Autographs

Jessica Rust

Mouseketeer
What do y'all use for autographs? Last time I got an 8x10 picture frame mat. I am torn between taking the same mat back and having the characters I didn't meet sign it (there is definitely room), or if I should do something else, maybe a few smaller autograph frames. It was kind of a pain to carry around everywhere and I am worried about taking it on the plane this time (we drove last year), but I loved the way it turned out. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

What do y'all use for autographs? Last time I got an 8x10 picture frame mat. I am torn between taking the same mat back and having the characters I didn't meet sign it (there is definitely room), or if I should do something else, maybe a few smaller autograph frames. It was kind of a pain to carry around everywhere and I am worried about taking it on the plane this time (we drove last year), but I loved the way it turned out. Thanks in advance for your ideas!
I would be concerned about the original frame getting damaged on this second trip, either by the airline or just in this round of day-to-day handling. You could always start over with a smaller piece so that you don't come home with a second half-filled frame. And you won't have to worry about tracking down particular characters. The flipside to bringing the same frame back is cutting down on the number of characters you will have to find so that you can focus on finding new characters. Do you have a photo you could post of your original piece? This way we can see how much space you are really talking about trying to fill.

Last time I used a white fabric tote bag I had bought in one of the Disney Springs (Downtown Disney then) shops. It had artistic drawings of all the princesses and then a completely white backside. With a sharpie all the characters were able to sign the tote and I got the princesses all to sign their dresses on the front! It was a fun different idea and I now have it hanging up in my apartment. The downside is that I am afraid to use this tote ever again because I can't wash it if I do. The upside was that I was using it to carry stuff around in the parks so it had a dual purpose! On this same trip, my one girlfriend got the park map signed and another girlfriend got a Disney storybook signed. Which is what I have started to do now as well (the storybook). Downside to that is that it is heavy!

I would be concerned about the original frame getting damaged on this second trip, either by the airline or just in this round of day-to-day handling. You could always start over with a smaller piece so that you don't come home with a second half-filled frame. And you won't have to worry about tracking down particular characters. The flipside to bringing the same frame back is cutting down on the number of characters you will have to find so that you can focus on finding new characters. Do you have a photo you could post of your original piece? This way we can see how much space you are really talking about trying to fill.

I would take it in my carry on for sure. I carried it in my backpack all week in the padded section made for a laptop. It held up pretty well, but I wasn't planning on carrying the big backpack all the time, especially to MNSSHP.

Attachments

• 2018-03-30_17-39-01_032.jpeg
    2018-03-30_17-39-01_032.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 30

And I have two of these if that makes a difference. My mom did one and she ended up not wanting it.

We use this book and the characters sign on their page. Most are very familiar with them and find their page pretty quickly. I remember when the "Queen" found hers, she marked through the word "Wicked"and said that was wrong! We keep a package of push-top sharpies to make it easier for the characters to use. We have used this book for years and the kids love to read the book while waiting in lines! Our book has become a family heirloom!!! Ha!

Attachments

• IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 40

DS wants to make a photo album with his character photos and their autographs, so we're just going to carry the basic little autograph books. We'll skip pages so that he can either opt to insert photos into the blank pages, or remove the autographed pages and put them into an actual photo album. :) The nice thing is that they are lightweight and if you need another, you can buy one in the park. :)

We use this book and the characters sign on their page. Most are very familiar with them and find their page pretty quickly. I remember when the "Queen" found hers, she marked through the word "Wicked"and said that was wrong! We keep a package of push-top sharpies to make it easier for the characters to use. We have used this book for years and the kids love to read the book while waiting in lines! Our book has become a family heirloom!!! Ha!

Does that Encyclopedia have everyone that you may run into? Taking our boys in Sept and i think that would be an amazing idea.

What pens are easiest for them to use? Want to get Pooh and friends to sign my sister’s birthday card. She love Tigger! Thanks!

The larger the circumference of the pen the easier it is, but they can and do use normal size pens. Choose a non-smearing pen though as their hand will brush across the signature as they’re signing.

We do the book you can get in the parks and a sharpie or a big Disney pen. Having the book last time left plenty of room for extra notes like Happy Birthday from a couple of characters. With anything else we wouldn't have had room. He loved it.

Does that Encyclopedia have everyone that you may run into? Taking our boys in Sept and i think that would be an amazing idea.
It only has animated characters, but YES it has most of the characters you meet. If we came across one that didn't have a page, the character just signed inside the front/back cover. There is also a blank sheet in the front and back, that we haven't even used. I bought the book on Amazon.

Last edited:

The only characters that we sought autographs from that didn't have a page in our version was Joy and Sadness, and they signed in the front and back covers (I don't remember if LaunchPad had a page). Like a PP said, it's only animated characters (so no Jack Sparrow or Mary Poppins). Merida was delightful with the book. She immediately flipped to the page for her brothers and wrote a special message.

We got an autograph book from Disney and would take (and later paste) a picture with the character on the opposite side of the characters autograph.

Thanks for all the replies! I now know which pens - just have to decide on a color(s). May do orange for Tigger, pink for Piglet, blue for Eeyore, and red for Pooh. Again- Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I now know which pens - just have to decide on a color(s). May do orange for Tigger, pink for Piglet, blue for Eeyore, and red for Pooh. Again- Thanks!
That's what we do! My kids take turns giving the characters the book to sign. And they always pick a color that coordinates with their costume! Ha!

We did the frame for my Mom, when we did the 4 generation trip and gave her the photo with the 4 of us in front of the castle.
Last time I used a white fabric tote bag I had bought in one of the Disney Springs (Downtown Disney then) shops. It had artistic drawings of all the princesses and then a completely white backside. With a sharpie all the characters were able to sign the tote and I got the princesses all to sign their dresses on the front! It was a fun different idea and I now have it hanging up in my apartment. The downside is that I am afraid to use this tote ever again because I can't wash it if I do. The upside was that I was using it to carry stuff around in the parks so it had a dual purpose! On this same trip, my one girlfriend got the park map signed and another girlfriend got a Disney storybook signed. Which is what I have started to do now as well (the storybook). Downside to that is that it is heavy!
We've done this.
Also a pillowcase, with a quote from Walt embroidered on it, "It All Started With A Mouse....."
Also a T-Shirt
And I haven't done it myself but I saw someone do this with a pair of white Keds

We've done this too. It was at least 5, 6 years ago (when Frozen first came out, it was brand new with adding them in it) and the Characters got a huge kick out of reading about themselves.

In addition to these things above, we've done
Regular autograph books bought over the counter
Custom made autograph books (printed pages from designs found here on The Dis)
White wooden initial letter
Large glow in the dark Vinylmation Mickey (back when they still made the thing)

I'm gonna be honest and say that I'm rather glad DGD has outgrown this and we no longer have to come up with ideas I'm flat out of new ones

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!