Baking Question/What Pan Size?

disneyfanatic60

DIS Veteran
My mother was a wonderful baker but she often did not right down her recipes. In retrospect, I wish I would have spent more time writing things down that she did so I would have them to carry on. She's sadly passed away.

She made this amazing yet very simple ice cream/cake dessert. I have tried over and over in my head to recreate what she did and more importantly what size pan she may have used.

I know this much:

She took a baking pan (I always thought it was a jelly roll or cheesecake pan but not sure) and baked a cake mix (she used all sorts of different combinations). The cake would come out about 1-1/2" high I would say. After it cooled, she would slice it the long way making "3" long strips. She would then soften any kind of ice cream (again, think of all the combinations!) and cut in 4 equal strips. She would layer one strip of cake on the bottom, then 2 strips of ice cream across length-wise on top of of that and repeat the process ending with cake on top. Of course, this forms a long and somewhat narrow log. A half gallon slice of ice cream was the perfect fit to each layer so I know that's the approx. width of each strip. She would then freeze the entire thing to harden it up somewhat. Just before serving, she would spread cool whip all over it and sometimes top with things like sprinkles, nuts, fresh fruit, coconut, etc. It was a wonderful summer dessert and very easy to prepare from what I could remember.

Soooooo, the big question--what size pan do you think she was using. I have a jelly roll pan but it doesn't seem to be wide enough to cut in 3-strips. Also, for any of you bakers out there, how long do you think the cake mix would cook approximately for such a thin cake?

I have a friend whose moving out of town and I was hoping to make this for her this week as a going away treat. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm sorry, but I don't know your recipe.

I just made an ice cream dessert this week. I used 9x13 cake pan.
Place 12 store bought ice cream sandwiches in pan.
Spread a layer of thawed Cool Whip,drizzle chocolate fudge(warmed in microwave) and caramel sauce.
Repeat layer of 12 ice cream sandwiches(I used Neopolitan flavor)
Another layer of Cool Whip, drizzle chocolate fudge and caramel sauce

Freeze It was really good and refreshing.

If the ice cream is sitting on the counter the same way it comes out of the box, did she cut the ice cream straight down or slice it horizontally? Whichever way, I'd take the width of the slice and multiply it by three, plus maybe an inch or two, to get the width of the pan you'd need. I had originally thought a jelly roll pan, but if that's not wide enough, it could be a sheet pan like bakeries use for cakes.

Let us know if you figure it out, maybe try looking at bed bath and beyond for a pan close in size. Sounds like a wonderful recipe and so many combinations to choose from. Now what cake sounds good with butter pecan?

A 9x13 pan would get 4 strips about 3" wide and 9" long. That seems like it would be a nice size. But the cake in a 9x13 pan would be higher than 1 1/2 ".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter