autistic/aspergers/special card?????

DIS-NH:
I'm glad you mentioned about people getting GACs with no special needs.
My situation:
We had a GAC for DD (severe ADHD, ASD tendencies, SID). Since then she has had a full re-assessment and now has been labelled with mild ADHD and a couple aspergers tendencies (but not enough to be called aspergers). They are overwhemlmed about her growth in many areas especailly academic (actually called her a miracle girl vs. inital assessment 3 years ago) . She did pretty well in WDW last time and we used the GAC sparingly since she handled lines not too bad (with books, toys etc). A couple of times she looked tired/agitated (and the line looked very long) so we used it without trying the line first.
My thoughts for next trip is too still get a GAC but use it as an "insurance policy/just in case" type of idea. I would simply cringe at the fact of using a GAC when she doesn't qualify for it anymore. I know her behaviour will be even better this time at WDW since DH will not be with us. (DH tends to get her very excited/stimulated since he has similar issues).

Does this plan make sense to anyone else? If you knew me, you would know that I am the last person who would ever take advantage of a situation.

Suzy V.

rui girl,
I think you use the GAC as it was intended. So get one and use it as necessary. You don't qualify as an "abuser".

I agree...You're using the card as it was intended. We stand in the normal line whenever it's possible. We use the card only when the wait time will cause un-needed stress on my son.

riu girl said:
My thoughts for next trip is too still get a GAC but use it as an "insurance policy/just in case" type of idea. I would simply cringe at the fact of using a GAC when she doesn't qualify for it anymore. I know her behaviour will be even better this time at WDW since DH will not be with us. (DH tends to get her very excited/stimulated since he has similar issues).

Does this plan make sense to anyone else? If you knew me, you would know that I am the last person who would ever take advantage of a situation.

Suzy V.

It makes perfect sense to me. I get one (severe asthma aggravated by heat/direct sunlight) but don't use it unless I need to. I don't bother in the winter months, and don't use it at night. It's a nice insurance card to have in my pocket if I need it, but I don't use it for the sake of using it.

Anne

We also use the GAC as insurance. That is a reasonable thing to do. You don't always need it - when you don't or the lines are short, you don't need iy. When you need it though, it's nice to have right then.

KittenKat...
Your post was wonderful. You sound a lot like my son, and I can only hope he continues to accept his limitations and learns to anticpate, prevent, and deal with them as well as you.
He also loves fireworks and parades, but only on TV or from a distance. Too much audio / visual input combined with the sheer excitement sends him over the edge.
He is becoming more and more aware of what will set him off 'Mommy, I cant do that, I will have to cover my ears' (self stim / soothing / joint pressure)
Last time we were in WDW his only meltdown was when he saw the clock and it was 2:45 and we were near the barber shop. He dragged me out of the park in tears (him, not me) becaue the parade was coming.
Later that trip we were able to stay at MGM during parade time, but we stayed away from the parade route. He was tense since he knew the parade was happening and he could hear some of the crowd, but he held it together since we were far enough away.
I have yet to ask for a GAC. I know we could use it, but I am the type that thinks 'someone needs it more than we do, let them have it instead'

BethanyF said:
I have yet to ask for a GAC. I know we could use it, but I am the type that thinks 'someone needs it more than we do, let them have it instead'
Bethany,
I don't think there is a limit to the number of GACs issued. I think if it would make YOUR SON'S trip more magical then get it. No one gains by your not getting a GAC.
Glad to hear your son is becoming self aware and able to know how he can enjoy WDW. I know many "not challenged" individuals who haven't achieved this yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter