A/C'd bus and the cruise terminal I am not worried. But if they have to sit outside they will melt for sure. Argh, why didn't I just think to get candy instead?

They will be in a baggage truck (NOT temperature controlled) until they are put on the ship.

Even at the airport, the checked luggage could sit outside for a period of time before getting loaded onto the plane. And who knows where they are stored, or how they are handled, at MCO when pulled for DCL. I certainly would not trust chocolate or any meltable item in checked bags.

Enjoy your cruise!

You poor thing! How hard you are working on your FE gifts! :flower3:

Even at the airport, the checked luggage could sit outside for a period of time before getting loaded onto the plane. And who knows where they are stored, or how they are handled, at MCO when pulled for DCL. I certainly would not trust chocolate or any meltable item in checked bags.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am sad to have to agree with lanejudy on this, MomOTwins. I live right here in the Orlando area, and luggage can go through all sorts of ...... stuff. And it has been brutally hot early this year. Bleh! :crazy2: I was flying out of MCO once, and while waiting to board a BIG thunderstorm moved through with terrific lightning. So much so, they had all baggage handlers and workers evacuate the tarmac. I watched as luggage carts (the ones the trams pull out to the planes) sat in a torrential downpour and winds and wondered if my big carbon fiber bag was one sitting out there. They had sort of closed the "curtains" on the baggage carts, but the wind and rain was such that when I arrived (finally) at my destination, stuff inside my bag was actually WET! This was a completely hard sided carbon fiber bag where the only non-hard surface was the zipper that was on the suitcase for open/close. But the rain was driven into my suitcase where the lining was wet, as were a lot of the items I had packed.

It would not take too long sitting in our FL heat for chocolate to start melting. I hate to tell you that after all you have done, but I would try to pack the goodies in your carry-on bags to avoid a chocolate disaster. :o

Thanks everyone! And oh well, at least with three kids we have extra carry on allowance so I will just bring an extra duffel bag.

That wet suitcase sounds like a nightmare! Sorry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter