Autism & Resort bus transportation

Heather_D

Earning My Ears
This will be our third trip to Disneyworld and we will be travelling with our two sons who are both autistic. We've used the DAS on our previous two trips with great success. We have always stayed on property, and we will be staying at the Art of Animation again this year.
The problem that we've run into in the past is that we have gotten stuck waiting in a long line for the bus transportation back to the hotel. Last year it was meltdown city, with yelling and crying and throwing things, etc. while we waited. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the DAS when it comes to bus transportation? If so, what would that look like?
Last time, I was tempted to try the wheelchair line, but I was pretty sure we'd get some serious stink eye from the rest of the people waiting in the if we took two kids with invisible disabilities to the wheelchair line! (Then again, we got some serious stink eye while one of my sons was melting down anyways ;) ).
Thanks!!

Ugh. That sucks. We like staying on property so that we can avoid renting a car... I was really hoping the Minnie Vans would be operational at AofA by the time we go (November), but its not looking like that will happen.
Maybe we'll try Uber? I wonder if that might work better than my kiddo trashing everything in line!!

DAS is not available for use in the bus lines. We had some similar issues with the bus lines, to the point of this time we rented a car.

yep, you can not use the DAS for busses. one thing beside uber. is try not to go at a busy time like park closing staying inside and just taking things in for a but while the park clears out, is a big help. if you can have one person wait in line and the other waiting close by with your boys and join when you get on the bus.

Yep Uber or taxi is your best non-rental car option during peak bus times. Waiting for the buses is quite unmagical and a daunting prospect during busy times. Hope you're able to find a solution that works for your kids!

This will be our third trip to Disneyworld and we will be travelling with our two sons who are both autistic. We've used the DAS on our previous two trips with great success. We have always stayed on property, and we will be staying at the Art of Animation again this year.
The problem that we've run into in the past is that we have gotten stuck waiting in a long line for the bus transportation back to the hotel. Last year it was meltdown city, with yelling and crying and throwing things, etc. while we waited. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the DAS when it comes to bus transportation? If so, what would that look like?
Last time, I was tempted to try the wheelchair line, but I was pretty sure we'd get some serious stink eye from the rest of the people waiting in the if we took two kids with invisible disabilities to the wheelchair line! (Then again, we got some serious stink eye while one of my sons was melting down anyways ;) ).
Thanks!!

Since the wheelchair line is for people who need to use the ramp to get their vehicle onto the bus, I'm glad you did not try to use it.

Ugh. That sucks. We like staying on property so that we can avoid renting a car... I was really hoping the Minnie Vans would be operational at AofA by the time we go (November), but its not looking like that will happen.
Maybe we'll try Uber? I wonder if that might work better than my kiddo trashing everything in line!!

What do your sons' teachers suggest you do for waiting? If there aren't any goals set for learning to wait in their IEPs, perhaps have some added, then see what strategies they use and try them at home before your trip. It's not safe for anyone to have a person 'trashing everything in line'.

Another couple thoughts...

You don't say how old your sons are. Are they small enough to wait in a stroller? The stroller would give them a buffer zone while waiting in the bus lines.

Also, do you use electronics at all? My DD carried her iPod touch with her and would use it to occupy herself when we had longer waits.

if I am right Uber only can pick up at TTC not bus lines at MK so you will need to get in line for either ferry or monorail to get to your Uber ride

I agree with all who said to take a cab or Uber. We have done this many times and it's worth every penny ($10 maybe plus tip?)

I really don't have any advice to give, other than I really hope your young men are more patient this time! :)

I'm Autistic too and, believe me, I was super-duper grouchy when I had to stand and wait for the school buses home when I was in sixth grade. I even threatened to walk. :sad2:
Teacher: "You can't walk!"
Me: "Why?"
Teacher: "It's against the rules!"

Sorry...just wanted to send my well wishes.

With my son, and my non-autistic but not very patient husband, the best strategy for park closing is not to try to beat the crowds, but to be one of those families that they are shooing out of the parks. Generally we're on the bus that's idling, waiting for stragglers. This doesn't work for bad lines not at closing, but we'll sometimes abort mission and hop on another bus in that instance.

Agree with the guys staying in the parks is good until the crowds thins out.

Also getting a car is helpful :car:as I've found that apart from MK and especially in AK it's easier and quicker if you just walk to the car than wait for any transport. (Although DS was in a stroller so made the walk easier).

With MK one time we got the resort Monorail and walked from the poly back to the car park which was a little less busy.

Also not sure how far you are with you planning or what budget you're looking at, but stay in the boardwalk area takes a bit of stress out of the bus situation as you can just walk to Epcot and HS. (Well I say that, but I've never walked it in the middle of summer :bitelip:)

Although hopefully with all the new transport options, Minnie Vans and once they've completed the skyway gondolas this might make a few of the bus queues a bit more manageable.

But as a mummy of an autistic child who has real problems with queuing just wanna sent some good vibes :goodvibes and support and I hope you all have a fantastic Holibobs :thumbsup2

if you can have one person wait in line and the other waiting close by with your boys and join when you get on the bus.
So how does one do that, without the appearance of line-jumping?

also...
Since the wheelchair line is for people who need to use the ramp to get their vehicle onto the bus, I'm glad you did not try to use it.
What do your sons' teachers suggest you do for waiting? If there aren't any goals set for learning to wait in their IEPs, perhaps have some added, then see what strategies they use and try them at home before your trip. It's not safe for anyone to have a person 'trashing everything in line'.

Very true! How are they going to manage the line for security, the line at Guest Services, the lines for all food and M&G's AND bathrooms? And the crowds pressing in at parades and fireworks? Also any other line that might pop up and form ... resort guest services desk, etc.

So how does one do that, without the appearance of line-jumping?

also...

Very true! How are they going to manage the line for security, the line at Guest Services, the lines for all food and M&G's AND bathrooms? And the crowds pressing in at parades and fireworks? Also any other line that might pop up and form ... resort guest services desk, etc.

Depending on the bus sometimes it is not going back and forth ( and I have seen people do this with it going back and forth, but not as many) and one parent can wait while the other parents and kids go some here close ( I see parents do this just about every time I am down there.) no one said a word when they came over, but they were all there together, and the parent did not go far away and could yell/ talk loudly to the other person standing in line.

if I am right Uber only can pick up at TTC not bus lines at MK so you will need to get in line for either ferry or monorail to get to your Uber ride

A better choice might be to walk to the Contemporary and catch uber from there. I only WISH I had thought of this when we got stuck in a 2 hour way for boat on 4th of July!

Depending on the bus sometimes it is not going back and forth ( and I have seen people do this with it going back and forth, but not as many) and one parent can wait while the other parents and kids go some here close ( I see parents do this just about every time I am down there.) no one said a word when they came over, but they were all there together, and the parent did not go far away and could yell/ talk loudly to the other person standing in line.

I do not recommend doing this on the nights at MK where they have multiple CMs directing the flow of guests. We saw them stop people from joining the line from the side, directing them to go to the back of the line. Of course, it's best to avoid this time of night anyways.

I was thinking you could have one parent mention to the people in front and behind on the bus queue that your family will be joining because they cannot manage. If there are Cast Members there, speak to them as well.

As an alternative, I'd agree with the taxi or Minnie van options.

Good luck.

I was thinking you could have one parent mention to the people in front and behind on the bus queue that your family will be joining because they cannot manage. If there are Cast Members there, speak to them as well.

As an alternative, I'd agree with the taxi or Minnie van options.

Good luck.
The people I saw do this did just this they told the people behind them ( I was one more behind) and the CM that was there directing people this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter