August survival tips

pentex

DIS Veteran
Hi!!

We are going down to Vero Beach and WDW for 2 weeks in the end of August. I know it is going to be hot, hot, hot. Can any summer veterans give us any tips for being as comfortable as possible?

Joan

Water, water & more water! We were at WDW last August & found we did better than we expected with the heat & humidity. We drank lots of water before we left the room. We each took a water bottle with us. Also, I bought a squirt bottle/fan which I kept filled. We played with the squirt bottle a lot! Another thought - we tried to eat at a sit down, air-conditioned restaurant or fast food eatery for lunch during the hottest part of the day. Remember your sun hats, suntan lotion, comfortable walking shoes, etc. Have fun!

We have been going in the summer the last few years. We will be at OKW for 2 weeks this summer. On the days we go to the parks, we go early, come home for a swim break and head back out around 5-6. We freeze water bottles and use them. We also have those mist fans to keep us cool. It's hot, but it's still fun!!!

Hit the parks EARLY, the suggestion about a sit down restaurant midday is great, that's what we do for our big meal is a late lunch, lunch prices, dinner quality, and gets us in out of the heat; we find it better than a nap in the room.

Use the water parks or pools for afternoon relief, Park attendance drops in the evening, so a great time to go back and get the benefit of people who hit it too hard during the heat.

Go with the flow, and try not to think you can do it all. We find it is usually cooler there even in August than here at home (kansas) so not usually a big issue for us.

Have a great trip!!!

k

The comment about being cooler in Kansas than Orlando reminds me of last summer ... it was "cooler" in Orlando than in the D.C. area when we boarded the Autotrain. It was hitting 100 degrees & better in the D.C. area & about ten degrees cooler in central Florida!

hi all,we've been twice in august and melted!!!!

tips include; drinking lots of water. cooling off in the shops ( oh no i can hear husband saying 'not another christmas trinket!!), carrying water bottles in small cooler type backpack to refill from fountains in parks, and buying a cheap polystyrene cooler box from local supermarket and keeping cans or bottles frozen in the car or van so that at the end of the day you always have a cold drink to come back to particularly after the long trek at IOA back to the car park!!
cheers kate:smooth:

Thank you for all the great tips going in august too.
Goofy truly goofy:smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

When we went, I tucked slices of lemon in each bottle once we had emptied the original fancy stuff. (Had them bring a bunch with our lunch). The lemon made the water fountain water we added as we went taste SOOOOO much better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter