Autistic Child on Disney Cruise

mrstbalt

Mouseketeer
Next May we will be taking our daughters 6 and 5(mild autism) on our first Disney Cruise Land/Sea vacation. We were at Disney last year off property and my girls did great and Disney was accomodating. Has anyone been on a cruise with an autistic child? Any insight would be wonderful thank you!

I don't have any information for you.
Just wanted to say hi :wave:
and let you know that people have posted in the past about children with autism on cruises, so no one shows up in the next few days with advice, I can help you search for information that is already on the board.

Hi! I saw that you had posted on the Cruise board right under my post from way-back-when re: ASD kids on the cruise. I would be happy to help answer any questions.

Just a little background, I am also the parent of a child with high functioning ASD/PDD-NOS. We went on a 7 day last year. My ds was 5 y.o. at the time, and it was a life changing experieince for him. His teachers were even taken back..suggesting we incorporate a cruise into his IEP/programs with Regional Center. :rotfl: He came back and was so involved, really talking and more actively participating in every area.

Again, I'd love to share our experieince, and hopefully answer any questions/provide ideas that may be of help. Just off the top...fill out the on-line form to let the folks in the Club know about your child. When you go to the Club the first time, ask for the Manager or Asst Mgr...they should have the info on file, but it really helps to talk with them about what it looks like for your child. The counselors really were quite familiar with the situation. They asked me if my son would be happy with a little computer time if it appeared that he was overwhelmed..that kind of stuff. They really got to know him. We stayed the first few times to ensure he was OK. We kept him in the 3-4 age group (even through he had just turned 5), because it was developmentally more appropriate given his language delay. We always made certain the counselors knew what his issues/triggers were each time we checked in, just in case because there were so many kids! After a while they just smiled and waved us off. We never left him for more than an hour at the start, by the end of the cruise he was there for 2 hours at a time. We even went to dinner at Palos..came back to the club and couldn't find him. A counselor quickly smiled and pointed him out..dressed up as Peter Pan at the top to the Pirate ship in the club.

There are some things that were hard...the drill, the graduation show. But we learned a lot..and each child is so different. ANyway, I am rambling. Let me know if I can help!

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter