Autistic 3 year old twins... how do we do this?

LifeWithLouie

Mouseketeer
Looking for suggestions from folks who have knowledge about these things...

We are returning to WDW with the 3 year old twins who now (thankfully) have official autism diagnoses and are getting services -with which they have made noticeable strides (which we are so proud about). We aren't looking for free passes in line or major accommodations (we don't believe we need them). But is there a way to inform characters that these little boys love them - but from a bit of a distance? Like interacting without the hugs and closeness (more like waves and personal acknowledgment instead) without stopping the line to explain everything from the beginning each time to multiple cast members?

Maybe this asking too much. I'm not sure - but then again, if we don't ask we'll never know.

I think a lot of 3 year olds are a little shy around characters, so the characters and handlers are probably pretty used to this. Honestly, I'd just say "our boys are a little shy and prefer to stay back/get a high-five/wave/whatever," but overall, these CMs seem to be very good at taking cues from kiddos (and adults!) about how much interaction they want. Not sure which characters are the big stars in your household, but have you considered booking character dining? That might be a less stimulating/overwhelming environment than a traditional character meet-and-greet.

We are returning to WDW with the 3 year old twins who now (thankfully) have official autism diagnoses and are getting services -with which they have made noticeable strides (which we are so proud about). We aren't looking for free passes in line or major accommodations (we don't believe we need them). But is there a way to inform characters that these little boys love them - but from a bit of a distance? Like interacting without the hugs and closeness (more like waves and personal acknowledgment instead) without stopping the line to explain everything from the beginning each time to multiple cast members?

Maybe this asking too much. I'm not sure - but then again, if we don't ask we'll never know.
Yes I would just let the ( sorry drowning g a black on the official name but the handle or the person that helps the character ) just something quick like my boys really love Mickey but they are scared so can Mickey wave to them. Character are really good with kids and even kids not on the spectrum can be shy/ Intimidated By them and they go with the child’s lead on things

If there is no characters attendance ( that the name I was looking for) close by a quick hay Mickey my sons are so excited to meet you but there a little scars ( or what every you feel right) can we talk from a little bit a way ( or what every they need ) will also work

The characters are great at "reading" the situation. I suggest that when it's your turn, you speak up and say something like "hey boys, it's our turn now. Do you want to stand here near me and wave to Mickey? Or do you want to walk closer to give Mickey a high-five?" That gives the verbal clue as well as the more obvious physical one (if the kids are hiding behind your legs).

Enjoy your vacation!

We travel to WDWwith my ASD DGS each year and do a character meal each day. He stems when they approach but isn’t actually scared of them. My husband typically handles the character interactions and the characters all seem to mostly interact with my husband or me. DGS eventually comes around after the first few characters come by which is why we prefer the meals rather than the queues.

The characters seem to follow the children. AS much as we dislike the food, the Pooh characters for some reason have tended to be the least intimidating to him as a young toddler.

Hope you all have a wonderful trip, and congratulations on getting the services you need!

In my experience the characters are extremely good about reading their audience and reacting accordingly. My kids have been back and forth with their comfort level overall (2 of the 3 are also on the spectrum) and the characters have been amazing with them. Either speaking to them from afar when they appear scared or by trying to connect with them on their level. They never seem pushy about it which is awesome. They keep it light and friendly and humorous and follow the lead of the kids/family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter