August park closing times

EEEEE

Mouseketeer
Hey Dis Board,

I am heading to WDW in mid August for 8 days. Looking at the actual park hours for the same period from last year i see that most parks stayed open 1-2 hours later than the currently posted times for my upcoming trip. Do you think that means that there's a good chance that the hours this year will also end up closing later as well?

Thanks!!

The currently-posted hours are not "final."
Expect changes before your trip.

We're traveling July 31-August 10. I recently got an update on park hours for July 31-August 3. AK moved from a 9pm to a 10pm closing for all of those dates and MK moved from a 9pm to a 10pm closing on Aug 2 & 3. My understanding from info on crowd predictions was that there were more rooms booked for our full week of Aug 3-10 than for the first few days July 31- Aug 2, so I'm hopeful that we'll see at least these changes to the rest of the early/mid August dates. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
We're traveling July 31-August 10. I recently got an update on park hours for July 31-August 3. AK moved from a 9pm to a 10pm closing for all of those dates and MK moved from a 9pm to a 10pm closing on Aug 2 & 3. My understanding from info on crowd predictions was that there were more rooms booked for our full week of Aug 3-10 than for the first few days July 31-2, so I'm hopeful that we'll see at least these changes to the rest of the early/mid August dates. :thumbsup2
Thank you. I'm hopeful that at least 1 hour is added.

I've been to Disney World in August on two separate occasions, the third week in August and the last week in August during both trips there were a few days that had extended hours. It will depend on hotel bookings and fast pass reservations, Disney uses them to determine how busy a park will be on a given day. During my trips MK and AK extended hours the most. EP only did once. Although now Galaxy's Edge makes DHS a contender for extended hours. Either way you win. If the hours extend you gain more time in the park and if they don't you will be experiencing lower crowds. When we had short operating hour days we strolled out of the park at our leisure sometimes popping in a shop to grab a last minute souvenir. We explored our hotel, visited the pool, or headed to Disney Springs. If I were there today on a short operating day I would take Disney transportation from the park to a resort that I would like to check out, have a look around, then I'd hop a Disney bus from there to Disney Springs.

We're typical August-goers and I've noticed, in general, that the closings have unfortunately just gotten earlier and earlier for the month. I worked at two popular MK attractions during the fall of 2016, and during August, if there was EMH, I knew to sleep in that day because I wouldn't be closing my rides until 2-3 AM that night.

During 2017, the park hours were posted from 9 AM-10 PM for every park, every day, every week. People speculated for months on when they were going to update and extend the hours, which they unfortunately never did. Many people were massively disappointed in this, considering the fact that those late, late night hours normally see lower crowds than they would during the day. The crowds never thinned out. MK Evening EMH ran from 10 PM-12 AM and was an absolute nightmare the evening I went, I don't think we went on three attractions before we eventually called it quits. It was an extremely frustrating situation for everybody here on the DIS that was following the August thread.

I do not have any notes on last August, but looking at crowd calendars, it seems like the situation stayed the same. Would love more insight on if and when they changed!

I don't know what exact week you're looking at, but I'll be there from the 18-23, so I'm watching that week like a hawk. Right now, MK is supposed to close at 9 PM every day except for Thursday, which closes at 10... then does DAH until 1. Epcot and DHS also close at 9, and DAK closes at 8:30.

It's worth noting that the entire week is completely littered with EMM, DAH, MNSSHP, and other hard-ticket events that allow guests into the park before or after normal park hours. I think there's at least one every day between MK and DHS. More of these events mean shorter normal park hours, unfortunately.

Is it possible that the park hours will change? Yes. It's most likely that MK could budge to 10 PM on non-party nights. Will I be surprised if they stay the same given the amount of hard-ticket events in August? Sadly no.

During 2017, the park hours were posted from 9 AM-10 PM for every park, every day, every week. People speculated for months on when they were going to update and extend the hours, which they unfortunately never did. Many people were massively disappointed in this, considering the fact that those late, late night hours normally see lower crowds than they would during the day. The crowds never thinned out. MK Evening EMH ran from 10 PM-12 AM and was an absolute nightmare the evening I went, I don't think we went on three attractions before we eventually called it quits. It was an extremely frustrating situation for everybody here on the DIS that was following the August thread.
This is true about 2017. However, in 2018 there was improvement:
  • Most nights MK shifted from a 10pm close to an 11pm close outside of party nights for mid- through late August. I'm hoping for the same this year. 2017 was ridiculous in MK and AK (here they kept ONLY PANDORA open late, which was absolutely ludicrous).
  • Studios went from 9:30 to 10:30 listed close, but that was the summer they opened toy story land so no idea whether they'd do the same this year.
  • AK was open until 9:30 most nights -- but all of AK not just Pandora.
Obviously everything changes hours-wise once Galaxy's Edge opens...

• Most nights MK shifted from a 10pm close to an 11pm close outside of party nights for mid- through late August. I'm hoping for the same this year. 2017 was ridiculous in MK and AK (here they kept ONLY PANDORA open late, which was absolutely ludicrous).
  • Studios went from 9:30 to 10:30 listed close, but that was the summer they opened toy story land so no idea whether they'd do the same this year.
And therein lies the big uncertainty. Are crowds going to be low enough before the opening of Galaxy's Edge that they will decide to save money by shortening park hours, or will the parks be crowded with people who are trying to miss the crazy crowds that Galaxy's Edge will bring? Only time will tell.

Thank you so much for this addendum! Makes me feel better. Fingers crossed that 2017 was the exception, not the norm.

2017 was ridiculous in MK and AK (here they kept ONLY PANDORA open late, which was absolutely ludicrous).

^^ Omg, I had forgotten/repressed this. That was THE most frustrating part of Summer 2017, especially since it was only kept open, what, an HOUR or two later than the normal park closing every night?

I'm cautiously optimistic that the crowd levels will be lower, considering all the ADRs and hotels that are still available even within 30 days of my trip. If that means the parks don't extend the hours, we'll probably just do what someone previously said, stroll through the shops, spend some time at the resort, go to Disney Springs. Stuff like that.

Thank you so much for this addendum! Makes me feel better. Fingers crossed that 2017 was the exception, not the norm.

^^ Omg, I had forgotten/repressed this. That was THE most frustrating part of Summer 2017, especially since it was only kept open, what, an HOUR or two later than the normal park closing every night?
You’re very welcome. I have my fingers crossed. And repressed is really the right word!! 😄🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter