Backpack Etiquette-first post, hope all goes well?!

Lorna7

Earning My Ears
My first post. I love WALT DISNEY WORLD! Looking forward to going back again, soon!
I just read a great article about how not to be a jerk at WALT DISNEY WORLD. Am I allowed to post the link??
Anyway, here are my thoughts in reference to the article:
Backpack etiquette. Please remember that you are wearing a backpack & be aware of it when turning around, etc. It's like people
forget they have a backpack on & they walk, run, twist and turn, forgetting their backpack is taking out everyone in the vicinity. I've been clobbered by a backpack and it hurts big time.

That's one of my pet peeves - I know it's not intentional but it doesn't make it less painful. I tend to wear mine with 1 strap so I can easily move it around if needed. In lines, I typically take it off and hold it in my hand or wear it in the front so I don't knock others over.

I completely agree! I especially dislike being in a long line behind someone with a giant backpack on, dodging and weaving to avoid the thing over and over again, lol.

As the name suggests, I live on Cape Cod, MA, but I use to work in Boston, which mean commuting on the train every day, and I can't tell you how many times I was hit by people with big backpacks turning around. People tend to forget that when wearing a backpack, you extend out an extra foot or two.

Was at Peco Bill's during MNSSHP this year when someone with a backpack turned and swept my daughter's half-full drink right off our tray and onto the floor. We were on our way to the trash can, so no loss, but then the guy turns around and gives us a "what's wrong with you?" look for throwing our drink down. Dude, YOU threw it. He never realized he'd done it. Cast member came to help us clean up.

Was at Peco Bill's during MNSSHP this year when someone with a backpack turned and swept my daughter's half-full drink right off our tray and onto the floor. We were on our way to the trash can, so no loss, but then the guy turns around and gives us a "what's wrong with you?" look for throwing our drink down. Dude, YOU threw it. He never realized he'd done it. Cast member came to help us clean up.
Did you say the bolded part out loud in order that he would realize it?

I cannot agree more! I just returned from WDW on Saturday. I got clocked in the face by backpacks twice! Once while waiting in line (and no I wasn't crowding the person) and again in the aisle seat on the plane while others were boarding. I, too, realize its not intentional, but please be aware of the extra inches on your back. When boarding a plane, please take off the backpack and carry it in front of you. Same goes for large purses and messenger bags. I like the movie "Rocky", but I don't want to live it while on vacation. :)

I am getting better about this, but I will admit that sometimes I'm a danger to those around me. I do try to take it off on buses and hold it in one hand. In the parks, when I'm en route to a fastpass/ADR....stand clear. I'm like a Sherpa- I have a water bottle attached and my pack is full. Since my kids have gotten older, we do not go back to the room mid-day and so my pack if pretty darn full.

I am getting better about this, but I will admit that sometimes I'm a danger to those around me. I do try to take it off on buses and hold it in one hand. In the parks, when I'm en route to a fastpass/ADR....stand clear. I'm like a Sherpa- I have a water bottle attached and my pack is full. Since my kids have gotten older, we do not go back to the room mid-day and so my pack if pretty darn full.

Actually, it's for 'you' to stand clear and make sure you're not knocking someone else, not the other way round. I, too, have been knocked silly when someone is loaded a foot back and don't observe the safety of others! Be aware, and be considerate please! 🙂

This is also a pet peeve of mine when boarding an airplane. I always take my backpack off and hold it in front of me when I board. I've been the aisle person whacked in the face by a backpack too many times!!

Take it off when you are on the bus, if you are sitting, put it on your lap, not on the seat next to you. If you are standing then take it off and put between your feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!