Autism lawsuits to continue on appeal

For sure. I remember an article that came out when Cars Land in DLR opened saying the number of GAC users was an astronomical number....
I don't think anyone can know that without Disney's numbers. I really can't imagine paying attention to other guests enough to come up with any kind of theory like this.
This is the article I think you were thinking of. It talks about how large numbers of Fastpass ‘slots’ at Disneyland Racers were being used by guests using GAC. Many were getting off and going right back into the Fastpass line.
(Scroll down to the LINE KING story.
http://micechat.com/miceage/allutz/al091812a.htm
Around the Time GAC (Guest Assistance Card) was changing to DAS (Disability Access Service, the current program), there were a lot of blog posts and things on Facebook pages from people with disabilities about how they regularly used GAC to ride over and - often attractions which were very popular and had long waits.
Many of them were Disneyland Annual Pass holders with disabled children who wrote they went to Disneyland several times a week, rode the headliners several times and then went home.
One that really stuck with me was someone who wrote their ‘usual’ trip to Disneyland during the Christmas holidays - including Christmas Day - was to go to the park in the morning, use GAC to ride all the headliners, watch the parade using the handicapped area, then leave.
Many of those posts were deleted, can no longer be found or the pages were made private.
I also read all of the statements in the lawsuit complaint; they are all pretty similar to the testimony that was posted earlier in the thread. Many talk about ‘needing’ to ride things in a specific order and repeating the same attraction multiple times in a row.
The disabled people in the lawsuit are mostly Autistic, so they were definitely disabled people overusing GAC.

I have a question that I honestly don't know the answer to. Reading through this thread I noticed some people mentioning that the use of DAS combined with FP+ provides them with a good park experience. Am I misunderstanding how the system works or doesn't this already give guests with DAS an advantage over most park guests? It sounds like Disney is going above & beyond for those who qualify for DAS, because they are offering more than equal ride access for those guests. Am I missing something?

FWIW, I have no problem with people using both systems simultaneously. I may have to get a DAS on a future trip myself & had no idea it was possible to use both. In my case, it would make very little to no difference for other park guests. Due to my health issues, I can't ride a large majority of the most popular rides anyway.

I have a question that I honestly don't know the answer to. Reading through this thread I noticed some people mentioning that the use of DAS combined with FP+ provides them with a good park experience. Am I misunderstanding how the system works or doesn't this already give guests with DAS an advantage over most park guests? It sounds like Disney is going above & beyond for those who qualify for DAS, because they are offering more than equal ride access for those guests. Am I missing something?

FWIW, I have no problem with people using both systems simultaneously. I may have to get a DAS on a future trip myself & had no idea it was possible to use both. In my case, it would make very little to no difference for other park guests. Due to my health issues, I can't ride a large majority of the most popular rides anyway.

I guess it depends on your perspective.

We both schedule our FP+ and head into the park. You head into line for Space Mountain for standby, and I grab a DAS return time for Space Mountain for standby -10 minutes. We are for the most part waiting the same amount of time for Space, so that part isn't really advantageous.

Where people seem to find the DAS is a higher benefit is that while you are waiting in standby, I can go and ride Buzz Lightyear or eat at Cosmic Rays. When I'm done, I jump into the FP line and we end up riding at the same time (not really, but you get it). So, I can technically multi-task while you're standing in line.

Obviously, there are so many other individual factors that go into this scenario and I'm completely oversimplifying it for a lot of people that use the DAS - but it's a quick sum up of why people feel it's an advantage. I personally don't think it makes that much of a difference when we both end our days and look back on what we did and timelines. The only time I could see it being an added benefit is crazy headliner rides that have insane wait times, but at the same time, while the DAS has a return time for something like that it cannot be used elsewhere.

I guess it depends on your perspective.

We both schedule our FP+ and head into the park. You head into line for Space Mountain for standby, and I grab a DAS return time for Space Mountain for standby -10 minutes. We are for the most part waiting the same amount of time for Space, so that part isn't really advantageous.

Where people seem to find the DAS is a higher benefit is that while you are waiting in standby, I can go and ride Buzz Lightyear or eat at Cosmic Rays. When I'm done, I jump into the FP line and we end up riding at the same time (not really, but you get it). So, I can technically multi-task while you're standing in line.

Obviously, there are so many other individual factors that go into this scenario and I'm completely oversimplifying it for a lot of people that use the DAS - but it's a quick sum up of why people feel it's an advantage. I personally don't think it makes that much of a difference when we both end our days and look back on what we did and timelines. The only time I could see it being an added benefit is crazy headliner rides that have insane wait times, but at the same time, while the DAS has a return time for something like that it cannot be used elsewhere.
Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more along the lines of getting a FP+ for FOP (for example), then getting a DAS to ride again. That would be a major advantage, but maybe that's not possible.

PS: That wouldn't make a difference for me, because I can't ride FOP anyway. We could possibly benefit from the scenario you mentioned, but there wouldn't be much running around. I'd be using the DAS to rest my back & knees between rides & avoid steps, if that is a disability that qualifies. If not, no Disney for me anymore.

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more along the lines of getting a FP+ for FOP (for example), then getting a DAS to ride again. That would be a major advantage, but maybe that's not possible.

PS: That wouldn't make a difference for me, because I can't ride FOP anyway. We could possibly benefit from the scenario you mentioned, but there wouldn't be much running around. I'd be using the DAS to rest my back & knees between rides & avoid steps, if that is a disability that qualifies. If not, no Disney for me anymore.

That is a possibility. I can get a DAS return time in the morning and ride with a FP+ at 12p, then use the DAS return time when the wait is up. The DAS and FP+ aren't necessarily connected in that way.

It sounds like if resting your back and knees is the main concern Disney would recommend renting a wheelchair or EVC versus offering a DAS. Typically mobility/stamina/etc does not qualify for a DAS.

That is a possibility. I can get a DAS return time in the morning and ride with a FP+ at 12p, then use the DAS return time when the wait is up. The DAS and FP+ aren't necessarily connected in that way.

It sounds like if resting your back and knees is the main concern Disney would recommend renting a wheelchair or EVC versus offering a DAS. Typically mobility/stamina/etc does not qualify for a DAS.
Yeah, that's an advantage that most people should be happy with & not expect more.

I would definitely need to get an answer on the DAS, before booking a trip. I use a cane, but won't give in to use a wheelchair or ECV until I absolutely have to. Plus, sitting all day kills my back too. Just as autism isn't the same for everyone, physical handicaps aren't either. If it's not possible, to do Disney without a wheelchair or ECV, I'll survive. When we want a theme park fix, we can just go to Universal & stay in one of their deluxe hotels.

Yeah, that's an advantage that most people should be happy with & not expect more.

I would definitely need to get an answer on the DAS, before booking a trip. I use a cane, but won't give in to use a wheelchair or ECV until I absolutely have to. Plus, sitting all day kills my back too. Just as autism isn't the same for everyone, physical handicaps aren't either. If it's not possible, to do Disney without a wheelchair or ECV, I'll survive. When we want a theme park fix, we can just go to Universal & stay in one of their deluxe hotels.

Unfortunately, you will not get an answer until you are in the park. When people need an answer before going I just refer them to the DAS FAQ.

Wheelchairs and EVCs do not have to be in use the whole time if it's helpful for you to be mobile off and on. You could also, absolutely, bring your cane.

Unfortunately, you will not get an answer until you are in the park. When people need an answer before going I just refer them to the DAS FAQ.

Wheelchairs and EVCs do not have to be in use the whole time if it's helpful for you to be mobile off and on. You could also, absolutely, bring your cane.
Have you seen the looks & behind the back remarks people get, when they alternate between using a wheelchair or ECV & walking? :scared1: In all seriousness, that wouldn't be the reason I wouldn't get one, but it is a consideration.
Thanks again for answering my question & for all the info you've provided. :thanks:

Have you seen the looks & behind the back remarks people get, when they alternate between using a wheelchair or ECV & walking? :scared1: In all seriousness, that wouldn't be the reason I wouldn't get one, but it is a consideration.
Thanks again for answering my question & for all the info you've provided. :thanks:

I have not. I don't really pay attention to other people on vacation (aside from polite awareness), but I also have pretty gnarly RBF - I'm sure that doesn't help!

Sorry to quote the same post twice, but as I was telling my DH this info it struck me as funny. It's so generous of Disney to charge me for a wheelchair or ECV that I don't require, because my disability doesn't fit their definition of someone who needs a DAS. :p Honestly, I wouldn't want one, if it was free. The thought that I would have to pay extra to enjoy the parks, when we're posting on a disability thread about people expecting to ride a ride multiple times, with no wait, did make me laugh. :laughing:

I have not. I don't really pay attention to other people on vacation (aside from polite awareness), but I also have pretty gnarly RBF - I'm sure that doesn't help!
Back in the older days of the DIS threads discussing that topic would get downright nasty. Sadly, I've also seen it in the parks.

you could do what you say but the DAS would be for stand by time -10 minutes not as soon as they get off. some people make the mad rush at rope drop and then have a FP for later in the day to get 2 rides so it is possible for everyone. you can only have one return time at a time. not sure how a DAS is going to help you as there are fewer places to rest as less benches which are usually in use. I would plan on bringing my own resting spot a rollator, wheelchair or ECV as DAS only gets you a return time to the FP line.

While Disney is required to accommodate disabilities, they are not required to provide a guest's preferred accommodation. Since the majority of lines are wheelchair/ECV accessible and the very few that aren't give a return time for mobility device users, that's considered the accommodation for mobility and stamina issues. I fully understand your concerns, as I have back, hip, and knee issues myself, and sometimes have to use a cane but am still young and not ready to use an ECV/wheelchair either. I do know that day will eventually come though.

Something to keep in mind (and what I try to tell myself to prepare for my future need for a device) is it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Disney is far more walking than most people do at home and there's nothing wrong with using a tool to help keep you out of pain. You don't have to sit in it all day. You can park it in each land with the ECV/wheelchair parking and walk around when you're able. In regards to people giving dirty looks, well some people are just going to be jerks and there's nothing you can do to change that. The vast majority of people though are likely to be too consumed with staring at their phone or spending time with their own family to think twice about whether someone gets out of a mobility device and walks for a bit.

I also understand why Disney does not offer a DAS for these issues. A DAS can involve more walking since you have to walk to the attraction to get the return time, then walk somewhere else to wait, then walk back again to enter the FP line. There may not be anywhere to sit as oftentimes the few benches are occupied and they sometimes don't allow you to sit at the quick service if you are not buying food. As a regular park goer, I'm sure you're familiar with the limited seating, but many others aren't. I could easily see the frustration some people would have with walking to get a return time to find there's no where to sit and then complaining that while Disney allowed them not to stand in line, they provided nowhere for them to sit outside the line. Since guest's tend to do far more walking around the parks (outside of the lines), and to the buses, standing in line for the buses, etc, none of which the DAS can accommodate, it makes sense that they recommend those who will have difficulty standing/walking in the queues to get a wheelchair/ECV as that really is the only way to guarantee you'll have a place to sit when you need it.

Also, there are unfortunately numerous people who have difficulty walking the parks everyday of a vacation for a multitude of reasons. People with back, knee, hip, or ankle injuries, joint replacements, plantar fasciitis, arthritis, osteoporosis, and so, so many other medical issues that affect mobility and stamina. People who may not require the use of a mobility device at home, but find that Disney requires far more walking than what they are used to or can handle.

If DAS were given out to all of these people, FP lines would undoubtedly end up being packed with people with DAS return times, making the lines even longer, as it was with GAC. Those using the DAS would be upset because the FP line is now 30 or 45 mins instead of the 10 that it is now, which would make it more difficult or impossible for many disabled folks to even wait in that line. The standby waits would also increase since more people are in the FP lines, which in turn would leave more people with requesting DAS accommodation because while they can manage what the lines are now, they may not be able to manage if the lines become significantly longer. It's just not really a sustainable accommodation from a park operations standpoint to provide DAS for mobility and stamina issues.

Sorry to quote the same post twice, but as I was telling my DH this info it struck me as funny. It's so generous of Disney to charge me for a wheelchair or ECV that I don't require, because my disability doesn't fit their definition of someone who needs a DAS. :p Honestly, I wouldn't want one, if it was free. The thought that I would have to pay extra to enjoy the parks, when we're posting on a disability thread about people expecting to ride a ride multiple times, with no wait, did make me laugh. :laughing:
In that case, most of us recommend a rollator. If provides suppor while walking or standing, and a seat when necessary.

Techinically yes but many of us that have a child that use DAS don't stay in the parks long so it's not really a huge advantage. I'd gladly give up DAS to have a kid that could be out and about longer than 3-4 hours at a time. We still have to wait so it's not something we use on headliners because we just won't be in the parks long enough use it. Hope that makes sense.

you could do what you say but the DAS would be for stand by time -10 minutes not as soon as they get off. some people make the mad rush at rope drop and then have a FP for later in the day to get 2 rides so it is possible for everyone. you can only have one return time at a time. not sure how a DAS is going to help you as there are fewer places to rest as less benches which are usually in use. I would plan on bringing my own resting spot a rollator, wheelchair or ECV as DAS only gets you a return time to the FP line.

If that's the case, I have no problem with that. I don't expect to skip the lines. I just can't stand for a long period of time or climb stairs. Sadly, our mad rush at rope drop days are long gone. I'd be trampled as I hobble along. We have to hang back to avoid the rush.

While Disney is required to accommodate disabilities, they are not required to provide a guest's preferred accommodation. Since the majority of lines are wheelchair/ECV accessible and the very few that aren't give a return time for mobility device users, that's considered the accommodation for mobility and stamina issues. I fully understand your concerns, as I have back, hip, and knee issues myself, and sometimes have to use a cane but am still young and not ready to use an ECV/wheelchair either. I do know that day will eventually come though.

What made you think I thought they are required to accommodate me? I've already said that I don't have to go to Disney & won't, if my situation can't be accommodated in a manner that works for me. There are many vacation options. It's really not a big deal to me. Until this evening, I never thought about this situation. I do think it's wrong that physical disabilities can require you to pay extra, when other disabilities don't.

I don't know how young you are, but I was diagnosed with my autoimmune diseases at 27. Naturally, they've gotten worse through the years & caused a lot of damage to my body. I'm sorry you're dealing with it too. If you ever want someone to commiserate with, please feel free to PM me.

Something to keep in mind (and what I try to tell myself to prepare for my future need for a device) is it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Disney is far more walking than most people do at home and there's nothing wrong with using a tool to help keep you out of pain. You don't have to sit in it all day. You can park it in each land with the ECV/wheelchair parking and walk around when you're able. In regards to people giving dirty looks, well some people are just going to be jerks and there's nothing you can do to change that. The vast majority of people though are likely to be too consumed with staring at their phone or spending time with their own family to think twice about whether someone gets out of a mobility device and walks for a bit.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm simply not ready for that. I see no reason to use a wheelchair or ECV, when I can walk. Yes, I walk slowly & can't walk or stand for a long period of time, but I can walk. I can't climb stairs, but can walk a ramp or flat surface. I'm grateful for that.

I also understand why Disney does not offer a DAS for these issues. A DAS can involve more walking since you have to walk to the attraction to get the return time, then walk somewhere else to wait, then walk back again to enter the FP line. There may not be anywhere to sit as oftentimes the few benches are occupied and they sometimes don't allow you to sit at the quick service if you are not buying food. As a regular park goer, I'm sure you're familiar with the limited seating, but many others aren't. I could easily see the frustration some people would have with walking to get a return time to find there's no where to sit and then complaining that while Disney allowed them not to stand in line, they provided nowhere for them to sit outside the line. Since guest's tend to do far more walking around the parks (outside of the lines), and to the buses, standing in line for the buses, etc, none of which the DAS can accommodate, it makes sense that they recommend those who will have difficulty standing/walking in the queues to get a wheelchair/ECV as that really is the only way to guarantee you'll have a place to sit when you need it.

Couldn't my DH or DS walk to the attraction to get a return time for the 3 of us similar to the old fastpasses? We've never had a problem finding an out of the way place to sit & would have no problem buying drinks & a snack to have a place to sit. I'd rather throw the snacks away than have to leave the park, because the pain makes it impossible to stay any longer.

Also, there are unfortunately numerous people who have difficulty walking the parks everyday of a vacation for a multitude of reasons. People with back, knee, hip, or ankle injuries, joint replacements, plantar fasciitis, arthritis, osteoporosis, and so, so many other medical issues that affect mobility and stamina. People who may not require the use of a mobility device at home, but find that Disney requires far more walking than what they are used to or can handle.

If DAS were given out to all of these people, FP lines would undoubtedly end up being packed with people with DAS return times, making the lines even longer, as it was with GAC. Those using the DAS would be upset because the FP line is now 30 or 45 mins instead of the 10 that it is now, which would make it more difficult or impossible for many disabled folks to even wait in that line. The standby waits would also increase since more people are in the FP lines, which in turn would leave more people with requesting DAS accommodation because while they can manage what the lines are now, they may not be able to manage if the lines become significantly longer. It's just not really a sustainable accommodation from a park operations standpoint to provide DAS for mobility and stamina issues.

If that's the case, they need to stop calling it Disability Access Service. That's a misnomer. It doesn't include physically disabilities at all. Some people who are physically disabled don't require a wheelchair or ECV.

*Replies in red.

In that case, most of us recommend a rollator. If provides suppor while walking or standing, and a seat when necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Techinically yes but many of us that have a child that use DAS don't stay in the parks long so it's not really a huge advantage. I'd gladly give up DAS to have a kid that could be out and about longer than 3-4 hours at a time. We still have to wait so it's not something we use on headliners because we just won't be in the parks long enough use it. Hope that makes sense.

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't questioning people being able to simultaneously use FP+ & DAS. I think it's great that people have a workable solution. I just think the plaintiffs in this case are asking for too much. FWIW, I understand not being able to spend more than 3-4 hours in the parks. I'm in the same position & it stinks.

Last edited:
If that's the case, they need to stop calling it Disability Access Service. That's a misnomer. It doesn't include physically disabilities at all. Some people who are physically disabled don't require a wheelchair or ECV.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to quote your responses that were within my reply, but I do want to reply to them all. I wasn't in any way trying to insinuate that you thought they were required to accommodate you in a specific way, so sorry if it read like that. :flower3:

I injured my hip at 17 and, despite surgeries, have had issues with my strength, range of motion, and overall mobility since. I'm 30 now, and have osteoarthritis in my hips, knees, and SI joints, along with some other issues all stemming from that initial injury 13 years ago. It really sucks to have a disability and I'm sorry that you're going through it too. My door is open as well if you ever want to talk. It sounds like we are in a similar boat with our physical capabilities. I can sort of do stairs if I have to, but I can only step up (still painfully) with my right leg and then have to pull the left up after. Both of my kids as toddlers tried to "teach me" to walk up stairs by alternating legs and I'll admit it made me cry both times. I too am grateful though that I still have some mobility.

Back to the topic though, yes, with a DAS you can have a "runner" from your party get the return times. I know there are some families who do that and others who can't because they are travelling alone or only with young kids. I think it is possible for someone to use the DAS and not have to walk more, but it can vary. The bench nearby you were planning on waiting at might be occupied, the bathroom or nearest quick service might be a little ways away, etc. On my last trip, I almost never saw an unoccupied bench, and did see CMs trying to keep people from loitering too long at the QS tables. I found ways to sit when needed on planters or by hitting up a show, or a couple times sitting on the curb (and thankfully DH was there to help me back up) etc, but my overall point was simply that Disney can't guarantee a place to sit for people throughout the parks who need it.

I agree that calling it Disability Access Service is confusing when it really is only meant to accommodate disabilities that are affected by specifically waiting in a queue environment, and even then it only applies to the ride queues. There are lots of disabilities that someone would not need a DAS for (those in a wheelchair, someone who is deaf, someone with an amputated arm, etc), but by having "disability" in the name, it makes it sound like they would. I kind of wish they would change the name as I've encountered lots of posts on here and other places where people are upset when they get to Disney and find that the DAS didn't keep them from waiting in line for the buses or at a QS. Or others who think they have to get a DAS to use their wheelchair since they are disabled and the DAS says Disability in the name. It's not so much about just having a disability in and of itself but rather the issues a disability causes that makes waiting in the ride queue impossible and which can't be accommodated in any other way except spending the majority of the wait outside of the ride queue.

@LongLiveRafiki I don't understand how DAS would be ok for someone with a mental disability who can't wait in lines but not ok for someone with a physical disability who can't wait in lines? Is the only reason because they could use a wheelchair/ecv?

We go to Disney maybe 3-4 times a month and never had a problem finding a place to sit when child swapping. I've never been told to get up from a QS table. I think that would be a whole nother legal battle if they told a disabled person they have sat to long at a QS table and they have to leave.

@HarleenQ let's say it's 11am space mountain has an hour wait. You have a fast pass for tomorrow land speed say for 11am. You get DAS for SM, use your FP for speedway, and ride people mover since you still have time before you can ride SM. I just ride stand by on SM with a FP for Speedway at 12pm. You would have rode SM,Speedway, people mover, and have 20 min to spare and I would have just rode SM and speedway.

I get not everyone uses DAS to this extent but to say looking back at even your timeline I don't understand your thinking. Where there is no advantage.

I'm not against DAS just trying to understand both of your points of view.

@LongLiveRafiki I don't understand how DAS would be ok for someone with a mental disability who can't wait in lines but not ok for someone with a physical disability who can't wait in lines? Is the only reason because they could use a wheelchair/ecv?
A mobility device is the solution for physical disabilities, whereas a comparable solution for cognitive disabilities doesn't really exist.
We go to Disney maybe 3-4 times a month and never had a problem finding a place to sit when child swapping. I've never been told to get up from a QS table. I think that would be a whole nother legal battle if they told a disabled person they have sat to long at a QS table and they have to leave.
No legal battle when non-disabled persons are also being lrevented from lingering too long.

I don't understand how DAS would be ok for someone with a mental disability who can't wait in lines but not ok for someone with a physical disability who can't wait in lines? Is the only reason because they could use a wheelchair/ecv?

Essentially, yes. For someone whose disability is just mobility related, a wheelchair/ECV/rollator gives them equal access. For those with other (or additional) disabilities, a mobility device doesn't give them equal access, so they need another method (which, in this case, is the DAS).

let's say it's 11am space mountain has an hour wait. You have a fast pass for tomorrow land speed say for 11am. You get DAS for SM, use your FP for speedway, and ride people mover since you still have time before you can ride SM. I just ride stand by on SM with a FP for Speedway at 12pm. You would have rode SM,Speedway, people mover, and have 20 min to spare and I would have just rode SM and speedway.

I get not everyone uses DAS to this extent but to say looking back at even your timeline I don't understand your thinking. Where there is no advantage.

I'm not against DAS just trying to understand both of your points of view.

Yes, in some cases, some people can use the DAS in such a way that they can fit in more rides than those not using the DAS. Since everyone tours differently (and the same person may tour differently on different days), hard to really know how much of an advantage a DAS really gives. Definitely less than the old system which (at least near the end) was essentially a blank fast pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter