Autistic Child and planning

sarahandgreg

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

This year in July my brother, his wife and two children are visiting me and we are doing Disney for 5 days and the Disney cruise for 4 days at the end of the holiday. The youngest child is eight and is on the Autism spectrum. I have contacted Virgin Atlantic and also WDW guest relations and also the Cruise Line - all have sent me very helpful info and tips for making the vacation as stress free and enjoyable for everyone involved.
I am really looking for anyone's experience with the following:

Arrival in Orlando - apparently we can use the Wheelchair assistance line to avoid the long customs wait - we are concerned because we dont want Luke to go into meltdown - no way he can wait for up to 2 hrs after the flight.

Ride wait times: We are to report to guest relations at each park - I believe there is a lanyard or similar they give one member of the party that will alert the ride staff to Lukes condition and possibly give us a shorter wait time - we will utilize fastpass as much as possible anyway.

Food in the parks: Luke also has some allergies and is fairly picky about food - we will bring some snacks into the park for him - stuff he is used to eating and familiar with. Can we take small coolers in for this purpose?

Cruise Line: Apparently we will meet with the chef once onboard so he can chat to Luke about what he will want to eat onboard.

Anyones input on these topics will be great - experiences either negative or positive will be helpful..

The food side of it I am sure will be fine - I think we are fairly happy if all he ate for two weeks was fries from Mcdonalds - lol. Its only a vacation - he can go back to regular diet after that. Plus it will be very hot - end July so as long as he drinks plenty of water - which he loves :-) thats all good !

Thanks in advance folks

For the park - go to guest relations your first day and ask for the DAS. It will be attached to your magic band or ticket. No need to go every day. They will take a picture of him so prepare him for that. All members of the party will need to be there to be linked to the DAS. Once you have it, go to the attraction entrance and ask for a return time. This will allow you to wait outside the line and return to go through the fast pass line. The DAS holder MUST scan his band first at the return, but anyone in the party can go to the attraction to get the return time. It does not shorten the wait time overall, but will shorten the amount of time actually in the line. Note that some of the characters do not have a return time available.

This does require extra planning so you aren't running all over the park. You can only have one return time active, but you can overlap the fast pass time. Occasionally they will give you a paper pass with a return time on it. At the time listed, just return and give it to the CM at the fast pass line.

Ride wait times: We are to report to guest relations at each park - I believe there is a lanyard or similar they give one member of the party that will alert the ride staff to Lukes condition and possibly give us a shorter wait time - we will utilize fastpass as much as possible anyway.

The first post of this thread has details of the DAS (Disability Access Service). It is not shorter wait times but getting a return time and waiting elsewhwere. Don't worry about the rest of that thread, just the first post is pertinent now. His parents should be prepared to explain his needs with regards to waiting in a standard queue environment, and not the diagnosis. If he has other needs besides the waiting, someone should speak with a CM at each attraction (slowing moving walkways, seating request at shows, etc.) as those are not part of the DAS. It is not a lanyard, the DAS will be attached to his MB as well as the MBs of the rest of the party. He will have his picture taken -- that may be something for his parents to prepare him for.

If he may need some "quieter" spots for a break, there is a list in this link: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...bilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide_rev.pdf

Many kids with autism do well using a stroller-as-wheelchair tag, which you can get at Guest Relations when requesting the DAS. It provides a "safe haven" away from stimulation.

Some other suggestions are ear muffs to block out auditory stimulation, sunglasses to cut down visual stimulation, some kids like a hoodie especially if they aren't using a stroller. Small fidget toys for electronic device helps with waiting. We try to stick to usual daily schedule -- waking, meals, bedtime. I know it's vacation with extra stuff to do, but we find it really helps to only stay out late once or twice in the week. We also plan non-park days, usually every 3rd day or so; hang at the resort, swim, visit DS or other resorts, etc. Many families like to take a mid-day break back at the resort to swim; that doesn't work for us but we do plan a mid-day meal break for downtime.

Food in the parks: Luke also has some allergies and is fairly picky about food - we will bring some snacks into the park for him - stuff he is used to eating and familiar with. Can we take small coolers in for this purpose?

I recommend noting his allergies on your ADRs. Yes, you can bring a cooler with snacks/foods. The restaurants cannot warm up any food you bring. The resort food courts do have guest-access to a microwave.

Cruise Line: Apparently we will meet with the chef once onboard so he can chat to Luke about what he will want to eat onboard.

I strongly recommend contacting DCL's Special Services department in advance. Have your (his parents') reservation noted for his allergies - this is important to be sure adequate alternative foods are onboard. You (or his parents) can also discuss any other questions about the cruise. Be aware the muster drill is loud and chaotic. I strongly recommend ear muffs for him. Have his parents take him to the Club/Lab during Open House the first afternoon to visit; they can speak with the CMs about his ability to participate. If he can do group-settings without a direct 1:1 assistance, he is welcome to attend drop-off (secured) programming at the Club/Lab. If he needs more supervision/assistance, the family can take him for Open House times which are scheduled daily.

Enjoy their visit and your vacation!

Another thought about the cruise is port stops. If the family plans to do any port adventures, or even just get off the ship to explore on your own, the food allergies may or may not be easily accommodated. It likely depends on the allergens involved as well as the dining options available. Pre-packaged/sealed non-perishable food can be taken off the ship -- granola bars, little dry cereal boxes, uncrustables, etc. Some people prefer to pack out snacks for kids with allergies rather than risk having nothing available for the child to eat.

At Castaway Cay, DCL will provide a safe meal and tell you where to pick it up on the island. As with other dinners, it can be ordered the night before.

Enjoy your vacation!

Disney has recently changed it and a child with Autism does not need to attend the whole lifeboat drill. But everyone needs to show up 10 minutes early and show everyone’s key cards. Then the child and an adult can leave. But be aware the alarms sound all over the ship and are very loud. As pp have said bring ear protection. Also be aware the elevators are not available everyone needs to take the stairs
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...s/DCL-Information-for-ASD-29-Sept-2017-v2.pdf

Last edited:

I'd recommend that the parents bring some non-perishable food that he enjoys with them on the cruise. I had the same train of thought (my son likes ice cream, chicken nuggets and fries-surely he'll be fine on a cruise), but the smell of the food was different, so he barely ate on the cruise. We had to keep requesting strawberries from restaurants and room service because that's all he would eat. This might not be a problem for your nephew and I think my son wouldn't have this issue anymore now that he's less sensitive to foods, but it's better to be overly prepared.

In terms of the DAS-have someone else in your party scan their band to get the return time for the group. The first time we used the DAS system, I didn't realize that my son could be elsewhere while the band was being scanned for our return time. Needless to say, he had a meltdown because he assumed we were walking on the ride, not getting a time to come back.

Thank you for all the info. We will be doing the Southern Caribbean on the Wonder in Jan. 2020 with my two y/o grandson who will be three then. I hadn't thought about how loud the drill would be all over the ship. We will work on that. Do you think that DCL would allow him in the Nursery for some play time on a regular schedule?

Do you think that DCL would allow him in the Nursery for some play time on a regular schedule?

I believe a 3-yr-old is the "overlap" age between the Nursery and the Club/Lab - so you can choose which to use. The Nursery does have an hourly charge. As to a "regular schedule" - you sign-up for the times you want him in the Nursery. You can pre-book a certain number of hours in advance and then request more once onboard; drop-ins are accepted if space is available. I'm not entirely sure how the nursery handles young ones with special needs, but if he is fine in a childcare environment (like daycare, church nursery, gym nursery, etc.) he'll likely be ok. I believe the Nursery does more direct care based on parent notes/requests, simply due to the nature of caring for little ones.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not sure if this is what you were asking but the nursery isn’t open during the lifeboat drill.
As lanejudy said 3 does overlap between the nursery and the club. The nursery has a charge of $9 per hour. You have to make reservations. You can do this when your booking window opens. But are limited to the amount you can book pre cruise. Sorry I’m not sure of the amount. You can book more once onboard.
Disney is happy to work with special needs kids but doesn’t offer one on one care.

Thank you all again. I think we will prebook him for some time and see how that goes. As with all children even six months at this age makes a big difference.

Question: Can you go the day or night before you plan to visit DW to get the DAS or do you have to go the day/morning of your visit?

Yes, you can go the day/night prior - assuming a couple things: 1) the child will be ok getting that close to the park without entering, and 2) the outside Guest Relations location isn't having any issue with equipment.

Enjoy your vacation!

Question: Can you go the day or night before you plan to visit DW to get the DAS or do you have to go the day/morning of your visit?
just remember if you could go before child has to be there. how will child do getting that close as in seeing the park and not go in? been there and tried wont say how it worked but lets just say I wont try again and it was not a Disney able to fix problem in that we got the pass no problem it was after that was problem

For DCL, contact DCL special services in advance: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-services-information-form/ (contact info at bottom) and https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/ they handle special dietary requests.

You likely won't speak with a chef. On DCL, special diet requests are handled through your serving team and your Head Server, who then relay them [in writing] to the kitchen. We have cruised 5 times with DCL with multiple food allergies and only once, in Cabanas on the first day, have we spoken with a chef.

There are posts on the boards about special diets and DCL, particularly those related to allergies.

Yes, you can go the day/night prior - assuming a couple things: 1) the child will be ok getting that close to the park without entering, and 2) the outside Guest Relations location isn't having any issue with equipment.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you! I have heard that you are no longer required to provide a note from the child’s doctor. Although I have a note, I am note sure if I should disclose it. Two weeks to go and I am starting to get nervous about how my son will handle everything. Thanks in advance.

Thank you! I have heard that you are no longer required to provide a note from the child’s doctor. Although I have a note, I am note sure if I should disclose it. Two weeks to go and I am starting to get nervous about how my son will handle everything. Thanks in advance.

You were never required to have a doctor's note. In fact, CMs are not allowed to read a doctor's note.

For DAS, you need to be able to explain the *needs* as it pertains to the inability to wait in line, or why waiting outside of the line would be better than waiting in the line. You do not have to provide the diagnosis at all; it is about the needs pertaining to the lines. If it is easier, you can write down the explanation and give that to the CM, but you will probably have to explain to them something along the lines of you find it easier to explain in writing so you wrote a note to them, when you hand it to them, as otherwise they may think it is a doctor's note and refuse to accept it.

SW

We used the Guest Services outside Hollywood studios for our night before visit to set up DAS. He didn’t even seem to notice he was near a park there and enjoyed the bus ride from the hotel. Our park survival supplies included a stroller with a canopy to give him a small space to hide when needed, rain cover to stay dry in rain (not sure what to do next time, he is now too tall for every canopied stroller I can find to rent), headphones to block out noise, change of clothes and shoes in case anything gets wet (he can’t tolerate wet clothes or shoes), favorite snacks and as a last resort a iPod with games and favorite movies to use during line waits. We scheduled sit down lunches at character dining to get a break from the heat, see characters without waiting in line and give him the option of just seeing them without getting close or getting up and interacting (we just explained to the cast member that we’d start with a wave across the table and follow his lead on interactions.) tons of planning but it paid off!

I'm curious - who gave you this info? It's not correct, so if they gave you other info as well, I wouldn't trust that to be correct either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter