Baby Swap with Teenager

SandrainNC

DIS Veteran
We will be going to WDW in November with my sister, her husband and my nephew. My nephew is 16 and has Aspergus (not sure if I am spelling it correctly). I know that the baby swap is for children who can't ride certain rides (I have a 3 year old son with Down syndrome so I know we will be using it), but would they allow us to also baby swap my nephew? He does not like roller coasters or anything like that, so I know he won't want to ride, but we also don't want to leave him alone to wait on us. I am just wondering if we are going to have to explain every time why my grown up looking nephew is having to be baby swapped. (He might not like that very much!!) Have any of you ever done this before or had a problem? Thanks!! Sandra

All the thrill rides have 'chicken' exits right up until the very last point, so your nephew can wiat in line with you (most of the lines are themed and very entertaining in their own right), then just tell the cast member who is boarding you that he has decided not to ride. The CM will direct him to a waiting area, usually by the exit, where he can wait for you. The rides themselves are fairly short, so he won't be waiting more than a few mintues in most cases. CMs are quite used to nervous kids and adults, and won't make fun of him or anything like that. I've used the chicken exits myself for Rock and Roller Coaster and Mission:Space (I can only handle so much spinning in one day!) so my DH didn't have to wait in line by himself.
This is assuming however that a 16 YO with Asperger's is not gong to melt down having to wait in line for a ride he isn't going to get to ride. If that's the case, perhaps another non-thrill seeking member of your group and he could do another attraction while the rest of youare getting your fill of the thrills!

I don't see why they will not allow this. ACtually I would get a GAC for this reasaon that way you will not have to explain yourself all of the time.

Thanks! I forgot about the chicken exit. Plus, he would be able to just stand with whoever has my son at the time too, so his parents could actually ride together. My nephew does tend to be a little claustrophobic. My sister had a hard time with him last time they were there any time the line was inside and looked like it would be dark. He was only diagnosed this year so now my sister understands why he has some of the problems that he does. We will just see how he does and go from there.

3DisneyNuts - What is a GAC?

I appreciate your answers!! Sandra

Originally posted by SandrainNC
Thanks! I forgot about the chicken exit. Plus, he would be able to just stand with whoever has my son at the time too, so his parents could actually ride together. My nephew does tend to be a little claustrophobic. My sister had a hard time with him last time they were there any time the line was inside and looked like it would be dark. He was only diagnosed this year so now my sister understands why he has some of the problems that he does. We will just see how he does and go from there.

3DisneyNuts - What is a GAC?

I appreciate your answers!! Sandra
It is a guest assistance card I will find the link for you. It is made to help people with disablitites enjoy WDW. It notifies the cast memebers of an indiviuals or families needs.

Originally posted by 3DisneyNUTS
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=566550

i am sorry it is a GAP not a gac...but here is a link to the thread on it :)
No, you were right before. It is a GAC (Guest Assistance Card), not a GAP (Guest Assistance Pass). They changed the name to CARD about 6 years ago or so because people thought a PASS gave immediate access to rides. That's not what it does or is meant to do. It is meant as a tool to help the CMs at the rides know what special needs people with disabilities have. It is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line, just to make the conditions of the wait more suitable for the needs of a person with a disability.

Oh, ok, I know what that is. I didn't realize they changed the name of it. He doesn't really have a problem standing in line, so we hadn't planned on getting one. Of course, it has been a while. I guess we will see when we get there and go from there.

Thanks!! Sandra

We do child swap with our 20 yr old son with Down Syndrome.

One parent stays while the other rides with other kids, then we swap off.

There has never been a problem with using it with him. Ask at each ride their procedure before you enter as it is not the same at each ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter