~Back from POP and first trip using ECV~

NavyMomX2

Mouseketeer
My husband & I returned Monday evening from a wonderful 9-nt stay at POP. I want to take this opportunity to thank each of you who took time to answer my questions, offered advice, etc., with my concerns about using an ECV. I rented my ECV (and a canopy topper for an extra $15.00 - total) from Randy's Mobility and the service was excellent. I would absolutely rent with them again and in fact, I had several people stop me to ask if they could write down the phone number which, was embroidered on the canopy.

Our flight arrived at 8:05PM, and we did not check-in to POP until after 9:30PM, so I had arranged for Randy's to deliver the next morning. The driver was there promptly after 7:30AM. I was very, very hesitant, concerned, etc., about using an ECV as this is all still new to me. I quickly got my bearings and realized what a true blessing the ECV was.

With the exception of 3 RUDE WDW bus drivers (trust me - they were VERY rude) and my own initial frustration of navigating through intense crowds pre & post parade time :scared1: I managed very well. I'm normally a very positive person, so I didn't want to dwell on the rude bus drivers. I will say though, that not only was I treated rudely, the same drivers treated other disabled people on the same busses rudely. This was to the point that my husband & I finally went to Customer Relations at Disney. We suggested that they place able-bodied employees on ECVs or wheelchairs and let them ride various routes to see how their drivers treated them. I should stress that MOST of the drivers were absolutely wonderful. One was even very, very helpful off of the bus (shift change?) when we were waiting out a thunderstorm.

The CMs were all outstanding in their efforts to help! There were a total of 6 children and 4 adults in our group. Several times, we arrived at various times to one of the parks and only a few in our group were able to receive Fast Passes. Every single time I asked (nicely) if our entire group could be admitted together, we were allowed to! Twice, we didn't even have Fast Passes, but were wonderfully directed to the FP lane!! This was such a blessing because I would have found it very difficult to stand some days.

I'd like to also mention that my room was a "regular", ground floor room at POP and per the recommendation of someone here, we simply moved the table and chairs over a bit and the scooter fit perfectly in the room.

Sue, I particularly want to :hug: thank you. One of the first posts I read here was your reply to a mother who had a teen who was resistant to the idea of using an ECV. Your words truly were a lightbulb moment for me. Though your reply was for someone else, your words were EXACTLY what I needed to hear to feel better about my situation. I had NOT wanted to give in to my situation and I was being a stubborn horses patoot at the idea that I "needed" an ECV. Thank God I found this site, and the encouragement I needed to accept my limitations. Because of you and the other wonderful people here, I was able to fully enjoy myself! I'm grateful to you all.

If there is anyone here who is hesitating, resisting, being a horses patoot, embarressed, dreading, too proud, (etc.) to use an ECV, PLEASE do yourself a favor and realize that without it, you may miss much. With it, you may miss none of the magic!

I'm glad you had a good time and am sorry about the rude bus drivers. May I ask what they did or said? Were they being impatient, etc? We've had a few horrid experiences with the bus drivers at WDW, but as you said, the majority are so nice and friendly. I wish everyone had that attitude.---Kathy

Glad you had a good time:) I used a wheelchair on a few days when we went to WDW in Dec. I am thinking about an ECV for my October trip as it will be just me and DD (13). Was the ECV easy to drive? I have never used one and am quite nervous (as is DD--but she can't push the wheelchair for long periods of time). I don't want to ruin DDs birthday trip because I can't walk (if my arthritis flairs up) and am too afraid to drive the ECV. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just wondering about your experience as a new ECV user. Thanks :)

Thank God I found this site, and the encouragement I needed to accept my limitations. Because of you and the other wonderful people here, I was able to fully enjoy myself! I'm grateful to you all.

See I think that before you WERE accepting your limitations...but now you are realizing that you can go beyond them with a little technology!

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience! (With the exception of a few annoying bus drivers.) Especially with Randy's. In fact, I just booked with them for my trip in a couple of weeks.

Will bring my hockey stick along with me in case I encounter any of the same bus drivers! :rotfl2:

Sue, I particularly want to :hug: thank you. One of the first posts I read here was your reply to a mother who had a teen who was resistant to the idea of using an ECV. Your words truly were a lightbulb moment for me. Though your reply was for someone else, your words were EXACTLY what I needed to hear to feel better about my situation. I had NOT wanted to give in to my situation and I was being a stubborn horses patoot at the idea that I "needed" an ECV. Thank God I found this site, and the encouragement I needed to accept my limitations. Because of you and the other wonderful people here, I was able to fully enjoy myself! I'm grateful to you all.

If there is anyone here who is hesitating, resisting, being a horses patoot, embarressed, dreading, too proud, (etc.) to use an ECV, PLEASE do yourself a favor and realize that without it, you may miss much. With it, you may miss none of the magic!
Glad to be of help.
And, that you had a good time.:flower3:

This post could have had my user name on it. I posted almost the same thing about our experience a few days ago. I agree 100% about the bus drivers and had a very similar situation. I'm glad you had a positive experience with the ECV as well.

Glad you had a good time:) I used a wheelchair on a few days when we went to WDW in Dec. I am thinking about an ECV for my October trip as it will be just me and DD (13). Was the ECV easy to drive? I have never used one and am quite nervous (as is DD--but she can't push the wheelchair for long periods of time). I don't want to ruin DDs birthday trip because I can't walk (if my arthritis flairs up) and am too afraid to drive the ECV. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just wondering about your experience as a new ECV user. Thanks :)
You might want to go to a large store such as a WalMart or Target, or a large grocery store and "test drive" one of their ECVs when shopping.

However, be aware that the rental ECVs are three wheel, much easier to maneuver, and don't have that giant-sized basket in front.

It's fair season so I'm going to go to the county fair tomorrow and practice driving in crowds on an ECV. :moped: Also try the mall or any other crowded place, that's where I'm going to go this weekend.

First I would like to say that I have used an ECV since 1996 and without one I would not be able to go on a vacation to WDW. This is the second time I will be renting a scooter from a company based in Kissimmee, called Walker Mobility. The price is a little better then the ones rented from WDW especially if rented on a daily basis in the World.

We stay at a Disney Resort and the ECV is delivered the night before we arrive, charged and ready to use. The ECV is stored in a closet and my DSIL just needs to ask for the ECV at the check-in desk when we arrive. The ECV is easily stored in the room and charged at night while I sleep.

Practice with a scooter before you leave is a good idea for two reasons. Using a scooter in WalMart first is a good idea as it gives us practice in using a scooter. In WalMart it also gives us a good lesson in patience as people tend to cut in front of us in the store. Patience is my number one rule and even more so at Disneyworld. People don't tend to cut in front of you there. Scooters go faster or just as fast as people walking briskly.

Whether on vacation, in Walmart, or even a grocery store people using a scooter have a disability and to get outside the home means a fun time for us. We tend to want everyone else to enjoy the day too. It makes us easier to spot people who by the end of the day are tired and cranky. Do we want to be tired and cranky.....No, we are there to have the best of times.:cheer2:

Yup, I think having (mustering, finding, :laughing: ) patience is KEY to enjoying yourself on an ECV - at least for me. The first 2 evenings - I had my husband drive the scooter down Main St. :worship: (after parade) I hobbled along but I had HAD it with strangers' rears in my face, :lmao: walking INTO me and losing everyone else (in our group) because they seemed to forget ;) that I was trying to keep up. Anyhoo.....all worked out just fine and my DH got a taste of what it was like for me to maneuver in such crowds.

The rude bus drivers....well, one - after loading my ECV, then loading a wheelchair & lady, marches up to his seat saying, "You people are KILLING me!" Now, THAT was nice. :mad: Another actually smacked my husbands' hand (to remove it from the control) then stood in front of the ECV, grabbed the control to move it into position on the bus. Seems my husband wasn't moving as quickly as the driver wanted. I held my breath on that one because I wasn't sure how my DH would react. A dear lady was accompanying her severely handicapped, adult son AND her handicapped husband both of whom were in wheelchairs. The driver was blatantly irritated to have to "deal" with these folks. When we got off of the bus at POP, I told the lady that this was my first experience with ECV and asked if the rude driver was the "norm" that her family dealt with. The dear husband spoke up and said that unfortunately, the entire week had been "like this". There were other rude attitudes, but the one that really got my husband was when we were leaving AK. I saw a bus sitting, door open, at our stop. There was NO one at the waiting station. Very few people on the bus which, I guess is why the driver was sitting there with the door open. I zoomed ahead of my DH and when the driver saw me, he gave me a motion with his hand across his throat. Sort of like if you are motioning like you would to tell someone to quit. Anyway, about the time I realized that he meant he wasn't going to take me, my husband walks up and approaches the steps and the guy shut the door in his face & left. Trust me here, I am NOT exaggerating this - it caught me so off guard that I didn't know what to make of it for a few seconds. It was obvious that the driver didn't want to deal with me. My husband was PO'd. It was really his final straw with the drivers. Ah....there was certainly more "magic" than meanies on this trip though - that's for sure. Lots of wonderful CMs & two drivers who were so absolutlely wonderful (time & time again) that I gave their names & compliment to a CS person.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, especially for us "first-timers"!

So how was it maneuvering your ECV for the first time onto the bus? (can you tell that's my fear? LOL)

I only did it once :eek: and had to have my husband "park" it on the bus. The rest of the time, my husband took it onto the bus. I almost drove it into the bus wall. :rotfl:

I only did it once :eek: and had to have my husband "park" it on the bus. The rest of the time, my husband took it onto the bus. I almost drove it into the bus wall. :rotfl:

Pshaw, I ripped out the baseboard moulding at Casey's Corner in WDW. I had one of my nap attacks I guess and used the ECV to drive into the wall:woohoo: . In San Diego there was the time I fell aleep while at full throttle at SeaWorld. I almost drove off the ramp to the Ferry in Epcot.

Let the husband park the ECV as that is a great ego booster for men.

Race you to the castle.:woohoo:

My Dh parks my ECV after I transfer to a dining table. He found out the walls in Mooicco aren't really made of stone! :rotfl2:
Glad you had a good trip the rude drivers and all.

you had a nice trip to the World. It makes me smile to hear about your positve attitude. :) I am glad you reported those rude bus drivers. Life is so short and they should never be rude. Because one day they might have to use a ECV and I am sure they wouldn't want anyone being rude to them. :love:

:lmao: OH NO!! I know I shouldn't laugh, but I had to chuckle. Sounds like something I could have done. On my "practice runs" in Wal-Mart, I was proud ;) that I only knocked over a portion of a coffee display! :lmao:

I went on my first "practice" run at Wal-Mart today & I actually enjoyed going there :) Generally I hate it because of all the walking! I am feeling confident about our Oct. trip except for driving onto the busses (and DD can't drive for me). I hope with a little more practice I won't be scared of the busses. Thanks to everyone for encouraging me to give the ECV a try :)

:thumbsup2 WTG! I had to run several errands today and was thinking that I miss the ECV. Who'd-a-thunk-it? :confused3
Before coming here, I'd have sworn that there would be NO way I'd be thinking like this. Great gals, aren't they? :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter