Backstage Magic/SoCal Short Escape & SWGE

dolewhipdreams

Counting days until my next Dole Whip
This is a spinoff from another BM/SoCal thread where we were discussing how ABD will handle the opening of SWGE.

Now that we have an official opening date (May 31!), I thought it might be helpful to start a conversation specifically for people who have booked the BM/SoCal short escape trip after opening. My trip is July 14th and I know I would appreciate any feedback from people who go between 5/31 & 7/14!

So let's do a roll call and use this thread to speculate/plan on what ABD might do with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge! Then once May 31 hits, this can be the place to come share your experience on ABD & SWGE.

Thanks for starting this! We are on the 1/05/20 Backstage Magic trip and are very curious how they are going to integrate SWGE into the tour. I can't wait to hear about the experiences from others who take these tours after the opening. Honestly, I would happily sacrifice some of the Hollywood time for more DL time, but realize that logistically that's probably not feasible without actually changing hotels earlier in the trip than the current itinerary calls for.

Unfortunately, due to our son's college schedule, it would be difficult (though not impossible) for us to add on an extra day after the tour. We will probably be heading home on the 10th, so no extra DL time for us.

We are on the 8/11/19 trip and are so excited about SWGE! It was the primary reason we booked this trip. Fingers crossed for something special!

Let's hope we have some Disers going in June so we can get info early on!

As mentioned in the other thread, we are on the 8/18/19 trip. My husband and I have been speculating what ABD might (hopefully) do with SWGE during the trip. If we do get access, I could see it happening early in the morning before park opening.

We are booked for two nights at Paradise Pier before the trip starts, but we are not planning any scheduled park time. @acndis, we might be crossing paths after all!

I am going on the 6/9 to 6/14 trip (the longer trip), so I will be one of the first to experience SW:GE with ABD.

I'll let you know how it goes.

My hope is that they may allow us to get into the park early, and explore the Land before others can go in, and maybe get on the attraction, all before park opens.
Most likely, they will just get us on the ride as quick as they can during the normal day, and have us explore the other parts of the land.

There is also a May 26 to MAy 31st ABD trip, since the last day is really just a breakfast, hopefully they will allow them to see the land before it opens to the public.

My hope is that they may allow us to get into the park early, and explore the Land before others can go in, and maybe get on the attraction, all before park opens.

That would be absolutely amazing! Do you mind reporting back here after your trip?

I will try to remember :)

I was on the same trip 3 years or so ago, and they let us in the park early to have breakfast at Plaza Inn with characters, and take great pictures of the castle before anyone else.
I would hope they would move that to SWGE...

We are going on the 9/15 trip. Very excited as it’s my first time doing a ABD crossing fingers and toes that we get access to see SWGE.

I just contacted Adventures By disney about my June 9 to 14 trip.
They basically said that currently the itinerary is the same as previous, and there is no current plan to change that itinerary to include SWGE, but that it is certainly possible that when we get there, there may be a change of itinerary.

I only asked about my specific trip, so I don't know about future trips, but I imagine the answer would be the same until they update the itinerary.

I am crossing my fingers that some Disney magic will happen when we arrive. After all, we are staying in the Grand Californian Hotel during our stay, so we should get the visit based off just that, you would think.

My guess right now is if they don't alter the normal itinerary, they will give us the option to go there ourselves during downtime based on our GCH reservation.

Steven

I just contacted Adventures By disney about my June 9 to 14 trip.
They basically said that currently the itinerary is the same as previous, and there is no current plan to change that itinerary to include SWGE, but that it is certainly possible that when we get there, there may be a change of itinerary.

I only asked about my specific trip, so I don't know about future trips, but I imagine the answer would be the same until they update the itinerary.

I am crossing my fingers that some Disney magic will happen when we arrive. After all, we are staying in the Grand Californian Hotel during our stay, so we should get the visit based off just that, you would think.

My guess right now is if they don't alter the normal itinerary, they will give us the option to go there ourselves during downtime based on our GCH reservation.

Steven
Thanks for the update!

Steven
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. SWGE will already be open to the public. Of course you would have the option to go there yourselves during downtime, and it would have nothing to do with staying at the GCH. You may or may not have special fastpasses, but you can go where you like during OYO time.

Sayhello

@sayhello Between May 31, 2019 and June 23, 2019, guests staying at one of the three Disneyland hotels will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. I assume this applies to everyone staying at the resort hotels including ABD guests. We have a reservation at the Disneyland Hotel in June for this very reason. We figure this is the cost for early entry to Star Wars land:)

@sayhello Between May 31, 2019 and June 23, 2019, guests staying at one of the three Disneyland hotels will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. I assume this applies to everyone staying at the resort hotels including ABD guests. We have a reservation at the Disneyland Hotel in June for this very reason. We figure this is the cost for early entry to Star Wars land:)
Thanks. I did not know that.

Sayhello

Following along! I’ll be going in November. Hopefully by then they will begin to work it in!

We are going on the 9/15 trip. Very excited as it’s my first time doing a ABD crossing fingers and toes that we get access to see SWGE.
I am going the same week. My last ABD vacation was back in 2007 when they were first starting out and it was the time of my life.

I would not anticipate seeing SWGE added as a special part of the ABD itinerary for some time to come. It is my understanding that they have not been given any special access this year at the least.

I would not anticipate seeing SWGE added as a special part of the ABD itinerary for some time to come. It is my understanding that they have not been given any special access this year at the least.
I think we're all hopeful but realistically understand that it might not happen. Did you hear a CM or Vacationista say something about it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!