Aulani trip planning anxiety vent...

AlwaysEeyore

Always Gloomy . . . except in "The World"
I am so annoyed with myself! Booked our flights from NY for this August on Tuesday, I get the Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard in the mail yesterday that I didn't think I was approved for and it offers a 50% companion fare and a free checked bag if you book with the card.Would have saved us $700. Then I book Paradise Cove Luau on Wednesday, searched for discounts and coupons, found one and got $18 off. Then yesterday I find the 25% off coupon on the entertainment app. Would have saved us $91. Not off to a good start booking things at all!! I'm paranoid to book anything else at this point.

Went to Aulani last July...still dream of it. We are not planning a return soon, however I know I will return. In the meantime, I returned from work to find my kids (22,18 and 15) binge watching "Hawaii Five-O" on netfix. It is not a show on our radar normally. They show it on the Hawaiian Airline plane which I briefly checked it out over my 10 +hour trip, however after being to Oahu, we spent every episode (we watched a bunch of them) all sitting around saying...we were there, remember that, oh I miss that, we have to go to that next time...how did we miss that?

Anyway for those who are nostalgic...watch a few episodes. I really want to go back soon!!!

I am so annoyed with myself! Booked our flights from NY for this August on Tuesday, I get the Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard in the mail yesterday that I didn't think I was approved for and it offers a 50% companion fare and a free checked bag if you book with the card.Would have saved us $700. Then I book Paradise Cove Luau on Wednesday, searched for discounts and coupons, found one and got $18 off. Then yesterday I find the 25% off coupon on the entertainment app. Would have saved us $91. Not off to a good start booking things at all!! I'm paranoid to book anything else at this point.

Don't knock yourself...you need to charge $1,000 bucks in three months to get your big point reward and good luck trying to find a companion ticket after you have used the points for a ticket. I am not saying I didn't save money with the card, but not what I thought I would get!! The checked bag was fine, but remember that is just one (I got a seperate card for both my husband and I which helped, but still...not as good as you think!)

As for booking- anything at Aulani book right away!!! Those ressies disappear by crazy disney people who plan (yes us!) however I found excursions on the island are more relaxed. I ended up with the go-oahu card and really took advantage of the savings at the Polynesian Cultural Center and Kualoa ranch which my teens really loved. I booked everything myself. For a family of 5 excursions were very pricey, so that saved me a fortune...but...as I said I traveled with teens who wanted to surf most of the time (no waves at Aulani btw).

Went to Aulani last July...still dream of it. We are not planning a return soon, however I know I will return. In the meantime, I returned from work to find my kids (22,18 and 15) binge watching "Hawaii Five-O" on netfix. It is not a show on our radar normally. They show it on the Hawaiian Airline plane which I briefly checked it out over my 10 +hour trip, however after being to Oahu, we spent every episode (we watched a bunch of them) all sitting around saying...we were there, remember that, oh I miss that, we have to go to that next time...how did we miss that?

Anyway for those who are nostalgic...watch a few episodes. I really want to go back soon!!!
Ok I love/hate this post!!!

Love that I can go and reminisce about Oahu with a cool show.....:drinking:
And I Hate!! Because now I will binge watch :headache:and obsessively think about my next Aulani trip. Possible summer 2020:cloud9:
Kerri

Some airlines will credit you if they have a lower fare. Not sure about Hawaiian but worth a call. If a no go, I’d chalk it up to at least you have airfare out of the way. Some things are crazy expensive and you can easily have just as nice a vacation without them. Perhaps save by cooking a few meals instead of expensive dinners out or walk next door and see the turtles in the bay instead of an expensive snorkel excursion. My biggest splurge was treating everyone in the family to the spa and massages on last day and then the buffet dinner. Could easily have left off the buffet dinner and eaten some chicken strips by the pool or done monkey pod happy hr across the street instead and saved a ton on dinner. A few minor cutbacks and the $ lost on airfare can easily be forgotten.

What is the best and cheapest way to book flights let Aulani do it or yourself?

Definitely yourself. It will give you more flexibility on which airline you choose, which times you choose, prices, etc. Plus if you have an issue, there's no middle man.

Some airlines will credit you if they have a lower fare. Not sure about Hawaiian but worth a call. If a no go, I’d chalk it up to at least you have airfare out of the way. Some things are crazy expensive and you can easily have just as nice a vacation without them. Perhaps save by cooking a few meals instead of expensive dinners out or walk next door and see the turtles in the bay instead of an expensive snorkel excursion. My biggest splurge was treating everyone in the family to the spa and massages on last day and then the buffet dinner. Could easily have left off the buffet dinner and eaten some chicken strips by the pool or done monkey pod happy hr across the street instead and saved a ton on dinner. A few minor cutbacks and the $ lost on airfare can easily be forgotten.

Check with Hawaiian Airlines. I asked them because Alaska Airlines gives credit (not a refund) if you find a lower fare later. Hawaiian said they will issue a credit voucher but they charge a fee for it. But it might be worth looking into if it's a big enough difference and you plan to travel with them again to use the voucher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter