Aulani or Disneyland First?

Aulani or Disneyland first??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevevm

Mouseketeer
We are planning on going to Aulani and Disneyland in the summer of 2020.

We live near the east coast.

We are trying to decide to which to go to first.

Do we fly to California and do Disneyland.for 6 nights then fly to Hawaii and do Aulani for 6 nights?

Or fly to Hawaii then do Disneyland on our way back?

Flights both ways are about the same cost.

Originally, we were thinking Hawaii first, now maybe California first.

We started thinking about adjusting to the time change.

We would love to hear everyone’s thoughts...pros and cons

Thanks

We are going next month on the way back home. We are going to Hawaii first because we are super anxious and have never been. It will be much easier get on a plane to leave if we are stopping by Disneyland on the way back.

Although research shows that the jet lag going east is worse than going west, we have found ourselves much more affected going TO Hawaii than coming home. Maybe it's just because we're depressed when we come home, so we're distracted. lol. Seriously, though, if I am doing a 2-part vacay, where one part is busy and one is relaxing, I prefer to do the relaxing part second--just my preference. And Aulani is very relaxing, IMO.

I would do Disneyland first, then Aulani, for,the reasons cited above. Activity, then relaxation...and time adjustment.

This is similar to my cruise strategy. My second DCL cruise was before a trip to WDW. I needed another cruise after days of walking around WDW. Even though Disneyland is smaller, there is still a ton of walking, getting up early for rope drop/Magic Morning if that's your thing, etc. A cruise, or in this case relaxing at the pool at the Aulani, will feel that much better.

Add me to the group suggesting relaxation after the whirlwind of the theme parks. It's the same reason why we do WDW before a cruise. Run yourself crazy and then rest, relax, and rejuvenate before going home.

We did Disneyland last week and logged 30,000 steps a day, and we didn't even go too crazy or stay until park closing. I definitely needed a few days to rest and recover.

I advise Hawaii first, then Disneyland, then home. Unless you enjoy red-eye overnight flights. You can't get from Hawaii back to the East Coast with daytime flights. If you want daytime or evening (not overnight) you'd have to stop somewhere in the western US, stay a night in a hotel, then fly the next morning or day.
So you might as well take several days at Disneyland as your stopover, and get a daytime flight Hawaii-California and another daytime flight California-East Coast.

Normally I’d say park first then relax, but like @jodybird511 it would seriously be easier to leave Aulani with Disneyland to look forward to!! Leaving Hawaii was brutal :(. I thought about stapling my resume to the door at the observatory on Haleakala!!

I would do Disneyland first and Aulani second. Aulani is a bunch of laying by the beach/pool and playing in the water. Even if you decide to explore the island it’s still relaxing. Disneyland can be busy. Do the relaxing part last.

I agree with PPs and could really go either way on it.

By doing Disneyland first, you ease into the jet lag and time adjustment. We went straight to Hawaii from the east coast and there was a 6 hour time difference, so our first few days we were up at 5am and crashing by 9pm. I'd rather have less of this adjustment on vacation, and just deal with it at home on the way back. You also get to relax at Aulani after a few days at DL. We did Aulani at the end of a two week Hawaiian vacation, and it was a great way to end it!

By doing Aulani first, you get that longggg flight over first when you're excited to get there. It takes less out of you because you're on adrenaline with excitement! The long flight home for us was miserable because we just wanted to be home (and the depression of the trip being over), so having the stop at DL would help to combat that and break up the travel home. And I agree with PPs that having DL to look forward to will ease the sadness of leaving paradise!

Last edited:
Although research shows that the jet lag going east is worse than going west, we have found ourselves much more affected going TO Hawaii than coming home. Maybe it's just because we're depressed when we come home, so we're distracted. lol. Seriously, though, if I am doing a 2-part vacay, where one part is busy and one is relaxing, I prefer to do the relaxing part second--just my preference. And Aulani is very relaxing, IMO.

My thoughts exactly! Or save the best for last!

We are planning on going to Aulani and Disneyland in the summer of 2020.

We live near the east coast.

We are trying to decide to which to go to first.

Do we fly to California and do Disneyland.for 6 nights then fly to Hawaii and do Aulani for 6 nights?

Or fly to Hawaii then do Disneyland on our way back?

Flights both ways are about the same cost.

Originally, we were thinking Hawaii first, now maybe California first.

We started thinking about adjusting to the time change.

We would love to hear everyone’s thoughts...pros and cons

Thanks

The flight home from Hawaii to the east coast in my opinion is the worst. And the flight is usually full and so uncomfortable. Stopping at DL on the way home to break it up would help make the flight home more tolerable. Have a great time, whatever you decide!

Another vote for Disneyland, then Aulani. Same reasons as mentioned above, esp allllll the walking you do in the parks.....nice to relax after ;-)

I’d do Disneyland then Aulani.

Aulani is more relaxing and also from personal experience, we did Disneyland on the second leg of our honeymoon and all I could think the whole time was how I’d rather have been back at aulani!

I voted for DL then Aulani. The reasoning behind that is that DL is a busier kind of vacation, while Aulani is more about relaxing. I'm sure either way will be fine.

As an "east coaster" it breaks the trip up better for us, and allows our bodies to better adjust. We dont always do DL, this time we are going to San Diego for a few days, then heading to Aulani. First time we did Aulani, everybody was up at 3:am, and it took us a few days to adjust. second time when we stopped at the west coast, we got up at 5 am day one, but made the day much more enjoyable... SO, another vote for left coast first....

We leave Tuesday and are doing Disneyland first then flying to Aulani on Saturday. On the way home we are taking a night flight to LAX to get some rest on the plane, then flying to Chicago to see our kids, before heading back to Orlando. By the time we get home, I am worn out anyways :).

We have done Disneyland fist our two other visits and it has worked out great.

Hit DL first. Take advantage of that 3 hour-sleep-in feeling there. It'll be easy to get up and hit the parks at rope drop. Then after a few days and you've adjusted, head to Hawaii where it feels like you get to sleep in even more!

If you do it the opposite way, you'll get to Hawaii and want to wake up at 3am - and nothing is happening at 3am anywhere on any Hawaiian island. NOTHING. Then you'll come back to DL and getting up for an 8am ropedrop will feel like 6am. No fun.

Come back and post pics!!!

So my wife is thinking...Aulani first.
She likes the idea of straight there then getting caught up with sleep then working our way back east.

She saw the flight options coming east straight from Hawaii...at least 14 hours and 2 layovers plus the six hour time change.
She likes the idea of breaking up the return trip and doing 3 hour time change for each leg

I am still not sure which way to go, I still have time to decide

So my wife is thinking...Aulani first.
She likes the idea of straight there then getting caught up with sleep then working our way back east.

She saw the flight options coming east straight from Hawaii...at least 14 hours and 2 layovers plus the six hour time change.
She likes the idea of breaking up the return trip and doing 3 hour time change for each leg

I am still not sure which way to go, I still have time to decide

Not sure how much time you have, but one could do a layover each way. I think the argument of being up early for rope drop at DL is a good one. So, on the way back, spend a couple of nights in San Francisco and visit the Walt Disney Family museum. It's an amazing museum that is well worth the visit for anyone interested in Walt Disney. Of course, it would make the trip longer and more expensive. But it does help with suffering through the long flights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter