Back From Aulani!

mickeyshellbelle

Mouseketeer
Hi everybody!
My husband and I just returned last week from our vacation at Aulani. We also went to Kauai as well. We were lucky enought to go last year for our honeymoon and with Disney opening Aulani we decided to try that out for our 1 year anniversary. Never wrote a trip report before but thought it could be helpful for those who are going.

First impressions-So pretty. Open air lobby, greeted by name, given leis and information packet. We arrived just after 4 and our room was ready. Took about 35 minutes once we left airport. FYI-we were told rush hour is between 630-10 and 2-6. We ran into the afternoon traffic coming back from Aulani and it was pretty bad. Would definitely plan better next time. However, when we went back to airport we left at 8am and made it y 830 so I guess going from Aulani to airport isnt that bad.

Room- we had studio pool view. We were on the 5th floor which I believe is the highest floor for this category. We could see the ocean as well. Room was definitely smaller than other DVC studios but fine for the 2 of us. Bathroom was so nice and the bathrobes are to die for. Room was clean and in good condition. It was fun watching all of the pool action from our balcony and at night you could hear the muscians on the balcony as well. You could not hear anything when the sliding glass door was shut. Very soundproof!

Pool- Awesome and I am not a pool person. Water slides are so much fun. My husband and brother in law kept going on them. We had no problem finding lounge chairs but over the weekend it is noticeably more crowded. Not sure how their going to handle that when the resort is fully opened. Infinity hot tubs are so cool but as others have said are full of kids. Lazy river was so nice to do as well. Kids splash area looks fun for little ones and lots of parents with smaller kids seemed to set up shop at the loungers near the splash area which I thought was such a great idea. We did not do rainbow reef but spent time watcing the fish. Really nice collection of beautiful fish.

Beach-Beautiful, seriously postcard perfect! Plenty of loungers and saw umbrellas being set up as needed. Lagoon is cold but hey you get hot! They did have a floatey mat out there which we went on during the week. On the weekend it was full of kids. I told Disney in my survey they need to add another one. We also walked down to the other lagoons and they were less crowded. THere are also bathroom huts located sporadically along the lagoon which is nice if you are going to use the other lagoons. Side note- we saw so many weddings on the beach. I mean we saw then getting pictures and I'm assuming they used the chapel to get officially married. On Sunday there was one like every hour!

Service- Outstanding. Everyone so nice and helpful. Not one service issue did we encounter. There was always someone around to help. Really felt like we were on vacation-I liked that. Disney World needs to take a lesson from Aulani. I only say that because we have had so many problems the past few times we went that it's not like it use to be. Not at Aulani!

Food- Obviously there weakest point but I hope they're listening. Apparently they tweaked the menus before we went. AMA AMA's menu now has a chicken dish(important for us since my sister only eats chicken). The view is amazing from there and food is good but pricey. Worth to do once but I cant see us doing more than one dinner there. Off the Hook is great for drinks and bartenders were fun. We ate lunch several times there but the menu seriously has like 6 choices which also must have chagned before we arrived. I was looking forward to fish tacos(I only eat seafood) and now their only seafood choice was tuna. Not bad but I can only eat canned tuna so much! Drink prices I thought were reasonable for where we were. Much cheaper than the Grand Hyatt on Kauai and Grand Wailea on Maui which we did for honeymoon. We also wound up at Makahiki our last night(too lazy to go anywhere else) It was actually pretty good. We did breakfast there on non character day and again good but wouldn't do it everyday. Most breakfasts did continental foods at Olelo Bar. Nothing hot just basic bagels, fruit, parfaits, and pastries. Coffee is delicious and strong! Room service menu has way more choices and I dont understand why they cant implement some of them into the poolside and counter service options.

Non disney dining-We also went to Longboards at the Marriott timeshare up the road. Nice walk along lagoon, it's outside seating, menu had good selections, and food was delicious and didn't break the bank. Would highly reccomend. Also did Just Tacos across the street. It was just ok. Service was great though as were the margaritas. ABC store is awesome. So many food choices. Like a mini super market and CVS with many food choices at their counter in the back. Salads(which disney had none of for lunch), huge sandwhiches and asian foods. Definitely go there! We also went to the JW Marriott next store and ate at their lounge on the second floor. We shared a bunch of apps which were very good, bartenders nice to talk to(there's also tables and people had kids there) and the view is so pretty especially at sunset. Roy's was also delicous and would reccomend for a nice dinner. Sit outside and watch the golfers-so fun!

Activities- As others have said the Starlit Hui is beautiful and it's only 30 minutes. Wish they did another show of that calibur. Menehune Trail is fun and so clever. We also did the virtual postcard which is in the community hall room and its hilarious. Definitely do one. Also did one of the resort tours-the nature and wildlife of Aulani. Our host was so sweet and enthuastic about Hawaiian culture. I thought it was informative and well done.

SPA- I did a facial and my DH and I did a couples massage. Treatments were all well done, spa is beautiful and the outdoor garden is so nice and fun to try the different tubs and showers they have. I would say find a morning and take a few hours and go enjoy yourself.

We did not do any excursions through disney as we had a car and did things on our own much cheaper. We had plans to do Waikiki but opted to hang out at the resort instead. It was just too nice and tranquil to leave. For what it's worth we both fell in love with the Grand Hyatt in Kauai last year and could never imagined anything being quite as wonderful. Especially my husband who talked about that place for the past year. Well, on day two he said,"I think I might like this(Aulani) better than the Hyatt." Couldnt believe it but I kind of felt that way too. It's not as quiet and peaceful but relaxing enough to know your on vacation but still has plenty to do if you cant sit still like me! I have the daily IWA's so if anyone has any questions about stuff I dont mind taking a look for you. It was so wonderful that my DH said last night let's go to Aulani for your 30th instead.(we currently are suppose to GCV.) I'm not sure how serious he was but it wouldn't take much to change his mind. Any questions please ask!

Nice report!

We were there last spring and shared many of the same feelings you and your DH had. (I'm sitting here in my Aulani shirt as I type this)

We had many people ask us if we did this or that throughout the island on our trip. We had a car and got off the resort a lot but like you we found ourselves spending entire days just enjoying the resort.

We love Aulani and can't wait to go back!

Thanks for the trip report, we are going in June and finalizing all our plans now and are quite excited. Aulani seems to wonderful from each post that I have read and we simply can't wait to get there.

Exactly what was the virtual postcard, I don't seem to remember reading about that before. Do you e-mail it to friends/family?

We were at the JW Marriott at Ko Olina about 8 yrs ago and need to go to take the kids to Aulani. I heard airfare might be getting more affordable.

The virtual postcard is in the community hall room. It's where you pick up the device for the menehune adventure trail and they have other activities going on throughout the day. It's such a great souvenir and made many of our friends laugh!

I hope airfare is getting more afforable. Not sure where you live, but we're from the east coast and it was pretty much the same from last year and this year. However, since we returned last year in May, two nonstop flights have opened up. One on Continental from Newark and one from Hawaiian Airlines from JFK. I've also heard rumors of Southwest looking to fly there. They have acquired the right planes but have made no announcement. So I'm hoping that all means the market is getting more competitive which usually means better airfare prices!

Thanks
Wonderful Trip Report Going next month and you have given us some
great information

It was so wonderful that my DH said last night let's go to Aulani for your 30th instead.(we currently are suppose to GCV.) I'm not sure how serious he was but it wouldn't take much to change his mind. Any questions please ask!

you have already gone back on your first year anniversary (congratulations!!!) and he thinks he can wait until the 30th.....

lol :rotfl:

great trip report enjoyed it alot.

I read that differently. I assumed he meant her 30th birthday. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts