Babywearing a 1 year old

The problem with the Ergo 360 (of which the Ergo cool air is a variation) is that it has a front carry weight limit of 27 lbs. People with a 1 year old would need a different carrier if they wish to front carry. It work if they only wish to back carry though.
Well... That depends on a baby. Our son is 10.5 months old and not even 21 pounds. Can't imagine gaining 6 pounds in 2 or even 3 months considering he will start walking soon, he will likely lose since baby fat. However I was not aware it is a different weight for front carry. Will research :)

My son hit 30 lbs at 18 months. I'm starting to think I'm raising King Kong...I can't imagine what he will weigh when he's 4.
My daughter was 28 lbs somewhere between 15 months to 18 months, but at 3 she's 31 lbs. She's grown taller and thinned out big time. I was scared how big she would be! Lol since she's longer now it's actually easier to carry than at 18 months. Every baby/ child is different for sure....just my experience!

Well... That depends on a baby. Our son is 10.5 months old and not even 21 pounds. Can't imagine gaining 6 pounds in 2 or even 3 months considering he will start walking soon, he will likely lose since baby fat. However I was not aware it is a different weight for front carry. Will research :)

It surprised me too, but the product info says front carry up to 27 lbs and back carry up to 33 lbs.

My son was close to 27 lbs at a year and 30 lbs by 18 months. He started walking at 14 months. He's 21 months now and I'm not sure of his weight.

The problem with the Ergo 360 (of which the Ergo cool air is a variation) is that it has a front carry weight limit of 27 lbs. People with a 1 year old would need a different carrier if they wish to front carry. It work if they only wish to back carry though.

Not necessarily! Depends on the kid. My 1yo (just turned 1) is 18 lbs so has plenty of front carry time left. Just depends how big they are. Although, my oldest got so squirmy after she could walk she never wanted me to wear her anymore. This guy is a wiggler and I think he's going to want more freedom when we go next month :) Even though I could front carry him, I'm not sure he'll let me. We shall see!

I'd stay away from anything that faces outward. I know that the Ergo 360, Lillebaby and Beco Gemini all do it ergonomically, but the reality is that an average 11 month old is going to weigh over 20lb and that is a lot of weight to have pulling forward on your back. The way that their centre of gravity is in those carriers makes it hard on your back.

If you are willing/able to back carry, most SSC will be good options. The most important thing is fit. Not every carrier fits every person. I don't really like the Ergo, but I love the Boba 4G. The Tula is great (and very big - you can easily use a standard Tula for most 3 year olds). Lenny Lamb's are really popular in my area. By using a high back carry, you can let them see over your shoulder and keep them contained at the same time.

A side note on the Lillebaby Complete. I help run my local BW group and we have one of these carriers. It's comfortable, but I hate it, because there are so many parts that it's awkward. Plus, we tons of them listed for sale after a very short time, so I think it's a pretty common issue. I love simplicity (one of the reasons I really like the Boba 4G). If you can get out to a local store that sells carriers or a BW meeting locally, you can try on multiple types of carriers before buying and see what fits you best. Plus, lots of local groups have FSOT pages and you might be able to score a deal.

I'm an avid babywearer and have worn 9 mo, 21 mo, and 27 mo kids for very long periods at WDW. I only wrap, so can't speak to structured carriers. My back is used to it and I don't have back pain, but do take turns with my husband when we're traveling. I like woven wraps because they fold up and fit in my purse, and one wrap can fit both of us and put either kid up in various carries. We usually do bring one umbrella stroller as well, but I'm thinking of ditching it our next trip as more trouble than its worth - our boys will be 6 and nearly 3. I'll still bring a wrap and my younger one can go up for naps or for trekking across the park, or older one too in a pinch. It's definitely doable. We've always brought the stroller but we keep forgetting it in stroller parking and having to backtrack clear across the park a few hours later to rescue it, lol

I carried mine in a sling a lot at WDW, but I also had a stroller for when I didn't want to... I can't imagine easy eating with a one year old strapped to the front of me at a TS place....mine used to grab at food etc too much! I'd use a highchair at a table IMHO

Our first child, no, 2nd child yes, 3rd child yes, 4th child both dh and I, we needed as many hands as possible with 4.

I baby wear my kids until they are over 2, more for my convenience than anything else. My favorite for older kids is a ring sling with a hip carry - basically the same as carrying your child on your hip the way we all do, but the sling holds the weight rather than your arm.
That's what I did too. The only time it was an issue was when I hadn't carried a child for a year and then he refused to walk or use the stroller in Disney so I had to use the sling. He was almost 3 years old then and it was a struggle! Otherwise, no problems - and two of my three kids were fairly large. I stopped with my first child when he was 16 months, which was 33 lbs. That kid wanted to walk everywhere though. I was at my very, very lowest weight then at 96 lbs and still managed to carry the 33 lbs baby/toddler just fine. You get used to it.

As for eating, I used the sling as a seatbelt if I couldn't find any high chairs. It helped keep them in the seats better.

I baby wear a lot because I had all my kids close together and it is easier to chase a toddler with a baby carrier than a stroller. My original ergo and my twingo have always been my favorite carriers although I do have a couple mei tais that I use from time to time. The key to the ergo style carrier is adjusting it. Make sure the waste band is tight enough and above your hips, if you wear it low the weight will be on your shoulders, you want the bulk of the weight to be carried by your hips. It is not the most flattering way to wear it but it is by far the most comfortable.

While I'm hot just reading and thinking about wearing my son on our next trip (who will be 14 mos), I can totally appreciate feeling more nimble. Just a heads up there are some baby wearing groups on FB for mamas that live and breathe all things babywearing. Also, in seattle where we live the local baby wearing group (yes, really - what a time to be Alive!) swaps and lends out carriers so you can borrow one before you buy it to see it it works for you! Have a fun magical trip mama!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!