Back from my first solo trip

happypaws

Mouseketeer
Life long WDW fan here, have been with family, friends, school, significant others, on conferences etc. This was my first time going alone. Was supposed to go with friends and stay off site but they bailed. So I made the decision to go alone. I was a little nervous, I have traveled alone before over the years, but it had been awhile.

First thing I did was splurge and upgrade to stay onsite. I booked a room at the Coronado. Staying onsite was good as a solo traveler, buses make it so easy. I really liked the Coronado, rooms were spacious, I was in Casitas. I got some pixie dust at check in, since my room wasn’t ready on the App and the CM upgraded me to a preferred room looking over the lake, but near the bus. Nice walking trail and I went for a run one morning. Pool was also excellent. Other adults like me using the slide between the kiddos. Plenty of lounge chairs to be had.
51856160-4055-44DA-85FF-A611FD18FEDE.jpeg
I had a ticket for MNSSHP the first day and was a littler nervous showing up in costume alone, but had such a wonderful time. I went as the Scarlet Witch. It was so fun doing and seeing all the things I wanted to do and talking to a few other people I met along the way. Sat in front row of Splash in my costume, wouldn’t recommend that.

C3C48483-B179-4583-8B75-E1B8BCCEE5D6.jpeg
Went to Epcot the second day and enjoyed going on all the rides in the morning, including guardians for my first time, got put in the front row :). Walking on to test track in the single rider line was a plus. Enjoyed some pool time to escape the heat mid day and went back for food and wine, stayed for harmonious, first time seeing that too.
306BDF9F-DEE4-423A-AE56-B6742CC021B5.jpeg
Last day my friend met me at the hotel. She is a CM at Animal Kingdom. We enjoyed some Mickey waffles together and delicious coffee from the lounge and just hung out all morning. It was a quick trip, but I think it was the perfect amount of time for my solo trip and was everything I wanted and needed.
D2DA8BD4-ECF7-4084-A22F-B6160AC90882.jpeg

Nice! Glad you had an awesome time. You're rocking that Scarlet Witch costime too - the ears are a nice touch.

I usually do a shorter trip when I go solo too - you can do so much when it's just you anyway so you can pack in more for less time.

Nice report. Any times where you felt awkward or out of place solo, or was it all good?

Nice! Glad you had an awesome time. You're rocking that Scarlet Witch costime too - the ears are a nice touch.

I usually do a shorter trip when I go solo too - you can do so much when it's just you anyway so you can pack in more for less time.
Thanks for the compliment and absolutely agree with the being able to do a lot. :)

Nice report. Any times where you felt awkward or out of place solo, or was it all good?
I would say overall it was good. Food and wine festival and the Halloween party were good events just to wander and feel good to be around others but also enjoy being alone. Im not an extroverted person, but it was fun to just connect and share in the magic with strangers sometimes.
Only time it got a little awkward was getting on rides. I got used to saying party of one quickly. I had a whole boat to myself in the Mexico pavilion which was a little weird but also fun.

Thanks for asking. I planned on writing a TR but got distracted. Overall it was a great trip. But I will say it was a bit weird being in the parks alone. I’m accustomed to solar hotel stays, dining and shopping alone, but the park (EPCOT) was strange.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I go solo to WDW often, I'm guessing I've done at least 15 solo trips. They range anywhere from 4 nights to 7 nights. I love going solo and have never felt uncomfortable. I usually travel solo any way since hubby hates to travel. I'm doing a solo trip in mid-April for 7 nights, right now it's a split stay with 3 nights at All Star Music and 4 nights at Dolphin. I got a decent end of year bonus so might change it to 1 or 2 nights at Music and the rest at Dolphin.

Thanks for asking. I planned on writing a TR but got distracted. Overall it was a great trip. But I will say it was a bit weird being in the parks alone. I’m accustomed to solar hotel stays, dining and shopping alone, but the park (EPCOT) was strange.
Yeah, Disneyland was weird alone, too, but I met other solo travelers in the single rider lines & they also felt a little weird. So, I wasn't alone in being alone! But, waiting for the evening spectacular (whatever it's called at Disneyland) was kind of lonesome. No one would talk to me & I sat there trying to be invisible in a very tight crowd. Otherwise, I was pretty much fine.

Yeah, Disneyland was weird alone, too, but I met other solo travelers in the single rider lines & they also felt a little weird. So, I wasn't alone in being alone! But, waiting for the evening spectacular (whatever it's called at Disneyland) was kind of lonesome. No one would talk to me & I sat there trying to be invisible in a very tight crowd. Otherwise, I was pretty much fine.

I find Disneyland to be more solo firendly than WDW. A lot of the young adult passholders drop in every now and then and I don't feel like you get as many werid looks. That said, who cares about weird looks? I've had a great time solo at WDW and DLR. I've had some fun line conversations too. Most people really aren't worried about it.

Last edited:
I find DisneyLand to be more solo firendly than WDW. A lot of the young adult passholders drop in every now and then and I don't feel like you get as many werid looks. That said, who cares about weird looks? I've had a great time solo at WDW and DLR. I've had some fun line conversations too. Most people really aren't worried about it.
I find the idea of WDW solo a bit intimidating. At Disneyland, I can just go for the day, but at WDW I would be alone for several days & that sounds like a lot, even to someone like me who doesn't really spend time with other people a lot. But I'm considering it!

I find the idea of WDW solo a bit intimidating. At Disneyland, I can just go for the day, but at WDW I would be alone for several days & that sounds like a lot, even to someone like me who doesn't really spend time with other people a lot. But I'm considering it!

It can be. I have found that short trips work best as a solo. I don't know how much travel that involves for you, but from here it;t a short flight, so I might jaunt down for a couple days. Often I would do a Halloween party or something on my arrival day which would also let me get my MK in, then hop between the otehrs on a second day, then out. I actually haven't done a solo in a while though.

It can be. I have found that short trips work best as a solo. I don't know how much travel that involves for you, but from here it;t a short flight, so I might jaunt down for a couple days. Often I would do a Halloween party or something on my arrival day which would also let me get my MK in, then hop between the otehrs on a second day, then out. I actually haven't done a solo in a while though.
I'm based in SoCal, so there's no such thing as s short hop to WDW lol But, I'm thinking of a long weekend in Hawaii, so why not 4 days in WDW? Thanks for your advice!

I felt the same thing before I tried it. I took a 3 day trip to DW about a year ago. Doing the parks really didn't seem odd at all. In some ways I liked it because most people I've been with are not as enthusiastic as I am. It was kind of nice to do everything I wanted. I also just got back from my first solo Disneyland trip. It seemed about the same in terms of oddness. Probably the weirdest part is doing a sit-down restaurant alone.. but you get over it pretty quick. I've noticed that I seem to score pretty good tables and stuff alone. I actually didn't travel to Disney parks for years because most of the people that I know don't care for them as much as I do... I love the parks so much and I decided that I wasn't going to be dependent on other people going any more... one of the better decisions I've made

Don't worry about it. I take anywhere from 4 nights to 7 nights solo and it's no problem. Just for the record, I'm a woman in my mid-60s. I find staying on property helps, nothing like just hopping on a bus, boat, monorail or even walking while in that bubble. It's nice to just do what you want, when you want and not have to worry about what someone else wants. I have been going with my son since he was just shy of 3 but about 10 years ago I started going solo because life got in the way for him. Since we have been going for so long together, we pretty much know what each other wants but it's still nice to just do my own thing. I'm going in April for 7 nights, 2 at AllStar Music and 5 at Dolphin.

I went alone in 2019 because my husband was on deployment and I was feeling a little depressed. I honestly had a great time, the weather was really perfect for just lounging in the parks and people watching. I feel like EPCOT and AK especially sre great solo--you can really taking your time wandering through shops, and drinking in all the details (and specialty beverages 🤪)

I stayed at Pop and one of my favorite parts was riding the Skyliner, either alone or meeting some pretty interesting people. It felt VERY nice to just wander aimlessly and enjoy the atmosphere.

Also LOVE your Scarlet Witch costume, you really nailed it! 😍

Sounds like you had an amazing trip. Did you get soaked on Spalsh? I was front row during MVMCP and I got very wet. But I guess that’s the fun.

I might be doing a solo trip in the next year or two so it helps to hear so many positive stories on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter