Back to the West 2014

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
Hey everyone! Now that spring is upon us, is anyone ready to head back to December? :)
I promise we'll keep it nice and warm this year. No cold weather gear needed! :cool1:

I'm Janet. My Disney buddy is Katie. It has been fun to see her love of Disney grow through the years. She still enjoys the parks, the characters, the shows...... all things Disney. We started the trip by ourselves, but this year my husband Drew got away to meet us for part of the trip. He still has a soft spot for Disney and was looking forward to reacquainting himself with the mouse again.

So who's ready for holiday time at Disneyland? :santa:

Photo0581FourBySix by mom2rtk, on Flickr

December 6, 2014: Departure Day

There really are too many choices figuring out how to get to Disneyland. Which airport, direct or indirect flights, how to get to the hotel once we arrive. Katie really wanted to fly into LAX, and since that offered us the option of a direct flight, I decided to give it a try. I was a little concerned about how big the airport is and how hard it would be to find our shuttle.

With a direct flight, at least we didn't have to leave at the crack of dawn. Our flight was at 10:40 so I think we left home around 8.

IMG_0823 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Vacation officially started when we got our bags checked and headed to Burger King for breakfast and Katie's first stop at Starbucks for the trip.

IMG_0829 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Better let the friends know you're having Starbucks...... It's a pretty big deal when you're 14.

IMG_0832 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Now that we're settled in at the airport, it's time for both of us to play a bit with our cameras.

Selfie Fun by mom2rtk, on Flickr

The flight itself was uneventful. We were in the B boarding group and had no trouble finding an empty row. I knew Katie would not want to sit by a stranger, so I would be stuck in the middle seat. I've had some odd seat neighbors through the years, so thankfully this one wasn't one of the worst. He did keep trying to steal my foot space and arm rest, but I think that's par for the course these days. The flight was 3 hours 40 minutes long. I loved getting to LA in the quickest way possible, but in some ways prefer changing planes so I can get up and stretch my legs to break things up. I really wanted to sleep on the flight but wasn't surprised that I couldn't. Katie and I did watch "The Aristocats" on her Ipad and I really enjoyed that. Our Disney love really started with that movie, and I love that she still likes watching it.

IMG_0857 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0846 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to retrieve our bags and catch our Shuttle at LAX. It was actually easier than when we flew into SNA last year. The Super Shuttle pick up spot was just outside the doors near the luggage carousel.

IMG_0863 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0865 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We were scheduled to land at 12:20 local time and were mostly on time. By then my stomach thought it was 2:20 and more than ready to eat. But Katie had her heart set on Earl of Sandwich. And all food options at the airport looked really busy with nowhere to sit. So I grabbed a cookie from LaBrea Bakery (which stunk, so ended up in the trash) and we moved on.

The entire process was much less hassle than I expected, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw our first stop was Paradise Pier Hotel. So far so good. We walked in and I got in line to check in. Then I reached in my pocket for my phone. And it wasn't there. After furiously checking my bag, I had to step out of line, convinced I had just left my phone on the shuttle. After asking Guest Services to call Super Shuttle, I dug around some more and found that I had stuffed my phone in a compartment of my bag I never put it in. OK, false alarm. Back in line, where I was happy to find out they could keep us in the same room for both parts of our reservation. She even checked us in for the second half so we wouldn't have to worry about it later. I swapped our vouchers for park tickets and we were on our way to room 1237, our home away from home for the next 8 nights.

IMG_0870 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I was more than ready to eat, so we dropped our things and headed for Earl of Sandwich. We had reservations for a nice dinner, but I was starving. So I ditched the "share a sandwich" plan and we each got our own. Katie of course went for the Italian and I got the Holiday sandwich. Both were as good as we remembered and we headed back to our room to rest for a while before heading to the park.

This is one very happy camper:

IMG_0872 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0875 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Our reservation at Carthay Circle was at 5:30. We entered the park at 4:45 then immediately exited and headed for the Ticket Booth. We needed to use our Park Hopper tickets before upgrading to annual passes to get the most value out of them. It was a busy night at the parks because of Candlelight Processional going on at DL. But we got through the Guest Services line fairly quickly. They computed the price of the upgrade and all looked well. Then I paid part of the balance with an Amex rebate card I got when I bought my new camera. Then I asked if I could also use the rebate card I got with my lens. Sure, they said that was fine. That's when we hit the problem. For some reason it added the rebate amount on the card to the total instead of taking it off. Our poor CM at the window tried everything to fix it. After spending close to half an hour at the window I started worrying about making our ADR time at Carthay Circle. I mentioned it to the CM working on the transaction. She said she'd make sure we were ok. And that's just what she did. She consulted with a variety of people trying to straighten it out, but could not come up with a quick fix. Eventually, she called to let the restaurant know what was up, then gave us $60 in dining vouchers and had someone from guest services walk us through the gates and back to the restaurant. We sat down to eat around 5:45, so not too bad considering all delays.

It was a fixed price menu because it was a World of Color package. Katie ordered the steak and I went with the pork chop. While neither of us was crazy about our salads, the entrees more than made up for it. Seriously, it was the best steak and pork chop we have ever had (yes, I did get to sample the steak!). I was disappointed in the dessert options since they had replaced the chocolate creme brule with a peppermint creme brule and had no substitution available. But did I mention how great the steak and pork chop were? Although we did not yet posses our AP's, our server offered us not only the 10% discount we were due, but bumped it up to 15% for our trouble. She also showed us around the restaurant before we left and let me take my time taking some photos. It was a great experience.

IMG_0884 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0897 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0899 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0908 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Carthay Circle Wishing Well Room by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0928 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

When dinner was over, we headed back out of the park to guest services. I asked the CM at the front of the line if we had to wait again, and she asked if we were the ones they closed the window for. Huh? I had no idea, but when we left they had just suspended the transaction and closed the window until we were done with dinner. When we got there, she had it all worked out and we were soon on our way. She even gave let us choose 2 attractions for fastpasses that night and 2 the next day at Disneyland. Color me impressed, although I did feel bad for everyone standing in line with one less ticket window open.

Once we got back in the park, I decided to try and pick up our Photopass Plus before getting in line for WOC. The line was short, but moved very very slowly. We had the same experience at the photoshop in Disneyland last year. It really doesn't take much to slow down a line there with people looking over all their trip photos on the monitors. We got to the WOC around 90 minutes early, and I was surprised at how long the line was.

I believe this Christmas tree was in the photo center:
IMG_0930 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Last edited:

Yay!!! Great start to your report, Janet!!! Wow, you really went through a lot with that ticket transaction but it sounds like they took care of you! Are you going back again this year since you have APs?

Don't you love the portraits at Carthay?

Looking forward to your report!

Yay!!! Great start to your report, Janet!!! Wow, you really went through a lot with that ticket transaction but it sounds like they took care of you! Are you going back again this year since you have APs?

Don't you love the portraits at Carthay?

Looking forward to your report!

Thanks Karen! That really was one crazy ticket transaction. But I walked away hoping they would mess up again sometime. THAT was the service that sets Disney apart, the service that seems to be lacking so often these days.

And yes, we are committed to doing DLR again this fall. Not sure when, except that it will be earlier so we can use our APs. And I don't want to do December again and hit too close to finals since Katie will be in high school. Not sure if it will be a long weekend, or if Katie will feel confident enough to take a little longer. I'm leaving it up to her once school gets under way. DLR really seems to be a better fit for us right now since we need to wait until the last minute to make our plans.

And I thought everything at CC was stunning. But yes, the portraits were a wonderful touch too.

Love the report so far, and I'm ready to cancel my WDW trip and go to DLR instead. So because of the problems with the AP conversion, they gave you $60 in food vouchers and additional FP's?

Fantastic start! You're really rocking the new camera.

What a great start Disney provided you.....all over a mix-up in transaction processing! How awesome to have closed a window....and be provided with dining vouchers and fastpasses! Well....awesome for you but not so awesome for anyone else. But as I don't know the 'anyone else'.....everything is awesome. ;)

Love the report so far, and I'm ready to cancel my WDW trip and go to DLR instead. So because of the problems with the AP conversion, they gave you $60 in food vouchers and additional FP's?

Thanks! Rather than cancel, I think you need to schedule an additional trip to DLR! I need your unbiased assessment of conditions on the ground at WDW these days. :p

And yes, I got a 15% discount on the meal plus $60 in dining vouchers. Even though we were in the midst of a mess with the AP conversion, I felt so well taken care of. As I said, I hope they mess up again next time! :rotfl2: I just think WDW has their hands quite full with glitches and issues with FP+ that there's no way they can handhold anyone like they did for us that night at DLR.

Later that evening as we were sitting and waiting for WOC to start, I caught up on the DIS. I read a thread from a poster detailing how they had encountered one problem after another and had not been well handled, in fact had not been offered even a single fastpass for their trouble. It was wild to compare our experience with that.

Fantastic start! You're really rocking the new camera.

What a great start Disney provided you.....all over a mix-up in transaction processing! How awesome to have closed a window....and be provided with dining vouchers and fastpasses! Well....awesome for you but not so awesome for anyone else. But as I don't know the 'anyone else'.....everything is awesome. ;)

Thanks PiO! I felt really bad that they had to close that ticket window. I had no idea they were going to do that.

And I really loved having the new camera for this trip. It opened up new ways to photograph the parks.

Awesome start. Now I know I know this but can't remember off the top of my head, but you took the super shuttle right? Was it a good experience then? IF we go I am still debating it over the DL express, but I had a good encounter with super shuttle last year on my way back. I have heard some mixed reviews lately on it but most of the bad ones are not from LAX.

Awesome start. Now I know I know this but can't remember off the top of my head, but you took the super shuttle right? Was it a good experience then? IF we go I am still debating it over the DL express, but I had a good encounter with super shuttle last year on my way back. I have heard some mixed reviews lately on it but most of the bad ones are not from LAX.

We took the Super Shuttle and had no issues at all. We also took it from SNA last year and had no trouble at all. Oddly enough, it was a lot more convenient from LAX just because of where it was located. At SNA it seemed like we walked forever to get to ground transportation. At LAX it was right outside the baggage claim area.

It seems like I just got an email from Super Shuttle last week promoting them adding online check-in now. I thought that sounded like a good thing. Not that it was really that hard to check in though. We just got in line and someone showed up with a clipboard (or maybe a tablet?).

I am so glad you've started!

It's always a relief when travelling goes smoothly. I love the sweatshirt you are wearing.

Wow, guest services really provided some excellent and helpful service to you! Dining vouchers and ride passes, along with making sure you got to your reservation ok- awesome!

I am so glad you've started!

It's always a relief when travelling goes smoothly. I love the sweatshirt you are wearing.

Wow, guest services really provided some excellent and helpful service to you! Dining vouchers and ride passes, along with making sure you got to your reservation ok- awesome!

:wave: Glad you found us!

I really couldn't have asked for a smoother travel day.

And the sweatshirt was from the Disney Store. I almost passed on it, figuring everyone else would have one, but I'm not sure I saw another one all week. It was a nice addition to my Disney sweatshirt collection! :earsboy:

Yay! I love your trip reports. Joining in!

According to my countdown app, we'll be there in 74 days!

Sounds like a fun trip from the start! Looking forward to reading more! Maybe Katie would like to go during October next year with all the Halloween goodies and MHP? I'm sure she could find a costume!:rotfl2:

Any company/computer/employee can have a glitch; it's how it's handled after the problem occurs that sets companies and their employees apart. That's why Disney usually gets the customer service love.

Yay! I love your trip reports. Joining in!

According to my countdown app, we'll be there in 74 days!

:welcome:

Glad you found us!

So you'll be there for the 60th! I'm so excited to see what's coming. Be sure to pop back in here and give us a sneak peek. :)

Sounds like a fun trip from the start! Looking forward to reading more! Maybe Katie would like to go during October next year with all the Halloween goodies and MHP? I'm sure she could find a costume!:rotfl2:

Any company/computer/employee can have a glitch; it's how it's handled after the problem occurs that sets companies and their employees apart. That's why Disney usually gets the customer service love.

We're actually kicking around a late October trip. And there *might* be a costume under discussion. :) I just can't decide if it will feel like something is missing in December when we don't go. :(

It was so nice to find the Disney customer service amazing as always on the west coast.

Thanks for joining in! :welcome:

A little late and it is nice to see you start on your trip report. Your pictures from your new camera are very nice and clear.

LAX is always busy and I try to avoid going to that airport where I like going to SNA. I do agree with you that walking to the SuperShuttle area can be quite a long walk but at least I like the drive which is more smoother over LAX.

That is great that you were able to get dining vouchers as well as FP's for the problem at the window.

The CCR pictures are very nice and glad that you enjoyed the meal. I will have to eat there again one day.

A little late and it is nice to see you start on your trip report. Your pictures from your new camera are very nice and clear.

LAX is always busy and I try to avoid going to that airport where I like going to SNA. I do agree with you that walking to the SuperShuttle area can be quite a long walk but at least I like the drive which is more smoother over LAX.

That is great that you were able to get dining vouchers as well as FP's for the problem at the window.

The CCR pictures are very nice and glad that you enjoyed the meal. I will have to eat there again one day.

Glad you found us Bret! :welcome:

It is quite a long drive from LAX. Fortunately we flew home through SNA. That long drive would have been more depressing at the end of the trip. :)

CCR was really amazing. It's not something we can afford to do every trip (well, unless they mess up and give us dining vouchers again!) but it was nice to finally try it once. I'm pretty sure I'll have that pork chop again one day. :teeth:

Saturday December 6th: Continued

I had been told on the DIS not to actually line up in the CC line, as the viewing there was actually not as good as the viewing in the other restaurant area. So we waited there until right around 9 when they opened the viewing areas. The first CM checking fastpasses then told me I was in the wrong line and I needed to go to the back of the CC line. We had been there for 45 minutes at that point and after all the problems so far that night, I was in no mood for nonsense. So I just told her I wasn't going. Thankfully she let it go and we got a great spot right at the rail in the center. We enjoyed the show, although I didn't enjoy the part where someone on the level right below stood their child up on top of a trashcan putting a head right in the middle of a bunch of my shots. (None of the heads pictured here are the offending head. I didn't bother editing those shots). I'd still like to see the regular (non holiday version) WOC still one day though.

IMG_0942 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0948 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1090 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1099 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1112 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1120 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1135 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

World of Color - Winter Dreams by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1237 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1271 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1322 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Christmas Wheel by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I was pretty tired when it was done, but we had fastpasses for Tower of Terror and Soarin to still use. If you had told me we would close the park down that night after traveling half way across the country that day, I would have never believed it. But we didn't exit Soarin until about 11:10, just after the park closed.

IMG_1559 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_1564 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Soarin was so slow a bit before park closing at 11 they didn't even want our fastpass. Here's a sight you won't see very often...... an empty queue for Soarin.

Empty Soarin Line by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Your spot during WoC Winter Dreams was nice. I was impressed with your pictures during the trip and now seeing more of them, I am now amazed by the clarity of the shots. Since you ate at the CCR, I thought you would go in the CCR line and get the prime spot in the viewing area.

If Disney is going to be playing WoC - Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney for the whole year when it debuts in May, you will be able to see it during your next trip. I enjoy watching the original and looking forward to seeing the new version.

Very nice shots that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter