Babywearing in ride queue?

ShanaMouse

Mouseketeer
We will be heading to the house of mouse soon with my, then, 18 month old.
We'll have the stroller but I am wondering what you all do while waiting to get on the rides, in the actual queue - do you hold your little one or do you babywear? We will likely only ride rides for which we have fastpasses so the waiting shouldn't be too long but just wondering if its worth it to bring the baby carrier.
I may be taking longer to strap him in than we wait in line LOL - just looking to see what you all have done.

Thanks!

I wore mine all over Disney. It was easier on my back to use the ergo. Plus if he fell asleep we could still ride things without waking him.

I've done it all. :rotfl2: We've taken all 3 of our kids from 4 months to high school aged. Check the wait time before you get in line. If it's super long then the FP wait might be longer as well. It also depends on the mood of my kiddo. Some of the attractions have things for kiddos to do while in the que, but usually not the FP que.

I say pack the baby carrier. You can always park the stroller and walk for a bit. It also helps when you go into buildings or if your little one is tired/ sleepy. I might or might not have pictures of trying to eat with a baby strapped in the carrier asleep because strollers weren't allowed in the quick service. :rolleyes1Sometimes in and out of the stroller can get to be tiresome.

We just carried our then-18 monthbold through the lines. We only rode with a FP or if standby was 10 min or less. I thought it would be too much hassle to get him off and on our backs all the time. Plus, lugging 30 lbs around on my back in 90+ degrees didn’t really sound fun. We used the stroller in between rides and it worked fine.

We like to use a nice mixture of the stroller and the carrier. I use a Moby, but still it takes awhile to get one and off. So, we tend to plan some active rides while she is awake, like small world and pooh, and then we schedule several times throughout the day where she will be able to sleep. Either we plan for several rider swap rides so she can sleep in the stroller and we can switch adults with her, or we will schedule several shows like Country bears and hall of presidents where i can wear her in the carrier during those shows and the waits in between so that she has a nice long nap. We tend to switch off which one we do based on our touring plans as well as how well shes doing. If shes still hanging in and the shows are next in our plan, we will postpone that until shes in more need of a nap, and then when shes wiped out we will switch back to our original schedule and add those back in. With littles, its kind of essential to have a go with the flow mentality, even though we are SERIOUS touring plan people.

Definitely take a baby carrier. At that age, for short times that will not involve a nap, I prefer a hip carry with my ring sling. Fast and easy. For longer times that might include napping, I use a Mai Tai or an Ergo, also fast. I don’t prefer wraps for the park, as they are really hot and take a bit more effort to get on. Yes, I take two carriers to the park, but they aren’t bulky and I just toss them in the bottom of the stroller when I don’t need them. Totally worth it to me.

If the line is under 20 minutes, we let our kids walk. It was a good chance to stretch their legs and get the wiggles out. Longer than 20 we found they got impatient or tired of waiting (or sometimes a little over stimulated on noisier/darker lines) so I wore them. It’s nice to have the option! I always buckle the carrier onto the stroller frame in the basket when we aren’t using it so it is not so easy to swipe.

We use a Kinderpack and found it very easy to get off and on, I just leave it buckled around my waist when we hop on the ride and take the toddler out so she can face forward on my lap.

Thanks everyone! it definitely sounds like having the carrier wouldn't hurt. I appreciate all of the feedback!

Bring the sling or whatever carrier you and the baby are used to. I alternated between having the baby in the Baby Bjorn, the maya wrap sling, the stroller, and carrying him (he was 9 months old when we took him).

What rides can we wear our little ones?

I would think any ride that doesn’t require a restraint....? I know for sure all shows it’s fine but not sure about stuff like POTC or IASW. But I wouldn’t think it would be an issue. As long as you don’t need a restraint like on Peter Pan, where you go through the air and everyone is supposed to be under the lap bar, I would assume it’s fine.

Hard-frame carriers are not allowed on the rides; you have to leave those in the loading area and wait for a CM to bring it around to you at the end of the ride, which can take awhile if the line is busy.

Front soft carriers can be worn on the rides with the baby in them, but in situations where there is a safety bar, such as Pooh, you'll need to be able to scoot kiddo sideways or the bar won't fit. I found that for an older baby, a sling was best, because you can easily use it to side-carry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!