Back dated points when buying direct into sold out resort

JPKnapp

Mouseketeer
Hi all. I am dangerously close to signing up and feel like I've exhausted all my questions and have the right long term approach. Can I get a sanity check on one last piece.

I inquired yesterday about direct points at BLT for a Feb UY, 100 point contract*, expecting to have a few months wait but turns out they are immediately available. My guide Ricardo (anyone know him?) asked if I'd be interested in 2019 points. I thought this would only be available for use years in the future (Oct,Nov,Dec) so I declined. But he said he could give me Feb 2019 use year points, only pay prorated maintenance fees, then have the full set of points to bank into 2020 use year. So then needing to use 100 points before end of Feb 2021.

Since I cant use points until 2021 anyway**, I could bank the 100, leaving 200 in for 2020 use year. Rent the 200 at $15 (+3000) with a MF (-$213 and -$640) profit of (+$2100). Effectively dropping my cost per point by $21.

Thanks all.

* $225/pt (I know... but it's right for us. My strategy is buy direct for minimum then add on through resale). Getting to 300 points over 3 100 point contracts.
** Living overseas

Currently October and December Use Years are still in their 2018 use year. If you chose either Oct or Dec, you will receive 2018 points that you can bank into 2019 immediately.

We are already in the 2019 Use Year for all other Use Years (Feb-Sep). So you'll only receive 2019 points (NO 2018 points). Good luck with your decision!

Ricardo Q is our guide. We have no complaints whatsoever on the information he had provided, nor how quickly and efficiently our direct sales have gone through. SSR small contracts were available and for the UY we wanted. Our latest in April 2019 netted us last years points to use also. Our UY is April.

The deal with MF's is that you pay a pro-rated amount from the time of ownership. And, when buying direct, you are given current UY points so you are entitled to Feb 2019 UY points. I have never heard of them offering you the option to take them or not and paying the prorated amount for the remainder of the year.

So, if buying direct, your MF"S would be prorated from the date of your purchase until the end of the year. At this point in September, that would be 3 months and about 12 days (depending on when you actually buy).

Yes, banking 2019 UY points into 2020 UY would make them valid until January 31st, 2021. If you bank them, you can NOT transfer them to another member. You would have to use them during your 2020 UY or rent a reservation using those points.

So, I would absolutely insist on getting those 2019 UY points, you are paying for them in buying a contract in its 2019 UY!

Hi all. I am dangerously close to signing up and feel like I've exhausted all my questions and have the right long term approach. Can I get a sanity check on one last piece.

I inquired yesterday about direct points at BLT for a Feb UY, 100 point contract*, expecting to have a few months wait but turns out they are immediately available. My guide Ricardo (anyone know him?) asked if I'd be interested in 2019 points. I thought this would only be available for use years in the future (Oct,Nov,Dec) so I declined. But he said he could give me Feb 2019 use year points, only pay prorated maintenance fees, then have the full set of points to bank into 2020 use year. So then needing to use 100 points before end of Feb 2021.

Since I cant use points until 2021 anyway**, I could bank the 100, leaving 200 in for 2020 use year. Rent the 200 at $15 (+3000) with a MF (-$213 and -$640) profit of (+$2100). Effectively dropping my cost per point by $21.

Thanks all.

* $225/pt (I know... but it's right for us. My strategy is buy direct for minimum then add on through resale). Getting to 300 points over 3 100 point contracts.
** Living overseas

Asked you if you were interested? That's weird. Of course the Feb UY comes with 2019 points - all UY's do at this point but Oct and Dec actually are still in their 2018 UY and would start with those points if they had contracts to sell today.

You should absolutely get 2019 points for a Feb UY if you purchased today. You are still in the 2019 UY.

I want to avoid speculating here because I wasn't on the call, but something doesn't sit right with me regarding the way these points were discussed. What I can say factually is that he did not offer you anything above and beyond what you are legally entitled to. I think it would be helpful for you to read this thread on understanding use year:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-march-10-2019.1942668/
As for your thoughts on banking and renting the points, it's a good strategy. Congrats on your purchase!

This is all very interesting. Let’s say I buy 200 points direct (March use year) before the end of this year. I would get 200 (2019) points that I could bank? 2019 points (March use year) have to be used by Feb 28, 2021? Thanks for helping me to understand.

This is all very interesting. Let’s say I buy 200 points direct (March use year) before the end of this year. I would get 200 (2019) points that I could bank? 2019 points (March use year) have to be used by Feb 28, 2021? Thanks for helping me to understand.
As long as you buy the March UY contract prior to March 1, 2020 you would get 2019 points. Those points would need to be banked to be used March 1 2020 - Feb 28, 2021. Buying direct just ask them to bank those points even if you are beyond the banking deadline.

The points aren't "back dated" because you're still in the 2019 use year. You are legally obligated to those points.

More importantly, do you permanently reside overseas? If your country's economy takes a hit or the currency is poor vs. the dollar, would that impact your decision to fly to the U.S. and vacation at WDW? If so, then give strong consideration to whether or not buying DVC at all is right for you.

Ricardo Q is our guide. We have no complaints whatsoever on the information he had provided, nor how quickly and efficiently our direct sales have gone through. SSR small contracts were available and for the UY we wanted. Our latest in April 2019 netted us last years points to use also. Our UY is April.
He is our guide as well. We've never talked to him since he was assigned to us after we had purchased all the points we will ever buy. We had an original salesperson who we bought our four contracts from and she moved up into management or retired (not sure which).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!