August 2020 Reservations-still going?

is anyone going to cancel based on the report yesterday that florida's covid numbers were up yesterday? funny when i listed why i 'may' cancel aug. trip i never listed covid in there! I listed everything but that....(money/value, plane, masks in heat, etc etc.) and I never said gee i'm scared florida's covid numbers are getting high and i may get it and bring it home! still will wait and see.....

Broken-hearted about it but finally cancelled our Aug 1-8 high school graduation celebration trip to the Poly... already postponed/rescheduled twice-- so we didn't give up easily. Nothing to do with fear of covid and everything to do with an experience that sounds more and more like a disappointing nightmare. Kudos to those who feel like they want to solider on and try to salvage trips, claiming all will be well in spite of literally nothing being the same.

I don't think Chapek understands the definition of a "quintessentially Disney" experience. Maybe one day again, Bob, but that day is not in 2020. 😭

Cancelled our August trip yesterday . Dvc and JetBlue . Tentatively have a xmas trio resort only booked will attempt Disney maybe spring early next summer :(

We had this week booked and planned (June 2 - 12 actually) since our last trip in July. But I caved last month and moved it to mid-August. BUT, we left it at room-only for time being because we weren't sure everyone in our group (my immediate household is fine but my adult daughters were also supposed to come with and their work schedules were still up in the air) would be able to make the new dates. So, I have no tickets and I have no clue if having the resort ressie will give us any chance at all as far as being able to add tickets/park reservations, by our travel dates. So, as it stands, I'll likely be modifying the reservation to 2021, not because of reduced attractions or virus concerns, but because I seriously doubt we will get in the parks at all. We are in Central Texas, so it's a big trip for us, and the whole point is to see the parks during the trip, even if the entertainment options are more limited. Hoping they let me move it as opposed to cancel because I have made payments via multiple cards\methods and it's going to be annoying tracking down to make sure everything was refunded properly. Ugh.

I’m not canceling. COVID 19 cases are up everywhere. I will be happy just to get away and on a vacation. There may be many restrictions, but we will deal with it. We go every year and can be happy not doing everything. If it were a first trip or one not taken often I would probably cancel and wait til things were back to normal.

is anyone going to cancel based on the report yesterday that florida's covid numbers were up yesterday? funny when i listed why i 'may' cancel aug. trip i never listed covid in there! I listed everything but that....(money/value, plane, masks in heat, etc etc.) and I never said gee i'm scared florida's covid numbers are getting high and i may get it and bring it home! still will wait and see.....

Yesterdays news was about a single day peak. Daily numbers ebb and flow with different reporting deadlines, processes and adjustments. One day's bad news doesn't scare me. But, if we see a upward trend in Florida, or the U.S. in general? Yes, it will affect my family's plans. (I really don't trust Florida's reporting anyway)

Is anyone here deciding to cancel based on their kids? We are still planning on going Aug 15-22 but I just made my kids walk around the house in masks and then then told them to imagine walking around outside all day. They all said they don't want to go. 😥 I'll probably wait to see how things unfold but this may be the 1 issue that kills the trip.

Is anyone here deciding to cancel based on their kids? We are still planning on going Aug 15-22 but I just made my kids walk around the house in masks and then then told them to imagine walking around outside all day. They all said they don't want to go. 😥 I'll probably wait to see how things unfold but this may be the 1 issue that kills the trip.

Our 5 year old is a hard no on the masks. I mean, sure, we could be more forceful/coercive as parents, but ultimately we have decided it's not worth it at the moment to put ourselves in a situation where we'll be constantly 'fighting' with her about it as it seems a setup for frayed nerves and unhappiness. Our mindset has shifted to other leisure options where it is not required, such as the beach, state parks, mountains, etc.

Our 9 year old gets it and will wear one as asked and says he'll wear one at Disney (I believe him, he's my little Disney bud and will do what is required to go).

We've decided any near-term trip we do will probably just be me and him for now. Honestly, in some ways my two kids need a break from each other anyway - silver linings!

Broken-hearted about it but finally cancelled our Aug 1-8 high school graduation celebration trip to the Poly... already postponed/rescheduled twice-- so we didn't give up easily. Nothing to do with fear of covid and everything to do with an experience that sounds more and more like a disappointing nightmare. Kudos to those who feel like they want to solider on and try to salvage trips, claiming all will be well in spite of literally nothing being the same.

I don't think Chapek understands the definition of a "quintessentially Disney" experience. Maybe one day again, Bob, but that day is not in 2020. 😭
I do not know what to expect, but we made the decision and we will be creating a memory for sure. I have decided not to compare one single thing!

I live in Florida and we actually move to Phase 2 tomorrow. I think Florida's cases are still very low. I am not worried about it at all-I plan on keeping my August trip.

from Florida Department of Health.
These are deaths. They’re more understandable than tests.

We're still firmly in the "wait and see" zone.

Although my one son asked me this morning "Will we have to decide which parks we want to go to each day while we're on our way to Disney?" and I told him "We'll have to decide long before that, probably." And he just gave me this long-suffering look and said "Oh." It was a very loaded "Oh", let me tell you. We're used to Hoppers. The idea of setting parks in stone ahead of time is not something he's ever experienced. And while he didn't say that would be a deal-breaker for him, at the end of July we'll all have to lay out all of the WDW cards and give everyone equal say in whether or not the hand is a go or a no-go for them. My other son already said that if anyone is on the fence about going then he doesn't want to go because he doesn't want to feel stressed that maybe one of us are not having fun.

So, we wait. :)

I also have become gradually less happy with the idea of no park hopping, especially as I already bought my PH ticket. At the moment I am pondering a Universal-centric trip with perhaps KSC and some other stuff thrown in. Disney already extended my existing ticket to September 2021, so as they say -- see ya next year.

I live in Florida and we actually move to Phase 2 tomorrow. I think Florida's cases are still very low. I am not worried about it at all-I plan on keeping my August trip.
I am keeping my late August plans too, provided I can get in the parks for at least 60% of my days. Ideally I would like 8 days in the parks for my 11 day trip, but I would be willing to go as low as six days and still visit. If it goes lower than that, I will rethink whether a different destination might be a good idea. Hopefully we will get some insight soon on how the park reservations will work so we can finalize plans. With everything that has been going on lately, I expect at least a small increase in cases, but since I am going to Disney solo, I will be focusing more on social distancing than I might if I were distracted by people traveling with me. I want to go to Epcot so much right now!

Is Disney even following the phases, or are they doing their own thing (conservatively)?

We have an early August reservation, room only. For the first time in over 20 times at Disney, I didn't buy tickets at the same time I made the room reservation. Don't know what will happen. It's at the Poly and there are no children involved so I would even consider a resort only vacation at this point. Things change quickly so I am trying not to think of it too much. Airline was booked with points, have only paid a deposit, so would be easy to cancel if we decide to go that route. We already canceled a previous April and July trip. If I was a Disney newbie, I would never go under these conditions.

I have an early August solo trip booked and, as of right now, plan on keeping it. It’s just me though and I’ve been enough (and know I will go again) not to mind if everything isn’t available. If I were going with family or for a first/once in a lifetime trip I would have rescheduled.

I have reservations at both WDW and Universal and have to say that Universal has been soooo much better at communicating. I’ve received nothing in the way of emails regarding any of my Disney resort reservations and I had bookings for May, then June, July and August. I cancelled my June trip 5 days out and everything was showing as if they were wide open. My July 1-8 resort is still in MDE but everything else was cancelled. I got emails about a few ADRs but that was it, nothing for my resort, Early Morning Magic or Disney After Hours reservations.

Currently have 8/1 - 8/7 at the Boardwalk DVC along with APs. Since the points were rented we can't get refunded so we are planning to go and just roll with what comes our way. It will be nice just to get away because even a bad day at Disney beats a regular day pretty much everywhere else.

We are now more committed than ever. In fact, we have also now scheduled a road trip to Zion for 4'th of July weekend as well. Utah has had very low case #'s, it's a National Park, no real reason to be within 6 ft of any stranger, and we scheduled this only 1 month out, on 4'th of July no less? Sorry, but you are crazy if you are still shutting yourself off from the world and not taking advantage under those conditions.
It took some doing, but my wife is also now looking forward to the WDW trip too. Reasons being;
  1. Lower crowds, MUCH lower crowds! I got a Google flight alert this AM for the lowest price I've ever seen - $118 RT from CA. I think that's on Spirit (that's a "no-fly" for us), but still - if ever you needed an indicator of how uncrowded it will be, that is it. I firmly believe that maintaining social distancing will be EASY. I downloaded the SDL app and have been following their wait times - not bad at all. 70 minutes is the highest I have seen - and they still are using FP.
  2. The kids - Son, going into his Senior year, Daughter 1 going into her Sophomore year, Daughter 2 going into 1'st grade. How many more chances are we going to get? Not many. The kids are eager to go - can't pass this one up.
  3. WE HAVE TO GET OUT! All of us, you included. The options are go on this trip or more sitting around the house for the umpteenth day in a row - and you are choosing the house? No way. Even Fauci is saying the risks have been way overblown at this point.
Masks - oh boy, the masks. Tired of hearing about the masks. We are making this as fun as possible by making custom masks of our choosing, and putting some thought into the design has really helped us find more comfortable options. Still hate going to the grocery store in them, but now kindof over the mental block that was making it worse. Not gonna lie though, I would not be disappointed if Disney relaxed this requirement by the time we go.

Water Parks - likewise still holding out hope that at least one will be open, but already over the disappointment if they are not.

ADR's - I finally have confirmation that mine are all now cancelled. I have faith that Disney will now make this right.

Finally, if you've been following some of the other threads, you know that I am a STRONG supporter of getting the kids back into school in Sept. with as few restrictions as possible (none would be ideal). That in mind, it would be disingenuous for me to cancel this trip less than a month from the time I want my kids back in a regular school environment. Somebody has to be the first to get back to a semblance of normal, might as well be us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!