backpacks qualifying as luggage

juju

DIS Veteran
I noticed in UAL's website that backpacks are not considered a carryon but luggage. I also verified this with the airline. They allow one carryone suitcase and another carryon such as a purse, laptop or briefcase. My backpack is actually smaller than a briefcase however I know that there are some people who haul really big ones. Has anyone had any experience with this rule?

Both my teen DD and DS used huge Burton Backpacks as their carryons with no problems. As long as they meet the size restriction for a carryon you shouldn't have a problem but you could call your local TA for any up to date rules.

So, you're backpack is actually a purse sized backpack? I saw a lot of women in Orlando last month with the little backpacks.

I've only had experience with NW and AA. Backpacks are considered carryons, not purses on those airlines.

However, I would think you'd be ok if your backpack is small.

herc.

If the backpack fits into the "size wise" (or whatever they call it) sizing frame, it may be carried on. Except you may generally not carry on both a backpack and a suitcase each of which nearly if not completely fills the frame.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 *World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 *Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first premium annual pass
12/98 *Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & PAP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 *Motel 6 & ASSp & PAP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned

*off site

Just like the above poster said, your carry now is considered your ONE allowed piece of carryon luggage, meaning you can NOT carry on a suitcase in addition. A backpack is not a personal item, like a purse, laptop, diaperbag. So if you carryon your backpack that IS you limit. I too use to carry on a underpacked backpack, but now stopped because I had a rolling backpack with my trading pins and with both I now except my ONE carryon limit. Even though I use to put my backpack under the seat in front of me, I wanted to follow the rules/guidelines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter