Back on 9/3 Dining Reviews

momof4va

Earning My Ears
We had a wonderful experience on our week long dining adventure. Here is our take on the experience:

Monday Aug 28th - Garden Grill - Dinner - I was very disapointed this time. My DH and I ate here in Feb and loved it. The wait was about 15 minutes to be seated after checking in. The vegetables were awsome and the meats delectable. This time the veggies were over cooked and greasy and the meats were over cooked. The dessert was not as good either and they did not bring the kids the special cupcakes. Our server was really trying to push us out of the restaurant as well. They had apparently overbooked for the night and were trying to fit everyone in.
Very disapointing, I do not think we will be back. 1/2 a mickey ear out of four.

Tuesday Aug 29th - Crystal Palace - Breakfast - Checked in and seated in 10 minutes. This was wonderful as usual. The waitress was awesome. The french toast triangles, fresh strawberries and the omlets made to order. It is well worth it! We were stuffed for days. Four out of four Mickey Ears.

Wednesday Aug 30th - Ragland Road - Dinner - This was the best meal all week. Checked in and were seated within 5 minutes. The appetizers were awesome - the ribs were tender, the drunk chicken was delicious with the lime sauce and the salmon mouth watering. If you like mussels, these are the best I have ever eaten. The loin of bacon is awesome as well. Best fish and chips since eating them in London. The desserts are terrific as well, the whiskey cake and the pot of cream to die for. This restaurant is not to be missed. Four out of four Mickey Ears!!!

Thursday Aug 31st - Coral Reef Restaurant - Lunch
I was surprised at this meal, especially since many people on the forum trashed the restaurant. We got the Lobster Soup which could have been warmer, but was good. The Chicken was good and the Mahi Mahi was awesome except that I did not realize that the CousCous was Pearl not regular, I could have done without because it was gross. The desserts however did not disapoint. The butterscotch creme brulee was awesome, better and larger than the maple creme brulee at Le Cellier. The Chocolate wave and Orange Creme desert were so good we wanted to order more to go. I give this 2 1/2 out of 4 mickey ears.

Friday Sept. 1, Donalds Breakfastasauras (We paid for this Meal) The food was good breakfast stuff. The waitstaff seemed to be in a hurry to get us in and out. Over all a 3 out of 4 mickey ears.

Le Cellier - Dinner - Ok for all of those of you who have been saying that the portions here were smaller, I think you must have been dilusional. The meals were awesome. All of our steaks were cooked perfectly and huge. The strip steaks had to have been 2 - 3 inches thick and 10 inches long, not to mention perfectly cooked. The filets were tender, thick and juicy!! Ther desserts were as good if not better than before. Definately get the Chocolate Whiskey cake. The creme brulee portions are too small. I give this 3 out of 4 mickey ears.

Last but not least:

Saturday Aug 2 - 1900 Park Fare - Dinner - I am not a big fan of buffets, but this restaurant changed my mind. This was not a buffet, this was a culinary experience. The meats were tender and flavorful. The extensive selection of sides a welcome sight. The salmon was a little fishy tasting, but the prime rib and pasta were tasty. I was also very leary about Strawberry Soup, that is until I tried it. I could have just had bowls of this for dinner. It was a creamy, delightful burst of strawberries. The desserts were awesome as well. I give this a four out of four mickey ears.

We were able to use our snack credits anywhere we wanted as long as the total of each item did not exceed $4. So we usually got a breakfast item of some sort or water. We got pastries at both MGM and Norway at Epcot for breakfast! We were also able to use some for candy in the store on Main street.

Our counter service meals were:
MGM ABC Commisary - try the curry, it was surprisingly good. Also the fish and chips here are ok.

MK Cosmic Rays - The food was awful. We actually got sick after eating here.

Pepper Market CSR - We got tacos, a chicken sandwich and pepper shrimp which were great.

POR Market - We ate breakfast and dinner here and were happy with the results. The food was fresh and delicious.

MK Pecos Bills - We love this place. They have the best fixin's bar ever!!!

Over all we had a good experience with the food and the staff. The portions were perfect.

Thanks for the post.

I am looking forward to our ressie at 1900 park fare, this will be a first for us and you've made me very hopeful.

All in all, it sounds like your choices turned out for you.

Thanks for your reviews! We ate at Garden Grill too this past Sunday. I thought the service was rushed a bit too- although thankfully our food was pretty good. I just wanted to add that we ended up sitting in the upstairs portion of the restaurant which has regular tables. After I realized this and I didn't think it looked as nice or cozy I asked for a booth (of which I saw quite a few empty) and got the "well, then you'll have to wait a little longer" spiel- my DH was starving by that time so we just sat where they put us. But if you are reading this thread and are going to eat there- I would ask for the booth section- to me it did seem a lot nicer and more fun.

momof4va said:
The Chicken was good and the Mahi Mahi was awesome except that I did not realize that the CousCous was Pearl not regular, I could have done without because it was gross.

What does this mean?? I was planning on ordering this when I go in a few weeks but I'm not sure what made this gross?? Please explain, I'm naive! :blush:

shyjade said:
What does this mean?? I was planning on ordering this when I go in a few weeks but I'm not sure what made this gross?? Please explain, I'm naive! :blush:

The Mahi Mahi comes served over a bed of CousCous. They are pearl couscous which are really large, about the size of a pea. The couscous was also floating in a ton of sauce which I really did not like. I am used to the regular couscous which is very fine almost the consitancy of thick grits. I usually eat almost anything, but for me it was like eating really bad peas.

You can subsitute what you get as a side item. If I were you I would.

monymony3471 said:
Thanks for the post.

I am looking forward to our ressie at 1900 park fare, this will be a first for us and you've made me very hopeful.

All in all, it sounds like your choices turned out for you.

You will really love it. The food is great and the Characters some to the tables more than once. It is a great experience.

Monday Aug 28th - Garden Grill - Dinner - I was very disapointed this time. My DH and I ate here in Feb and loved it. The wait was about 15 minutes to be seated after checking in. The vegetables were awsome and the meats delectable. This time the veggies were over cooked and greasy and the meats were over cooked. The dessert was not as good either and they did not bring the kids the special cupcakes. Our server was really trying to push us out of the restaurant as well. They had apparently overbooked for the night and were trying to fit everyone in.
Very disapointing, I do not think we will be back. 1/2 a mickey ear out of four.

We were there tues 8/29 and not overly thrilled. We hadn't been in 5 yrs and thought we'd give it a try again as ds picked some of our restaurants and this was his pick. Our veggies were hard as a rock, almost raw. The carrots were especially hard and none of us ate them. I'm not a turkey eater nor fish eater so I ate more of the steak, dh had catfish and turkey, ds had mostly turkey and some steak. The steak was too rare but when asked for 2nds, came out perfect. We enjoyed the dessert but ds is not a berry person so he just had some of the cream puff. Not one to go back to.

Thursday Aug 31st - Coral Reef Restaurant - Lunch
I was surprised at this meal, especially since many people on the forum trashed the restaurant. We got the Lobster Soup which could have been warmer, but was good. The Chicken was good and the Mahi Mahi was awesome except that I did not realize that the CousCous was Pearl not regular, I could have done without because it was gross. The desserts however did not disapoint. The butterscotch creme brulee was awesome, better and larger than the maple creme brulee at Le Cellier. The Chocolate wave and Orange Creme desert were so good we wanted to order more to go. I give this 2 1/2 out of 4 mickey ears

We ate dinner here and thought it was ok. We had eaten lunch at the Coral Reef several years ago and enjoyed it. Dinner was pretty good but not something we'd rush back to. I had the strip steak and not nearly as good as concourse steakhouse or grand floridian cafe. DH enjoyed the lobster soup and his entree (forget what it was). DS had the chicken which was good but he scraped off all the tomatoes and such. The desserts were good, ds & I had the choc wave and dh just a dish of ice cream. I was torn with the choc wave and butterscotch creme brulee.

momof4va said:
The Mahi Mahi comes served over a bed of CousCous. They are pearl couscous which are really large, about the size of a pea. The couscous was also floating in a ton of sauce which I really did not like. I am used to the regular couscous which is very fine almost the consitancy of thick grits. I usually eat almost anything, but for me it was like eating really bad peas.

Thanks for clarifying. I've only had couscous which is fine too, never pearl couscous. Now I know there is more than one kind. Thanks!!

what did you have at Cosmic Rays? We have never eaten here, but were considering it for our trip in a few weeks and now I am a bit concerned! I had heard the rotisserie chicken was supposed to be good??

llqool said:
what did you have at Cosmic Rays? We have never eaten here, but were considering it for our trip in a few weeks and now I am a bit concerned! I had heard the rotisserie chicken was supposed to be good??

DH had the chicken and it was rubbery and I had the Ribs which were dry and burnt, our DD had chicken fingers and DS's had hamburgers which were the same as we had elsewhere. The only redeeming thing was the carrot cake dessert. We had eaten there before and enjoyed it but this time was very dissapointing. Our last trip we got BBQ sandwiches which were good, but this time that side of the restaurant closed at 5pm and we got there at 5:30pm. I would not advise going.

momof4va said:

that sounds like pearl barley to me rather than couscous - hmmmm

maxaroni said:
We enjoyed the dessert but ds is not a berry person so he just had some of the cream puff.

I'm not a berry person either - the dessert platter sounded so good. It's our first time to try Garden Grill, hopefully it's not as bad as posts on this thread indicate.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

pinchy said:
that sounds like pearl barley to me rather than couscous - hmmmm

No, it definately was not barley. I am a "Foodie", I know the difference. It actually was more like a small pea sized pasta that was way too mushy and the sauce made it even more so. Not appetizing at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter