Back Pain - any ideas?

JandJ

<font color=darkorchid>If I close my mind in fear
I hurt my back 14 years ago and then fell down stairs about 8 years ago and hurt it again, but it had been fine since. Until a week ago last Friday.

This pain is absolutely excrutiating! I am not sure how I did it either? I know people have much worse, my own father has cancer in his back and I know he's in 10X this much pain every moment and I feel guilty complaining about it. It's just so frustrating! It's my lower spine and it's shooting down my leg. Has anyone else on here gone through this? What did you do? I don't want to go to a chiropractor - my eye doctor just told me a story about a woman he's treating who lost eye sight in one eye from a bad chiropractic adjustment - enough to scare me. I don't like to take painkillers, but at times it is just so painful! It's rough to get stuck in a chair and not able to get up or can't get out of the car. I hate how everything now falls on my wonderful DH too - cleaning, cooking, laundry, outside stuff, etc. because I can't do anything right now. Thank goodness we don't have kids (yet!) - he's great but I feel guilty. I can't even go to work. Frustrating - that's the word - not only the physical pain but the emotional pain of feeling like I can't do anything I normally do :sad1:

Any ideas :confused: How long will this last??

my dr told me once you hurt your back even picking up a towel can mess it up again...if you can lift your legs ie to put them in bed with out nearly passing out due to pain it probably is not a disk. then you should really take anti inflammatory to help stop the inflammation...i think the muscles swell or something to help protect the nerve and hurt more( sorry can't remember right now but know the anti inflammatories are important, they can be over the counter.) i have seen some articles that say rest doesn't really help but that is what my dr told me to do so you don't keep aggravating it. and if you have repeated problems once it gets better you are supposed to do back strengthening exercises. usually i can feel when it gets tight then i try not to bend or anything and sometimes it does help keep it from getting as bad as it can be. if you are having problems like incontinence or anything with the pain you need to go see a dr right away.
i know some people swear by chiropractors but it does seem like they are constantly at the chiropractors so how much help is it doing? and some things ie scoliosis you are not supposed to go to them with,
usually if i rest it as much as possible, take the anti infla, it's probably a week or so. last time it was a disk and that was longer and worse( i have a high pain threshold and it really made me scream everytime i moved..it was 10x worse than when it just gets spasmy)
i hope it gets better soon

Have you had any form of x-rays, MRI, ct scan? Due to your injuries and symptoms (pain) that's the place you need to start. Without knowing the extent of your injuries, treatment could be futile and even dangerous. Get yourself an appointment with an Orthopedic or Neurologist and get the proper tests done.

It can be as simple as some Physical Therapy and anti-inflammatories as well as exercise. There are many non invasive back therapies available and many are quite helpful to some individuals.

Based on your symptoms and pain down the leg, you really need to not ignore this. Your quality of life has suffered. You should want to get that back. Let us know how you make out and please ask any questions you may have. I hope you can get some relief very soon, dealing with back pain is debilitating.

First off, it would probably be prudent to visit your doctor and let him exam you. They will put you through a range of motions that will help them to decide if you are just "flared up" or if it is actually a disk problem. If they think it is a disk, they will send you for an MRI.

In the meantime, LOTS of ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) or naproxon (Aleve) does wonders but you must keep up the dosing for it to stay effective.

When you first feel the pain, icing the back on and off is the best thing and then, 24 hours, switch over to heat. For me personally, I find that heat really helps me. I will slap a Thermacare band around my back and I can get *some* relief.

For me, when I get a flare up, I usually get 3-4 days of pain that is so bad I feel ill, and then it starts to resolve. It is like that everytime. I don't have a disk problem or anything either.

You should definitely get it checked out! Until you do, I would try alternating ice and heat for 20 minutes each. You may need some PT to get you going again.

Hope you feel better!:hug:

Well, I saw my family doctor yesterday and he sent me immediately for X-rays and an MRI. He got the results today and I have a herniated disk in my lowest lumbar and a bulging disk above that. Still not sure how this happened? He said surgery is pretty much a last resort and most surgeons won't touch a patient who hasn't tried other things first. So, he referred me for Physical Therapy but they can't see me for a whole week! :sad2: I explained how much pain I'm in and that I had the MRI and what it showed but they said they didn't have any openings. Yesterday my doctor put me on some very strong pain meds and they did take the edge off, but also make me dizzy and nauseous so today we're trying another pain med that hopefully won't make me feel sick. I tried the Thermacare (I LOVE Thermacare for cramps) but it didn't do anything. Laying flat on my back helps some. This is just SO frustrating!

Thank you for all of your advice and support. I really do appreciate it :)

Everyone is different, if heat doesn't work try ice. One will feel better and get better results depending on 'you'. I'm glad your doctor did the right thing, and didn't procrastinate. Have your tried any anti-inflammatories? If your pain meds are tylenol based you can combine the two. Best to ask your doctor. The added benefit of an anti-inflammatory in conjunction with pain meds like hydrocodone (vicodin) or something similar helps. If you have spasms a muscle relaxer can also be taken if your doctor approves. Physical therapy benefits can be extremely helpful.

As far as the pain meds making you dizzy and nauseous, that's a common complaint with narcotics and the symptoms do ease with usage. Eat something prior to taking it that should help some. Toradol seems to result in less complaints of adverse symptoms for back pain. Some dont find it strong enough and some do.

Once you start PT do everything they say and your recovery should be expedited. Since its your lower lumbar when laying flat use a pillow behind your legs at the knees to reduce strain. There are lots of great exercises to strengthen your surrounding muscles that will in turn help your back greatly. PT will share those with you.

I hope you start feeling better very very soon! Keep us posted. :)

Glad to hear your doctor was so proactive on this! I'm impressed!

PT places are like that--hard to get in but once you get on their schedule--then you're IN.

I hope you get some relief soon.

I do hope that as each day goes by you are feeling somewhat painfree....please keep us in the loop on how you are doing.. :)

I've had back trouble too and did physical therapy this summer. I've been doing my exercises faithfully ever since and I haven't had any more trouble. When mine acted up before, Advil and Aleve didn't really help but ThermaCare did.

One thing I've heard before is that it's not what you are doing when your back goes out - it's what you've been doing to it for the months before.

One thing I've heard before is that it's not what you are doing when your back goes out - it's what you've been doing to it for the months before.

Hi all, I wanted to keep you updated and what Coll0610 said is exactly what my physical therapist said. I had my second appointment this past Friday and from working with him and talking about my history, I messed my back up like 20 years ago! He doesn't think it's even the herniated disk that's giving me problems, it's the fact that my pelvic bone and my hip bone aren't fitting properly. My hip rolls out of place when I bend forward or at an angle, so the way I was sitting at my old office (totally crooked) set it off big-time - and I was sitting that way for 2 weeks! Of course he explained it in medical terms that I can't possibly remember, but suffice to say, he's been working on me, and I've been diligently doing my exercises, and I feel SO much better!

On the "pain scale" the first time I saw him I was at an "8" and couldn't even stand straight or sit up-right for more than 5 minutes. After my first visit it was like a miracle :cool1: I was nervous but he really helped me. After my second visit now I'd say my constant pain is at like a "3" with flare ups to a "6" but I am able to go to work, cook, sit on the couch - all without much pain. My physical therapist said it will take a good 6 to 8 weeks of visits to get me back to normal (whatever that means :rotfl: ) but I really feel good about it. I'll do my exercises for the rest of my life if it will help!

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement, that really means a lot :grouphug:

I hope everyone else is having a good Sunday!!

Jen.. just read your update and so glad that you are moving forward with the goal of being painfree. Sounds like your PT person knows what they are doing since the pain level is dropping for you. I am so glad to hear it... Keep doing what they tell you and keep going to PT and I am sure it will continue to improve for you..

Happy Sunday to you....have a great week and keep doing those exercises...:)

Hi Jen!

I just saw this and want to send :hug: for you 'cause I too have been there, done that!

I finally did have surgery for a ruptured disc two years ago. It was NOT a fusion (which I would NEVER let a doc do)...for me they removed the offending disc material and scraped away some of the bone to allow more room for the nerve to move. The almost instantaneous difference for me was AMAZING!!

Two years later and I have had essentially no recurrances:yay:

But I know that's not for everyone...and I did have to go through so much before getting to that point (almost 7 years of different treatments). The deciding factor (for me, and I think for most docs) on WHEN to have surgery is if your feet are going numb. Within hours of my last episode starting, I couldn't feel my right leg from the knee down.:eek:

As for medication, I tried lots of different things. The one that really worked for me was Ultram. At first it made me dizzy, but once I got used to it that effect went away. One of the best side effects of that particular med (for me) was feelings of euphoria! I was one happy camper on that stuff!:rotfl:

It can take time to heal your back...but it sounds like you are well on your way!! Walking is incredibly good for your back too!

Good luck on the continued improvement!!

Hi Jen!

I just saw this and want to send :hug: for you 'cause I too have been there, done that!

As for medication, I tried lots of different things. The one that really worked for me was Ultram. At first it made me dizzy, but once I got used to it that effect went away. One of the best side effects of that particular med (for me) was feelings of euphoria! I was one happy camper on that stuff!:rotfl:

It can take time to heal your back...but it sounds like you are well on your way!! Walking is incredibly good for your back too!

Good luck on the continued improvement!!

Hi Hiwaygal!! Thanks for the :hug: My dr. put me on Ultram and I like it so much better than Percoset. The Percoset made me really nauseous (?spell?) but if I'm in a lot of pain at the end of the day I'll take it. The Ultram is good though, but I am trying not to take it daily. I don't like to take stuff. I'll see my family doctor today and hopefully he'll just have me continue PT and in another couple months I'll be feeling lots better. I'm glad you finally found relief. I was talking to a neighbor yesterday who finally had the surgery too, but she's much older (in her 70's) and she said the recovery was very rough. But she said it was worth it because now she's pain free. Hopefully (God willing) it will not come to that for me.

Hi Hiwaygal!! Thanks for the :hug: My dr. put me on Ultram and I like it so much better than Percoset. The Percoset made me really nauseous (?spell?) but if I'm in a lot of pain at the end of the day I'll take it. The Ultram is good though, but I am trying not to take it daily. I don't like to take stuff. I'll see my family doctor today and hopefully he'll just have me continue PT and in another couple months I'll be feeling lots better. I'm glad you finally found relief. I was talking to a neighbor yesterday who finally had the surgery too, but she's much older (in her 70's) and she said the recovery was very rough. But she said it was worth it because now she's pain free. Hopefully (God willing) it will not come to that for me.

I liked the percocet:hippie: ...but I agree, it does make you loopy!

I found that the Ultram worked a long time for me. If I took one a day, that was all I needed. If I took more (the script was for one every 4-6 hours) I would get kinda woozy.

I was very fortunate with my surgery. I had it on Feb.1 2005 and started a new job on Feb 14, 2005. But, I have a desk job so it allows me freedom to get up and move if I need to, or sit and rest if I need to. I didn't even stay overnight for the surgery! I'm sure it's harder, and maybe a little more risky for an older person.

I really hope the PT works for you...it sounds like it is! And I hope you never have serious problems with it again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter