Balloons - Do the parks really need to sell them?

We have had 10 miscarriages and every trip we each write a letter our babies and tie them to a balloon and release it - it’s therapeutic for us; as only someone who has experienced that kind of loss can understand

maybe disneynwill go with a biodegradable balloon option ?

Let's face it, almost nothing about any theme park is environmentally friendly. DL paved over 85 acres of orange groves, and often packs 70,000 people a day into that space. DW paved over 7,100 acres of swampland and displaced all kinds of wildlife. So not selling balloons could certainly be good for the environment, but would be a needle in a haystack when it comes to protecting the environment.
No worries. Disney has solved our environmental problems by eliminating straws, lids & cutting back on plastic bags. As many will tell you, the fact that they had to pay for those & actually make money on the other plastics is totally coincidental. :rolleyes1

We have had 10 miscarriages and every trip we each write a letter our babies and tie them to a balloon and release it - it’s therapeutic for us; as only someone who has experienced that kind of loss can understand

maybe disneynwill go with a biodegradable balloon option ?
I'm sorry you've had to experience so much loss. :hug:

Most small children's eyes light up when they see/can have a balloon.
My eyes light up too when I see the huge bouquets of balloons on Main Street. How many other souvenirs are environmentally friendly that Disney sells? Not many, I would think. (I also want my straw and lid for my cup in the park - just a drop in the bucket environmentally, but big savings for Disney). We've also not purchased them at Disney because they become a huge pain to carry around - except for one time got our youngest one on way out of park.

I love seeing all the balloons on Main Street but I’ve never purchased one because what the heck am I supposed to with it at the park all day?
( Also, because I’m a grown woman)
I could totally ignore the second reason but unfortunately the first one is a deal breaker. :teeth:

Last edited:
Given the number of balloons Disney sells, I could probably retired on what they make just on balloons each year.

I have to say I’ve seen very kids walking with them and very few tied to strollers. I never see people actually buying them, only taking their photo with them. I only recall them in MK .... it’s probable given all the flashing stuff they sell that balloon sales are minimal.

They don't sell them at Animal Kingdom because they know they're not safe for animals.

I don't understand the comments about balloons being a drop in the bucket and why try to do anything environmentally friendly when there are other worse things. In my opinion, incremental improvement is still better than no improvement!

They don't sell them at Animal Kingdom because they know they're not safe for animals.

I don't understand the comments about balloons being a drop in the bucket and why try to do anything environmentally friendly when there are other worse things. In my opinion, incremental improvement is still better than no improvement!

And you have no idea if those people buying the balloons are doing other things that are environmentally friendly in their every day lives.
As far as Disney is concerned, getting rid of balloons in their parks isn't going to make any difference when 99% of the stuff they sell is not really environmentally friendly. Get rid of it all and really make an impact, otherwise it would just be virtue signalling and that really accomplishes nothing.

I'd rather people take responsibility for themselves and dispose of things properly, but It seems that is too much to ask.

I have to say I’ve seen very kids walking with them and very few tied to strollers. I never see people actually buying them, only taking their photo with them. I only recall them in MK .... it’s probable given all the flashing stuff they sell that balloon sales are minimal.

Funny, we will probably stop getting the kids balloons when we no longer have a stroller...who am I kidding, we're not good at "no" on vacation. Thank god the kids don't have the gimmes too bad...except for sweets.

Balloons, plastic bags, straws are not just bad for the environment, but are killing animals. https://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index...nd-wildlife-please-dont-release-your-balloons

I agree, I've never bought one, but when we took my DD for the first time when she was four she was given one at the Pirate & Princess party (remember those?). Anyway, we were flying home a few days later but the balloon was still nice so we gave it to another little girl at our resort. Well, you'd have thought we'd ask DD age 4 to give a kidney! She cried and cried for that balloon, later I thought I should have deflated it and brought it home for her. She's 16 now and I think she's over it lol. I also have taken my share of balloon bouquet photos though!

Yes it is incremental, but like I posted, if you put it in perspective, 7,100 acres paved over at WDW, 52 million visitors a year in a state with a population of 21 million in a county with a population of 1.3 million.....it isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
You're right of course. We should all go out and get a bunch of latex balloons and release them all to the sky, because after all, things are paved, people travel, toothpaste tubes get thrown out, someone will use a single use plastic fork today, and the Pacific has a patch of garbage twice the size of the state of Texas. May as well not make any effort unless we can take care of it all at once. Good plan.

You're right of course. We should all go out and get a bunch of latex balloons and release them all to the sky, because after all, things are paved, people travel, toothpaste tubes get thrown out, someone will use a single use plastic fork today, and the Pacific has a patch of garbage twice the size of the state of Texas. May as well not make any effort unless we can take care of it all at once. Good plan.

As so you don't want to discuss facts, you just want to spout off your opinions and tell us we are wrong because you 'think' so.
And people wonder why problems can't be solved. It's because there are too many people out there plugging their ears when they hear things they don't like. Son't want to discuss problems just want to shout at people from their high horse.
Maybe you could point out where anyone said just go ahead and release all the balloons, or do absolutely nothing about the environment. That's right- you can't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter