Aulani June 2012

Looks like a theme is developing here! DW and I are waiting to book Sep2012 for our 30th anniversary. We went to Kuaui for our honeymoon and this will be our 1st time back!

Wow! Great minds think alike! We got married in the fern grotto on Kauai and are planning a stay at Aulani for our 30th anniversary, April Fools Day 2013!!

Shuttle and car rental seekers,

There are shuttles that are available and I anticipate them being a little steeper in price as Aulani becomes a favorite destination. Best thing to do is do a google search and shop around for deals. Haven't heard of a Disney run shuttle yet. Although, the distance from the airport to Aulani is only about 20 miles away the traffic can make it a bear! If you can, fly in late at night after 6:00 pm or between 9:00 am -2:00 pm during the week or anytime during the weekends.

Renting a car at the airport is the best deal IMHO. Aulani is offering free parking for their guests. If you are planning to just stay at the resort and walk around the area it is limited but has a beautiful golf course, famous Roy's restuarant and other hotels within walking distance. A car will be needed to get around the island for sure.

msds8700, any suggestions for SF? We've been to DLR a couple of times, but I think the last time was 2005, so it's been awhile.

Well we are certainly no SF experts we have only been there once. We stayed at the Westin St. Francis, it was very lovely. Our favorite thing in SF was Alcatraz. It was really pretty cool and overall one of our top things from all our vacations. Taking a trolly car was pretty neat as well. We actually walked the Golden Gate Bridge and then walked back. Sounds a little crazy I know, it took about 45-50 minutes but everytime we see it on TV are like "we walked across that". Fisherman's Wharf was okay, but we didn't think anything too great. Ghiradelli was fun. The shopping was also great. We only spent about 3 days there as we did a road trip from DLR to San Fransciso on the Pacfic Coast Highway. We stopped in 3 places on the way up.

DLR is great fun and the VGC are amazing! Staying there is a real treat to say the least! The DLR portion of this board will be able to help with planning for both DLR and I am sure you can find some San Fransico advice as well.

Enjoy the trip sounds absolutely amazing and I am sure you will have an awesome time! :cool1:

We booked last month for a January stay. 3 nights in standard studio, 7 nights in one bedroom, ocean view!! Can't wait. When I spoke to the DVC rep, I was told there was NO shuttle offered by Disney at that time to/from airport. I went ahead and reserved a car from dollar. We plan on doing alot of island exploring (have already purchased a number of books) and do not plan on spending any time in Waikiki or Honolulu (except for a day at Pearl Harbor) because they sound WAY too busy. The side of the Island that Disney is on is considered remote. Also, every book I have skimmed thru has said the same thing about leaving anything in your rental car, there apparently is a theft problem in the busier areas.

I also read that Alauni will be charging resort guests $25/day for parking. I certainly hope that is NOT the case for DVC members. Anyone know if this is true?

Is everyone planning on purchasing their own snorkleing gear at home and bringing it with them instead of renting?

We booked last month for a January stay. 3 nights in standard studio, 7 nights in one bedroom, ocean view!! Can't wait. When I spoke to the DVC rep, I was told there was NO shuttle offered by Disney at that time to/from airport. I went ahead and reserved a car from dollar. We plan on doing alot of island exploring (have already purchased a number of books) and do not plan on spending any time in Waikiki or Honolulu (except for a day at Pearl Harbor) because they sound WAY too busy. The side of the Island that Disney is on is considered remote. Also, every book I have skimmed thru has said the same thing about leaving anything in your rental car, there apparently is a theft problem in the busier areas.

I also read that Alauni will be charging resort guests $25/day for parking. I certainly hope that is NOT the case for DVC members. Anyone know if this is true?

Is everyone planning on purchasing their own snorkleing gear at home and bringing it with them instead of renting?

From the Disney Aulani website:

Parking
Both self- and valet parking are available to Guests for a fee. Disney Vacation members enjoy complimentary self-parking.

Whew....thanks for that parking info. I had not been able to find that. I have scoped out the restaurant menus for the resort, though. Different foods, but prices don't seem out of sight (am preparing for food sticker shock).

A fun thing we did in SanFran: we rented bicycles at Fisherman's Wharf, rode them up and across the Golden Gate Bridge, down into Sausolito, had the best burger ever at a tiny place called Hamburgers (really!), and then boarded the ferry with our bikes to get back across the bay (it's included in the bike rental). I was not the fittest person at the time, but was able to keep up with two very althetlic guys most of the time. They only had to wait for me once. Taking the trolly to go shopping in ChinaTown was fun, too.

Belle26-I think we get there on the 14th so we just miss you-we check out the 21st and head to DLR for a few days-the kids can't wait. We think we are doing San Diego a day or 2 before (my daughter loves San Diego!). We thought Alaska was amazing and it was really hard to compare it to any where we have been. It was crazy being on the Wonder and swimming in the heated pools with no kids and so different from all of our trips on the Magic where the pools are flooded with kids. We always seem to go to Disney for either our daughter or sons birthday so we tend to get celebrate buttons quite alot.
Take care and can't wait to go! ALOHA!
Elizabeth
PS We also are getting a 1 bedroom as I will need to do laundry and I want to use the kitchen as this will not be a rushed "Disney" trip (ie getting up early to get to the parks). Enjoy!

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if you will be able to pre-order your groceries at Aulani like you can at the WDW DVC resorts. I read somewhere that that is their intention but was curious if they plan to have that up and running by opening. We plan to visit in February...

thanks!

We r goin June 11-15:hourglass...super excited I can't wait don't think I'll sleep a wink on the flight:cloud9:...we r traveling 11 pple deep :grouphug:

Well we are certainly no SF experts we have only been there once. We stayed at the Westin St. Francis, it was very lovely. Our favorite thing in SF was Alcatraz. It was really pretty cool and overall one of our top things from all our vacations. Taking a trolly car was pretty neat as well. We actually walked the Golden Gate Bridge and then walked back. Sounds a little crazy I know, it took about 45-50 minutes but everytime we see it on TV are like "we walked across that". Fisherman's Wharf was okay, but we didn't think anything too great. Ghiradelli was fun. The shopping was also great. We only spent about 3 days there as we did a road trip from DLR to San Fransciso on the Pacfic Coast Highway. We stopped in 3 places on the way up.

DLR is great fun and the VGC are amazing! Staying there is a real treat to say the least! The DLR portion of this board will be able to help with planning for both DLR and I am sure you can find some San Fransico advice as well.

Enjoy the trip sounds absolutely amazing and I am sure you will have an awesome time! :cool1:

Can't believe I've been absent so long! I love the idea of riding the bikes over the bridge and bringing the ferry back! We did book Alcatraz and Muir Woods. We are planning the hop off trolley and cable cars, but the bikes are something like you said that we could say I did that! Thanks for the suggestion! Only 26 days until our adventure begins. My husband is ready to pack!

Geez, and I have to settle for WDW in 2 days :)

Have a great trip and do not forget to post lots of pics and trip review!

We've been here since Tuesday, and are still discovering things. We took a car Service from the airport, Royal Hawaiian Tours. They were great,then we rented a car on Thursday untilMonday. The car service will pick us up on Tuesday. We went to the Polynesian Cultural center on Wednesday. On a tour booked through Aulani. It was great, highly recommend it. Thursday my husband went scuba diving,and I hung out at the polo for the day. It was a very relaxing and restful day. Friday we went on at our to Pearl Harbor, again booked through Aulani. Only disappointing part was Before we could board a boat to go out to the Arizona, the Navy closed the harbor because of high winds. We have tickets to back tomorrow,but not sure if we will use them. Today,we drove to Diamond Head, the went down to Waikiki Beach and the International Market. Traffic wasn't too bad. Headed to the pool now for a swim before dinner. This place is amazing! Will try and post pictures soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter