August flight price is crazy.... advice please!

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by mickeyforpresident, Jan 7, 2018.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident DIS Veteran

We've already booked our accommodation direct with Disney to get free dining and the $200 gift card so tied with dates in August... I've waited until now to hope snag a good price for Virgin flights in their January sale but the prices for the three of us (two adults, one 13 yo) are still massive.... really didn't want to consider a layover flight but looks like we might need to... any advice anyone (based on previous years should I hold my nerve and hope for a cheaper price the closer we get to going?) Thank you anyone.

2. sam_rogers

sam_rogers painting with all the colours of the wind

Watching this thread, currently waiting to see if prices for September drop a bit. I'm open to flying indirect but can't find one with a decent layover time!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. luvpoohandcompany

luvpoohandcompany DIS Veteran

Try checking aer lingus via Dublin. Sometimes they have better prices than virgin and as you clear customs etc it saves time when you get to Florida:)

5. cedricandsophie

cedricandsophie DIS Veteran

Look at Norwegian air or at diff airports. Four of us are going on the transatlantic cruise in sept from Dover to NY. The one way fare from Chicago on the big airlines nonstop are over 2000 per person. Crazy. Norwegian is starting a nonstop from Chicago to Gatwick in the spring. Their premium section is a quarter of the price and their regular coach section s even less. Not sure where you would fly in and out of but definitely worth a look.

samcrawford01 likes this.
  6. 1andrea

1andrea DIS Veteran

We were waiting but ended up booking Aer Lingus to Miami stopping at Dubin in August for £525 each. We couldnt find anything decent to Orlando x

7. saintrob

saintrob DIS Veteran

Aer lingus all the way. It's a bit of hassle having to do the last leg when coming off a transatlantic but well worth the savings. Dublin airport is great and the service on Aer lingus is excellent.

8. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident DIS Veteran

Thanks...but Aer Lingus not looking that much cheaper unless I'm doing something wrong!

9. Woodview

Woodview DIS Veteran

Another vote for Aer Lingus .... Timing on Direct Flights from Dublin are Good

NO Immigration or customs in Orlando ...... ( or any other airport in USA ) as this is done in Dublin Or Shannon before Departure .

10. MarkE83

MarkE83 Mouseketeer

Try looking at direct flights from Dublin to Orlando; then see how that comes out.

Also look at flights to Tampa (1st choice), or Miami (2nd choice) in addition to MCO.

Sadly flying in August from the UK is THE WORST. They know half of the country is tied to taking holiday at this point, either due to school holidays or the hundreds of factories that shut down for two weeks... and they make us all pay through the nose because of it.

11. 1andrea

1andrea DIS Veteran

I'm flying from Dublin to Miami, is that covered for Immigration too? I assumed it was only Orlando! xx

12. SirDuff

SirDuff DIS Veteran

It is tied to the airport from which you are leaving, not entering (i.e. does the departure airport have US CBP preclearance or not)*. Shannon and Dublin both do.

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

*If the airport has more than one terminal, preclearance may only exist in one. If the airline is flying out of another one, people on those flights cannot access preclearance. If an airline has different flights leaving from different terminals,there is a chance that destination does matter but I cannot think of any such scenarios (not that I know about flights in all (or even most) airports). So, I suppose that my claim isn't totally, undeniably, 100% correct. But I'm pretty sure that it is :) And it is definitely true in your case.

13. MarkE83

MarkE83 Mouseketeer

Yes it is- it’s the departing airport that qualifies here, not where you’re going. We cleared customs there in 2015 going to NYC.

14. Woodview

Woodview DIS Veteran

All flights to USA ( & any Airline ) Departing from Dublin & Shannon PRE CLEAR Immigration & Customs at Dublin & Shannon

15. pickers1982

pickers1982 DIS Veteran

booked ba flights for august the second they were released using oart avios, a companion voucher and part cash to tampa. prices now doubled. spoke to an agent when reserving are seats and he reckoned prices are only going to get worse in the next few years unfortunately

16. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

Just want to clarify this abit.

I have been flying to America from Dublin on a regular basis for over 15 years. USA Preclearance is ONLY in Terminal 2. Only airlines which fly direct from Dublin Terminal 2 to any airport in America will have USA Preclearance.

The airlines which depart from Dublin Terminal 2 are

Aer Lingus
    American Airlines
    United
    Etihad Airlines
    US Airways
    Delta
    Emerites

Ethiopian Airlines also fly to America from Dublin BUT they do not fly from Terminal 2 and do not have USA Preclearance. Ethiopean Airlines departs from Terminal 1 Dublin airport.

USA Preclearance is located in the lower level of the departure gates in Terminal 2. When your USA flight is called for boarding, there are 2 stages. The first stage is that you will be called for USA Preclearance . You go down the escalators from the shopping concourse to the regular departure gate area. You will then big signs directing you down to the lower level for USA Preclearance.

There are 2 stages here. The first part is where you show your boarding card and passport to an agent. You will then go through a second security screening, you will need to take out any electric items, laptops, tablets etc and then walk through another boidy scanner. The second part is after the body and bag scanners. You are then directed to The USA Homelands Security area. There are self service machines and normal USA Homelands Security Agents. This is where you get your passport stamped and you are technically in America.

Once you have your passport stamped you go down to the departure gate areas. There are limited food and shops in this area. Its mainly a bar / cafe , toilets, a sandwich kiosk and a WH Smith kiosk.

luvpoohandcompany likes this.
  17. Emmafleur

Emmafleur Mouseketeer

I have to agree that prices are eye-wateringly high compared to when I last went four years ago. I’ve booked with BA now a few months ago but I’ve watched prices going up and up since then. It’s just mad.

18. samcrawford01

samcrawford01 Earning My Ears

Try skyscanner to compare flights. We went with Norwegian from Gatwick 2 years ago on our last WDW trip, and are doing the same this year. Got our flights for September 2018 for £320 RETURN. Booked as soon as the flights came out. They have increased slightly since then, but not a great deal and still the cheapest for us.