Backing into Preferred

J.Scott Cape Cod

Home sweet home!
There seems to be quite a few sites/loops that present backing in challenges, especially with long trailers. I’m wondering if people generally have any trouble backing in a motorhome (28 ft) in the Preferred loops?

28 feet is no problem in a Preferred in general.

Sites on the outside of the loop are easier IMO to back into but your mileage may vary.

Some sites are shorter than others (in terms of their paved portion). A brief discussion at checkin can help you avoid those.

Bama Ed

Shouldn't be a problem at all. We have a 31 foot class C and I find it way easier to back into sites than our 23 foot trailer was. Just gotta watch what we call the "butt swing" ;) . Watching some of the big class A's or big 5'ers back in the preferred sites is pretty amazing, though! Those folks have nerves of steel! Oh, we did have a neighbor move his truck from the road in front of our site on 300 last time. We would have made it fine, but he was there and offered, so it made it that much easier. A good spotter is always a good thing, IMHO!

There seems to be quite a few sites/loops that present backing in challenges, especially with long trailers. I’m wondering if people generally have any trouble backing in a motorhome (28 ft) in the Preferred loops?

We have a 34' mh and have never had issues backing in any of the preferred sites, and have been in quite a few different ones over the years. The exception being once or twice when people with rigs - trailer + tow - being too long for their site, and they park partially in the road.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a problem. The loops are generally wide enough and most sites are angled aprons. However, when we went for the first time in 2012, the people across from us were home and never offered to move their vehicles from the road area to give me some clearance. I had 2 spotters for that one. The last time we were down at the Fort in the 700 loop, it was practically a "no room for error, you have to be be kidding me both culvert, fence and recycling boxes, trash cans collection point plus walking trail head" 90 degree turn to get in. I did that by myself no wife or neighbor spotter. The one neighbor just got back from some place and watched my skills in action. It was worst spot I ever had getting into wise for the Fort. It was equally a pain to get out. I have gotten trailers into and out of some tight spots for work but a 30 footer is just worse. Crazy part is the rest of the loop would have been a breeze for getting in and out.

We didn’t have any problems with our 28 ft. We had just come from a state park prior and the sites at the fort were far more narrow, but we got it in first try. I like the preferred as there is a sandy section.

Sirenia88, few yrs. back we were had 728. Very narrow, a car was in the way, + we had a few men telling us how to back in. Had to get Disney to trim back some of the trees, hitting the top of our RV. All in all DH made it in OK.

We have a 32ft trailer , so with the truck we're 58ft. Any sites we might want to avoid in preferred? Hubby is an awesome driver, but I'm sure he'll be a little frayed after driving down 95 from PA

We have a 32ft trailer , so with the truck we're 58ft. Any sites we might want to avoid in preferred? Hubby is an awesome driver, but I'm sure he'll be a little frayed after driving down 95 from PA

Well you should be ok getting in to most sites. The only problem we had in the preferred was non movable stuff, underground electrical boxes. There was one across the street and had to make sure not to clip it with the front of the truck. Now with a 43 ft trailer, no preferred for us.
Driving from PA, I avoid most of 95, at least until SC and then trip is a lot more bearable.

We are an hour drive from 95, so that's hubby's to go route for the most part. Luckily we'll have to bypass the bridge in Baltimore with the camper on the back ,(o hate that tunnel)

have 35 trailer & f350 lb, have no major issues. If you find it tight & uncomfortable with cars close by, you can always ask them to move..

We are an hour drive from 95, so that's hubby's to go route for the most part. Luckily we'll have to bypass the bridge in Baltimore with the camper on the back ,(o hate that tunnel)

Coming out of the Harrisburg area, 81 is right there, so we use it going down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!