Balloons - Do the parks really need to sell them?

ChrisFL

Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
I've been reading about the effects of balloons, even "bio-degradable" ones and how it can still take up to 4 years for them to decompose.

I know this is a big part of going to theme parks for kids, but I just wonder if the environmental impact is going to make them less appealing to consumers.

I KNOW there's MANY other places that have balloons and the parks are only a very tiny part of that, but just wondering your thoughts.

I've been reading about the effects of balloons, even "bio-degradable" ones and how it can still take up to 4 years for them to decompose.

I know this is a big part of going to theme parks for kids, but I just wonder if the environmental impact is going to make them less appealing to consumers.

I KNOW there's MANY other places that have balloons and the parks are only a very tiny part of that, but just wondering your thoughts.
Interesting that you dismiss the environmental impact of actually getting to WDW, but focus on one teeny, tiny, very minor souvenir instead.

My husband has found balloons twice on our farm in the past 5 years that have notes in them from "Mrs. such & such's 3rd grade class in far off state, please tell us if you get this we are curious how far it's gotten". He's responded both times, and the kids were thrilled to hear from him. That being said, our County in MD has just legislation to ban the release of non-biodegradable balloons, and I applaud the idea. We have them landing in our fields and in our trees often enough to notice, and we live in a major wildlife/marine life area.

I've got no problem with them in general, but they do contribute to trashing up the environment in some ways when folks deliberately or accidentally let them go.
A few years ago my MIL thought she needed them for her mothers funeral. For the grandkids to let go. Grandkids were in their mid to late 40's and thought it was the most ridiculous thing - and it for sure contributed to trashing up the woods no doubt.

I do wish they would quit selling them. It's unfortunate but they do create tremendous environmental problems.

If Disney stopped selling unneeded things that aren't biodegradable and sit in landfills for years and years and years then their would be a lot of empty shelf space.
I don't believe in purposing releasing balloons, to me that is really no different than throwing a plastic bag on the ground, but I have no problem with kids having them in the parks, and throwing them away when they are done with them.

Young kids love balloons for some reason. They bring great joy to the littles. We just had a birthday party yesterday and the kids (5 year olds) all went nuts for basic helium balloons. Everything is "unneeded" at Disney. Disney itself is "unneeded" but we go there for the joy of it even if it increases our carbon footprint.

Interesting that you dismiss the environmental impact of actually getting to WDW, but focus on one teeny, tiny, very minor souvenir instead.

Actually I didn't, I just had questions about people's thoughts on this one.

Really?? Now we're talking about children's toys?

We went after plastic draws but said nothing about the plastic cups. Let's see how people do with soft drinks, if they ever are brave enough to demand paper cups. (You can't use styrofoam, because that's even worse!)

One of the reasons why industries switched to plastic is because the ecologists (the Baby Boomer's word for "environmentalists") said that we were cutting down all of the trees. If we don't use plastic and we can't use trees for paper/cardboard, what option do you suggest?

Unless you're talking about the infamous 1986 Balloonfest world record balloon release in Cleveland, why not let the little kiddies keep their balloons? Wouldn't it be better for little Johnny and little Susie if the adults gave up substantial things that are made of plastic?

Last edited:
No, they don't need to sell them but apparently they're a big money maker so despite any environmental concerns Disney is unlikely to ban them.

In 8th grade science class we released balloons with attached clear Glad sandwich bags containing postcards. This was from Pennsylvania north of Philadelphia. In a few weeks I got a reply from someone in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Only dumb if you take the immense amount of pleasure some kids get out of them. I didn't even know you could buy a kid so much happiness for the price of a balloon. They suck for many, many reasons, but it's a great treat for some kids.

Yup, totally agree. As another person put it, a trip to WDW can be argued to have so many other environmental factors...travel, trash created while visiting (boxes for packaging, etc...) but focusing on balloons? My kids LOVED balloons when they were young and thoroughly enjoyed them when we bought them.

Personally, I hope they never stop selling them.

When I was a kid I hated balloons. I was afraid of them. I didn't want them to pop, and I knew that they all eventually did. I honestly to this day don't care for them. I don't think Disney should get rid of them though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter