Baby Food

anthonysmommy

Earning My Ears
We will be going to WDW with our 10 month old in May. I am trying to figure out how to pack jars of baby food. We'll probably need about 40 jars. We will not have access to a grocery store. Will it be easier just to buy them there? Does anyone know where to get them, and the prices? Thanx!

Jenn

ASSp June 99
ASSp July 01
ASMo May 03

Other than getting to a grocery store off-site, there really isn't a HUGE selection in WDW. You'll have to bring your own then. What I used to do, is pack it in several different grocery bags, and then pack those bags in a carry-on. You won't be able to check the baby food, since most likely they'll be breakage. I have to ask why you won't have access to a grocery store. If you're not renting a car, you can get a towncar service to pick you up at the airport. Most of those services have a free 30 minute grocery stop included in their fare, so you could just run in and pick up what you needed then and save all the lugging.

The baby care stations located in the parks sell baby food and formula. We visited the one in AK and we thought it was gorgeous! They had changing tables, high chairs, a TV, a microwave, a water cooler(with H/Cold) and plenty of products to purchase in case.

we traveled to wdw in september with our dd 9 months old. i called the airline prior to traveling and they stated that you couldn't bring the baby food jars on your carryon as they glass could be used as a weapon. Gooding grocery store is a short cab ride from any of the disney hotels. It is very expensive but so handy.

madison12 - thanks for the heads up. I only bought baby food once on a plane and it was pre Sept 11th. I used to buy it when I got to my destination, but my kids have outgrown baby food, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. So, anthonysmommy, I'd suggest you buy some of the plastic containers of food, for the plane ride down and plan on buying food offsite. The babyfood at any of the WDW places will be SOO expensive, it will cost a small fortune!!!I just remember it being at least twice the price and maybe even more!!!

We have a special needs child and we need adult diapers and wipes for him. We have in the past always called the Disney hotel we are staying in an asked for a mailing address to ship a package to. We call a few days ahead to make sure it has arrived. So far we have done this 4 times and we have never had a problem. Perhaps you could pack up some baby food and ship it down so you have it all there when you arrive?

Like D and Ls Mom, we shipped it down along with diapers and wipes. It worked well as far as shipping it down. DS was 7 months at the time. This was the trip where he learned to eat and love table food.

So, at the end of the trip, we still had a lot left over. It wasn't so easy to send it back....we needed a box which we didn't have. Fortunately, the CM's at the Poly were more than helpful. For what it's worth, if you do ship it down, make sure you keep your box.;)

At 10.5 months right now, my DD isn't really big on baby food - she has no teeth, but still prefers whatever Mommy and Daddy are eating! So I wouldn't worry right now for what to do in May - you may find in a couple of months that the baby doesn't want to eat as much baby food as you think now.

We're driving down ourselves in 10 days, so we'll probably pack a couple of jars, but we're taking most of what we currently have in the house to her cousin since she gets more calories from table food (bread, cheese, yougurt, etc). At 10 months, there's very little an infant shouldn't eat, so you may find that yours will want more of what you're eating, and honestly, that makes it a lot easier to feed them in the parks!

Mur!

I could be very wrong, but don't they sell baby food in plastic containers now? That way, you could put some in your carry-on bag.

You could also use netgrocer.com. You order the babyfood there and just have them ship it to the hotel. We'll probably be doing this when we go in my with DS who will be 8months.

Owensamo is right. I bet in another two months you won't need near as much jar food as you think. There will be many things that your little one can eat off your plate or a buffet. Mashed potatoes as well as other vegtables& fruits and even a little choped up chicken by this age might taste good. You could take a few packs of the plastic containers of fruit to feed if your meal is not suited to your baby.
If he is not already doing so I would introduce finger foods now. They can be great for a little one to self feed in the high chair while you finish a meal and great attention getter on the plane.Also check out the gerber gratuates food. Lots of choices
in non glass micowavable containers as well as good for them finger foods. Remember in MAy it will be hot and you will need to add extra water to his diet as well as making sure he does enjoy a few juices or other drinks by this time.Extra nursing if your are doing that will help also.

Enjoy the trip and don't worry. He will not starve.

Jordan's mom

I agree w/ Owensamo and Jordon's MOM,
I bet in another two months you won't need near as much jar food as you think.
Read more advice in posts to a similar thread posted 3/9/03 on this forum titled
"Need advice on feeding 10 month old at MK . . . "

I had read someone had used bubble-wrap and packed the jar food in their luggage. We wound up just buying food down there for our 5 month old. He's just about a year know and we just plan on feeding him from our plates.

my dd didn't eat solids until 8 1/2 months and wouldn't touch that nasty jarred stuff. i agree that your baby will probably want finger foods by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter