• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Autistic Son and Finger Scan

Andy too

Earning My Ears
We took a few trips three years ago to the world and my autistic son had a great time. We are heading back in 2006 and now he'll be an "adult" (12 yo). I don't think he'll be capable of doing the biometric finger scan. How do I get him into the parks without it being a big deal every time we go through a turnstyle?

Hopefully, you will get some advice from other parents of older children with autism who can give some advice, but here's my take on it.

I'd just tell the CM at the scan point that he has special needs and won't be able to do the scan. My best guess is that they won't make him try unless he wants to, as long as you explain it (after all, they don't want him upset any more than you do).
If he's using a special needs stroller or a wheelchair, they probably won't even ask. My youngest DD has been an adult (at least at WDW) for a long time. They see the wheelchair and don't expect a scan. My DH takes her thru - he tells the CM he is putting her ticket thru and the CM triggers the machine to take it without a finger scan. Then DH puts his ticket in, scans his fingers and pushes DD's wheelchair thru the gate.

You could also try going to the Guest Service location outside the turnstiles and explain your situtation. They may be able to help you with some advice and/or a card or something that explains he can't do the scan. I'm sure you are not the first people to run into this situation, so don't worry.

I don't know what your child's level of being able to cooperate is, but you may find that he is able and willing to do it if you can watch some people using the scanners and talk about what it feels like/sounds like, etc. before he tries.

I was wondering the same thing. My DS has autism, he will be 10 when we go back to WDW next year.
Unless he changes a lot in the next year I know he won't want to or be able to use the finger scan.
We have had to use the finger scans for the last couple of visits with the 10 day adult tickets we used to buy in the UK, and he has never shown any interest in using the machine.
I really don't think there will be a problem. I thought if my DH, other DS and myself used the finger scan with no problems and just explained my DS wasn't able to use the machine they would be ok with that.

When approaching the gate I take out my ticket and hand it to the CM. No muss, no fuss. They open the gate and off we go. It is the ticket that allows you to gain entrance...not your finger.... so don't misplace it... :goodvibes

Can't you just use a hand stamp and a ticket? We have AP's at Disneyland so I don't understand there whole new policy there at WDW. I know my daughter refused to get a hand stamp when I use to sign her in and they put the hand stamp on the ticket for her and wrote a note of her appearance on the ticket. When you have a AP they don't require a hand stamp because your picture is on the AP.
I would just explain to them that he has special needs and that the scanner scares him they are very understanding.
JenJen

JenJen said:
When you have a AP they don't require a hand stamp because your picture is on the AP.
I would just explain to them that he has special needs and that the scanner scares him they are very understanding.
JenJen
AP at WDW don't have pictures, so they must be different than APs at Disneyland (they used to a long time ago, but haven't for quite a while).
WDW used to just require biometric scans (where you put your 2 fingers into the scanner) for AP. This year, they started to require the biometric scans for all multiday tickets at WDW.

Yes they still have picture AP's at Disneyland but I know what you are talkig about because at Sea World in San Diego I have a season pass and it is a Ticket. I have to put my hand in something and it lets me in.
JenJen

My DS has a broken neck so therefore has no movement to sign or use the scanner and they never asked either in DW or SW. The person pushing him used the scanner and then was allowed to take him through the turnstiles. what I am trying to say :rotfl: is that they must have consessions to allow certain disablities in without the finger scanning.

I am currently a greeter at TL. I am allowed to use my judgement to override the scan requirement in the machines. If I am seeing someone who is having a real problem and part of a group I will just hit the override key. I have done this several times where the over-nine child just can't handle the scan because I don't want to cause a meltdown.

You said "over 9". Are children under 9 not required to use the finger scan? (DS will be 4). He may not do it, but then again he may find it cool. Can children under 9 finger scan if they want?

Sorry for the weird questions today, too much coffee! :goodvibes

A child (under 9) doesn't need to scan fingers. I don't know if they can if they want, I never gave niece a chance to try and she didn't ask. THis was as of June 2005 and they were just doing away with hand stamps for returning to park.

The finger scans are only required for the "adult" tickets (so over 9). Since the "child" tickets don't require a scan, I'm not sure it would do anything if the child sticks their fingers in (Cheshire Figment, do you know? Or maybe no children even try to see what happens?)

When you put the ticket in the turnstile three possible things can happen.

1. For some reason it will not read the mag stipe and it has to be inserted again. This is often caused by holding the ticket and throwing the timing off.

2. It will be a one-day ticket or a child (age 3 to 9) ticket. In that case the green light starts flashing and the turnstile unlocks. Inserting fingers in the scanner has no effect at all.

3. It will be a multiple day adult (10+) ticket and the yellow lights will flash, there will be a message readable by the guest to insert fingers in the scanner, and the greeter will see a series of lights go on to show if the scan is correct.

Sorry to butt in - I don't have a disability but I do have a problem with my right hand in those biometric readers! My ring finger just doesn't bend properly - it's weird! :rotfl2:

After trying to explain to several CM's (and some were quite grumpy!) that were insisting that I insert "2 fingers only, ma'am" one nice gentleman finally told me that I could use either hand - whichever was comfortable for me - as long as I always used that hand each time I entered the parks! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter