• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from OKW

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
We're just back from our week at OKW. We absolutely loved the resort. We had a great 1 BR with a golf course view that was close to the Hospitality House (unit 6421 to be exact). The unit was in great condition. We only had one minor problem - a broken lamp - which was replaced very quickly after we reported it.

The first night we were there, we were in a Studio at OKW that was a long way away from Hospitality House. We didn't have a car and it wasn't real clear to us as to how we were supposed to get to our room. Well we ended up walking and it was quite a hike. The next morning we got smart and took the bus, carrying our luggage with us back up to Hospitality House. I then checked into our 1 BR unit. I specifically asked for a unit close by and low and behold unit 6421 was available plus we could get into the unit immediately (this was like 9:00 AM). We could not have been happier. My reason for mentioning all this is, in my opinion location matters a lot at OKW, especially if you don't have a car or if you plan to go back and forth to Hospitality House a lot. I still don't quite understand the roll of the bell hops in getting you and your luggage to your rooms, if you don't have a car. Will they take you to your room or do they just take your luggage? Do they charge for this service?

Okay moving on, what I plan on doing is just list some comments and observations I had over the week. Some may seem very picky and some may be more important. These are in no specific order.

- We used ME to get from MCO to OKW. I was disappointed we had to take a regular Mears bus rather than a real pretty ME bus. Plus we didn't get to see the video they usually plays as you travel to WDW. Sure this is no big deal, but it was kind of a little disappointment. Coming back this morning our ME bus was packed and folks had to stand. One family got on at SSR and then the father got mad and took his family off. I kind of don't blame him. They have to know ahead of time how many folks are riding. Why didn't they send more than one bus?

- Busses to the parks from OKW were very slow IMO. It seemed like we spent a lot of time waiting for busses. This seemed especially true with busses from Epcot. I know it has to do a lot with timing, but this was just an observation I had.

- We ate at Olivia's twice and enjoyed it both times. We also ate at Cape May, House of Blues, Liberty Tree Tavern, Kona Cafe and the restaurant at China. All meals were very good.

- We really enjoyed the boat ride from OKW to DTD and did the trip several times. Plus we visited the AKV models at SSR, just to see what we bought. I have to say I love the idea of AKV and am really looking forward to staying there but I'm still kind of disappointed in the look of the models. They seem kind of plain and cheapish looking to me compared to other DVC resorts (especially OKW). This is just my opinion though and I know others disagree.

- Purchased AP's this trip for the first time. They really do change how you visit the parks. There were a couple of times when we would go to a park, do one thing and then leave. It was much more relaxing using the AP. We didn't feel like we had to do everything in one visit. Several nights we went back to OKW early and just relaxed. No late nights at the parks. We plan on getting three trips out of these AP's. Trip 2 is AKV in December and trip 3 is back to OKW the week after Easter (that is if we can get ressies at 7 months) and going with DD27 (she teaches 4th grade and that is her Spring Break week).

- I was disappointed they were working on the LBV golf course. I was really looking forward to sitting out on our balcony and watch the golfers play by each morning. Oh well, we plan to stay there next March again, so maybe there will be golfers on the course then (including maybe myself).

- A minor item - refillable mugs. When did they stop having resort specific refillable mugs? The mug I got at OKW as a generic mug that they even sold in the parks.

- The parks were very crowded this last week and it was very hot.

- We did the Backstage Safari tour at Animal Kingdom and it was the highlight of our week. We went back stage and visited where they keep the giraffes and elephants, plus saw the entire back side area of the Safari area. Then we had our own personal Safari, with our tour leader doing the narration rather than the driver. I highly recommend this tour. In fact, DW and DD27 plan on doing it next March when we return.

- DTD was packed every time we went. The TV news was running stories about how WDW was increasing security at DTD because there has been an influx of gang activity there on weekends. This started when they stopped charging to get into Pleasure Island. It kind of came to a head week before last with the couple who say there were kidnapped. Speaking of TV news, for those folks living in central NC - you might remember Jim Payne on WRAL. He is anchor at WESH in Orlando.

- Car - we flew on Southwest and decided just a couple of weeks ago to do so. It is only a 10 hour drive for us and every time I fly, I'm sorry I did. I really did miss having a car. But a hint for folks. We did not order any groceries because we didn't plan on doing any cooking. But we did want some soft drinks and beer and I refuse to pay the prices in the resort store. As some one suggested, we took the boat to DTD and then walked to the Hess across the street. We purchased drinks and beer there and the prices were very reasonable. In fact, I think the Cokes and Diet Cokes we got, were cheaper than what we pay here at home The Hess is very close to the Pleasure Island bus stop. So it was no big deal at all to do this. From now on though, I plan to just drive (I know famous last words).

- Okay - what is my favorite resort now. I would have to say it's a toss-up between OKW and BWV. We love the convenience of BWV to get to Epcot, but I also love how great OKW looks and the unit was huge.

Any questions?

Thanks for the report! We'll be at OKW in Oct. and taking my parents, so it's good to hear the positive reports. We loved OKW on our last stay.

Glad you had a good stay at OKW! :)

We were in 6421 2 weeks ago and watched the shuttle launch from the balcony. They were renovating the green behind the villa - I'd guess it's still got a ways to go?

This view may look familiar to you:

9488ShuttleLaunch_003-med.jpg

Wow Doc - yep, I recognize the view. That would have been amazing to see the shuttle like you did. We could not have been happier with 6421. In fact, I plan on asking for it (or one in that building) next March. Regarding the green - yep they are still working on it. One thing strange happened last night. I was sitting out on the balcony around 9:00, thinking about how I really hated to leave this morning. Some kid (I say kid, it could have been an early teenager) walked out of the building to the right of us and then crossed across the bridge and started running all over the green. This was while the sprinkler was on. He then proceeded to walk thru the sand traps, etc. I almost called security because there are signs up everywhere telling folks to stay off the golf course plus I imagine they are really trying to get the grass to grow. But by the time I thought about calling he ran back across the bridge and disappeared. I thought the entire episode was really bizarre.

Thanks for the trip report, WolfpackMan.

We're going to OKW on September 30th. We're driving down (about 8.5 hours), so we'll have a car. I have never been to OKW, but I'm hoping for a great vacation!

Thanks for the report. We spent the second week of June there and will agree with the slow bus service to Epcot. Other parks seemed to run at least 2 or 3 busses to every one for Epcot. We really enjoyed the boat to DTD and getting a glimpse of the Treehouse Villas along the way. The refillable mugs suprised me, as well as the cast members telling us that we can use them at any of the Disney Resorts.

DH and I are taking our grown daughters who have never been to this resort.
We love it and can't wait! We rented a car last time and were very glad we
did. :thumbsup2

I am taking my parents and my sister's family in October, too. I think building 64 would be perfect. My family did a short stay at BCV in May and we watched the Epcot fireworks from our balcony every night. I thought this was just a great little perk. I asked on another thread about fireworks in OKW and it seemed there were buildings you could see them. Did you see any from 6421?

Glad you had a good trip...
I can't wait to try OKW:goodvibes

Can someone Clarify?

Are there bell services at OKW?
At SSR a CM in a golf type cart....took us and our luggage
to our room...with a nice narration of the resort on the way:goodvibes

I did ask at checkin...how do i get to my room...
she then directed me outside to bell services.
Thanks
Kerri

Thanks for the post. Glad you had a great time at OKW. We are staying at OKW in December for the first time. We just got back from our first DVC trip at SSR and we look forward to trying OKW.

I asked on another thread about fireworks in OKW and it seemed there were buildings you could see them. Did you see any from 6421?

Not from 6421 - its balcony is pointed in the wrong direction. We did see the fire works though several nights from the bridge next to Hospitality House.

Yes there is bell services at OKW and they will probably do exactly what you want. I have to say, I'm not real experienced in using bell services and like most men was afraid to ask. I guess I'd rather walk a mile than ask if there is an easier way to do something :). And poor old DW just follows along behind me.

WolfpackFan said:
I still don't quite understand the roll of the bell hops in getting you and your luggage to your rooms, if you don't have a car. Will they take you to your room or do they just take your luggage? Do they charge for this service?
Can someone Clarify?

Bell Services will take you and your luggage to your room. All you have to do is ask.
When you check in, just ask the CM at the desk and you will be directed where to go.
When you are checking out (or moving rooms), call from your room and they will come to get you.

There is no charge, but they do accept tips.

Even though it looks like a long walk (especially when you look at the maps or as you go around the grounds on the buses), it really is not as far as it looks. When we stayed in building 48, it was less than a 10 minute walk to get from our room to the Hospitality House. And we had a 70+ yr old woman with some walking problems with us, so we were not going at a breakneck speed. My FIL could not walk that far - he just walked to the bus stop and took the bus to Hospitality House.

We're just back from our week at OKW. We absolutely loved the resort. We had a great 1 BR with a golf course view that was close to the Hospitality House (unit 6421 to be exact). The unit was in great condition. We only had one minor problem - a broken lamp - which was replaced very quickly after we reported it.

The first night we were there, we were in a Studio at OKW that was a long way away from Hospitality House. We didn't have a car and it wasn't real clear to us as to how we were supposed to get to our room. Well we ended up walking and it was quite a hike. The next morning we got smart and took the bus, carrying our luggage with us back up to Hospitality House. I then checked into our 1 BR unit. I specifically asked for a unit close by and low and behold unit 6421 was available plus we could get into the unit immediately (this was like 9:00 AM). We could not have been happier. My reason for mentioning all this is, in my opinion location matters a lot at OKW, especially if you don't have a car or if you plan to go back and forth to Hospitality House a lot. I still don't quite understand the roll of the bell hops in getting you and your luggage to your rooms, if you don't have a car. Will they take you to your room or do they just take your luggage? Do they charge for this service?

Okay moving on, what I plan on doing is just list some comments and observations I had over the week. Some may seem very picky and some may be more important. These are in no specific order.

- We used ME to get from MCO to OKW. I was disappointed we had to take a regular Mears bus rather than a real pretty ME bus. Plus we didn't get to see the video they usually plays as you travel to WDW. Sure this is no big deal, but it was kind of a little disappointment. Coming back this morning our ME bus was packed and folks had to stand. One family got on at SSR and then the father got mad and took his family off. I kind of don't blame him. They have to know ahead of time how many folks are riding. Why didn't they send more than one bus?

- Busses to the parks from OKW were very slow IMO. It seemed like we spent a lot of time waiting for busses. This seemed especially true with busses from Epcot. I know it has to do a lot with timing, but this was just an observation I had.

- We ate at Olivia's twice and enjoyed it both times. We also ate at Cape May, House of Blues, Liberty Tree Tavern, Kona Cafe and the restaurant at China. All meals were very good.

- We really enjoyed the boat ride from OKW to DTD and did the trip several times. Plus we visited the AKV models at SSR, just to see what we bought. I have to say I love the idea of AKV and am really looking forward to staying there but I'm still kind of disappointed in the look of the models. They seem kind of plain and cheapish looking to me compared to other DVC resorts (especially OKW). This is just my opinion though and I know others disagree.

- Purchased AP's this trip for the first time. They really do change how you visit the parks. There were a couple of times when we would go to a park, do one thing and then leave. It was much more relaxing using the AP. We didn't feel like we had to do everything in one visit. Several nights we went back to OKW early and just relaxed. No late nights at the parks. We plan on getting three trips out of these AP's. Trip 2 is AKV in December and trip 3 is back to OKW the week after Easter (that is if we can get ressies at 7 months) and going with DD27 (she teaches 4th grade and that is her Spring Break week).

- I was disappointed they were working on the LBV golf course. I was really looking forward to sitting out on our balcony and watch the golfers play by each morning. Oh well, we plan to stay there next March again, so maybe there will be golfers on the course then (including maybe myself).

- A minor item - refillable mugs. When did they stop having resort specific refillable mugs? The mug I got at OKW as a generic mug that they even sold in the parks.

- The parks were very crowded this last week and it was very hot.

- We did the Backstage Safari tour at Animal Kingdom and it was the highlight of our week. We went back stage and visited where they keep the giraffes and elephants, plus saw the entire back side area of the Safari area. Then we had our own personal Safari, with our tour leader doing the narration rather than the driver. I highly recommend this tour. In fact, DW and DD27 plan on doing it next March when we return.

- DTD was packed every time we went. The TV news was running stories about how WDW was increasing security at DTD because there has been an influx of gang activity there on weekends. This started when they stopped charging to get into Pleasure Island. It kind of came to a head week before last with the couple who say there were kidnapped. Speaking of TV news, for those folks living in central NC - you might remember Jim Payne on WRAL. He is anchor at WESH in Orlando.

- Car - we flew on Southwest and decided just a couple of weeks ago to do so. It is only a 10 hour drive for us and every time I fly, I'm sorry I did. I really did miss having a car. But a hint for folks. We did not order any groceries because we didn't plan on doing any cooking. But we did want some soft drinks and beer and I refuse to pay the prices in the resort store. As some one suggested, we took the boat to DTD and then walked to the Hess across the street. We purchased drinks and beer there and the prices were very reasonable. In fact, I think the Cokes and Diet Cokes we got, were cheaper than what we pay here at home The Hess is very close to the Pleasure Island bus stop. So it was no big deal at all to do this. From now on though, I plan to just drive (I know famous last words).

- Okay - what is my favorite resort now. I would have to say it's a toss-up between OKW and BWV. We love the convenience of BWV to get to Epcot, but I also love how great OKW looks and the unit was huge.

Any questions?

I have lots of ?'s but your post mentioned my main concern!Sould we rent a car? I don't mind paying the 300$ if were going to use it I just didn't want to pay for the car to sit in the parking lot.(My luck we will get a close building to H.H and the main the pool after we get the car) We have 2 small girls and a double stroller. Would you recommend a car? We have never stayed at OKW so its all new to us.

I like your idea about going to Hess for pop and water. My DH said he would go by himself while I took the kids swimming. I asked him how he was going to carry all the drinks back and he said he would use the stroller:lmao: (so if you see a man pushing a stroller with water and pop thats my DH)

If we do rent a car me and the kids will still take the ME so they can mess with luggage and DH will drive the car. Was OKW the first stop from MCO?

Its sounds like it was very crowded last wk. we have friends that stayed at the swan and said that the parks were very crowded and would not be returning this time next year.
TIA
Laura

Howdy neighbor,

We were there last week too in room 6422. I was also disappointed that the #5 green was being refurbished, but it was still nice weather to sit out there and watch the ducks and weedeater man.

I thought the bus service was slower than usual, too, but not too bad.

We actually checked in at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday and our room was ready. The CM looked at her computer and said, "This cant be right". She was not convinced and said to be sure to let her know immediately if there were any cleanliness issues. But everything was perfect and the room was great.

If we do rent a car me and the kids will still take the ME so they can mess with luggage and DH will drive the car. Was OKW the first stop from MCO?
Each trip on ME is different. They plan the order of the stops depending on what resorts people are headed for.

We have 2 small girls and a double stroller. Would you recommend a car? We have never stayed at OKW so its all new to us.

We've done OKW before without a car. The Bell Service will be happy to transport your luggage and you to your room. They are located right near the HH/lobby check-in area. Just stop by their desk and they'll be happy to help you out with move-in as well as move-out. http://www.pbase.com/image/30152469
I don't think they get much "action" because alot of OKW'ers do bring their cars, so they probably get a little bored from time to time ;)

I don't find the walking at OKW any more than say resorts like POR/CBR etc. In fact, I found things spaced out much more at CBR. The furthest buildings we've stayed in at OKW (if you look at the map), were 43, 34 and 46. We actually timed the walks to the HH. From 43, it was about 9 min, from 34 it was 7-8 minutes and from 45 and 46 it was slightly shorter at around 6 min. I could see buildings 49 thru 54 being in the 12-15 min range.

M2DDs, with having a double stroller, you might want to request a ground floor or elevator building if you haven't already. Carrying the stroller up and down steps could be a hassle. We never had any longer waits for OKW than we have at any other wdw resort--and we've stayed at 9 different wdw resorts. It can all be in the timing though as Wolfpackfan said. If you just miss a bus, 15-20 minutes can see like a long time.

That's a shame about not being able to see fireworks from 64. We stayed in 62 before and had awesome views of Illuminations.

Thanks for the TR Wolfpackfan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter