Back from DL/DCA (long)

Grog

Semper Gumby
Hello all.... got back in earlier this week from three days at DLR. Actually, because of the LA traffic it turned into two and a half days, but we still had plenty of time to see and do most of what we wanted. I hadn't been to DL in twenty years and was amazed at how it is now :D

In my opinion, if I had to choose betwen DLR and WDW for a short getaway (three days or less) I would choose DLR. You can't beat being able to walk between the two parks in less than a minute as opposed to waiting for a bus or monorail. And as for DCA, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the park is small and could use more rides but I like it. I was afraid that Paradise Pier was going to be tacky after all I had read about it but I didn't find it that way at all. You can still feel the Disney magic even among all those carnival rides and games. OK...on with the report....

Day 1.... had planned to get into Anaheim around lunchtime and hit a few rides early before taking in the Angels/Yankees game at Edison Field. THe LA traffic had other ideas that day and we arrived at our hotel (Ramada Maingate) about thirty minutes before gametime. We opted to skip the ballgame and rest for a bit. We finally made it into DCA in time to see the Electric Parade. I had forgotten how much fun this parade was. After this we made our way to DL to watch the fireworks (another great show). After a quick spin throught the Haunted Mansion and Mr. Toad, we decided to call it a night and come back fresh the next day.

Day 2.... Decided to use our EE day this morning. All the hotels had the EE time posted as 7:30 Am. For some reason there was a breakdown in communication and the time was actually 8:30 when the gates finally opened. By this time there was probably close to a thousand frustrated guests waiting to get in. To top it off, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland were open for EE. Luckily the EE crowd wasn't bad and we did the Matterhorn, Space Mountain, and Star Tours with almost no wait. At 10:00 we headed over to the Adventureland rope and as soon as it dropped headed for Indiana Jones. Got on with no wait, and then did the same For Splash Mountain. Did a couple of Smaller rides and then headed back to the hotel to rest a bit. Later that evening had dinner at the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney (good food, big portions, reasonable prices). Looked in some of the DD shops then headed into DCA just to look around and plan our next day.

Day 3.... Since the majorty of the crowds seemd to head into DL, we went straight into DCA. Got on California Screamin' (awesome coaster) with no wait. Then grabbed FP for Soarin' Over California. While waiting we went to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot and Took in Muppetvision 3D and Superstar Limo (SL is a good time killer if you don't have to wait in line to get on, other than that it would have been dissapointing). After that, went and grabbed another FP for Screamin' and then rode Soarin' (excellent ride). Went back and did Screamin' again then back to DL. Grabbed FP for Indy and then caught the monorail to DD and had lunch at ESPN again. We cut it close but got back JUST in time to get on Indy (after grabbing FP for Roger Rabbit). Did a few more rides, shopped a bit in DD, then called it a day

Overall we had a great time. The crowds were moderate most of the time and even on standby we never waited more than twenty minutes. As for DCA, Hollywood Backlot needs an E-ticket ride (rumor that they may put in a version of RRC). Condor Flats needs a smaller ride to compliment soarin'. I can't wait to go back.
:D :D :D

Thanks so much for posting! I can't wait to read your report over lunch today. I hope to plan a trip to the Disneyland Resort in the spring and I look forward to reading about your experiences!

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter