*August 2019 check in*

Four days, three hotels, four performances, 100 middle school students, seven chaperones and zero wine.

I may not survive.

Four days, three hotels, four performances, 100 middle school students, seven chaperones and zero wine.

I may not survive.

I can't imagine the no wine! At least when I work with kids in shows there is alcohol after!

I may not survive.

As another music teacher, I thank you and all the other brave volunteers!! It's not always an easy feat getting people who will help on such a venture! I'm not saying you won't need the wine afterwards, and I'm sure the music director will be right there with you when it's all done! Best wishes for the adventure!

We booked a list minute girls trip to Disney to celebrate my daughter's graduation and we have had a stressful past months and decided we deserved to go...lol

I originally booked a package Mon-Thur as that was the only availability. Was going to book 1 night directly through Hotel but it was over $400 a night. Yikes! Called Disney Travel last night and they were able to add the extra night on for us at a significantly reduced price.

We picked the Fairfield as we have 5 of us and the last time we went 3 years ago the room was large enough for the 5 of us plus storage of luggage and delivered food and water.

Who: Me, Sister, Niece (20), DD1 (17), and DD2 (12)
Dates: Aug 18-Aug 22nd
Where: Fairfield Marriott
Tickets: 4 day park hopper (thinking I will add maxpass later)

Still looking at airfare. We are looking at $346 out of Seatac UNLESS we leave at 6:05am and fly back on Thur at 7:30 or 9:30 the tickets reduce to $240 each. My sister wants to go with the cheaper ticket. Just not sure if we will all be cranky.....We didn't plan on going to the parks the first day but just go to DDD and we love walking around the shops at the DL Hotel.

I think that's it for know. Looking forward to gaining insightful information as we continue to plan our trip.

We are in for the D23 Expo ,including a friend from Australia! We are from the east coast. August 18-25. 4 nights at VGC, 1BR, then 3 nights at Paradise Pier.

I also highly recommend the WoC dessert party. AND using MaxPass starting early in the morning works best.

Disappointed no magic morning at DL for a jump on the SWGE crowds, but will try to get in there at park opening and also at least one evening.

As another music teacher, I thank you and all the other brave volunteers!! It's not always an easy feat getting people who will help on such a venture! I'm not saying you won't need the wine afterwards, and I'm sure the music director will be right there with you when it's all done! Best wishes for the adventure!

I have insane amounts of respect for teachers but music teachers are on a whole other level!

It turned out that the teachers plus a few other chaperones hit a liquor store last night and had a little drink so I don’t have to feel bad about my secret soda!

Today is the last day so I will update the list tomorrow!

Just booked Disneyland for 8/21-8/25! It will be our first time to DL and we are super excited, but finding that planning is completely different from WDW. The trip is so close, but we have nothing planned except our hotel.... we are about 100ish days out....is this normal?!?

Just booked Disneyland for 8/21-8/25! It will be our first time to DL and we are super excited, but finding that planning is completely different from WDW. The trip is so close, but we have nothing planned except our hotel.... we are about 100ish days out....is this normal?!?

Totally normal. I love planning Disney trips even just the little bit DL require. I just changed my plans a few days ago and find myself super relaxed about it only being 84 days away. It's why I love DL planning. I love WDW planning too but I feel like I could never book a "last minute" trip to be able to experience the things I would want to. Basically for DL I know what park we are going into when, and one or two places we want to try and get dinning reservations for and that's is! Super relaxing! (Except not knowing how SWGE will impact things)

Totally normal. No FP+ to plan, ADRs can’t be done until 60 days out and no need to plan which park you are going to since there are only the two and they are super close to each other!

I agree with the PPs. Do some planning and have a game plan. I will be there that same week. Expecting crowds to surge starting on Aug 19 when the AP blockout lifts.

:wizard:

I may not survive.

Whoa. 100 kids and only 7 chaperones? That sounds like not a lot of fun but good on you for taking on that challenge! I just got back from a 5 day camping trip with 50 5th graders to the Olympic national forest in Washington state which was exhausting...but we had 4 teachers and 36 chaperones. Well 25 chaperones and 9 kitchen crew to cook for us.

Family of four staying staying on property for the first time. We’ll be in the parks August 14-18.

I think I've added everyone who posted while I was away!

Whoa. 100 kids and only 7 chaperones? That sounds like not a lot of fun but good on you for taking on that challenge! I just got back from a 5 day camping trip with 50 5th graders to the Olympic national forest in Washington state which was exhausting...but we had 4 teachers and 36 chaperones. Well 25 chaperones and 9 kitchen crew to cook for us.

There were supposed to be 8 chaperones and 101 kids but one of the chaperones and her daughter had to pull out the day before the trip due to a family emergency.

All in all, the trip was fantastic but exhausting. I did a similar trip last year but there were 96 kids and 8 chaperones but instead of touring and staying at 3 different hotels we drove to Whistler and stayed there the whole time. Much easier logistically but less fun for the kids. Last year was a music comp, this year was a tour of elementary schools with a concert at each so a very different feel to the trip.

But, now back to regular Disney planning! :D

I agree with the PPs. Do some planning and have a game plan. I will be there that same week. Expecting crowds to surge starting on Aug 19 when the AP blockout lifts.

Thank you for this information, I would never have thought to look. I dont bother with crowd calendars at WDW because I go when I can, as is this trip. I know there is a D23 convention and figured it would be busy with that too.

Will be in Disney August 20, 21, 22. Do we know yet, when Haunted Mansion will be closed for refurbishment to Nightmare Before Christmas? The last few visits we have been to Disney have been during the Haunted Mansion NBC, and are looking forward to the classic non-NBC version.

Thanks

You should be good. Most likely that will happen on Aug 26.

See "Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124

Any new updates to this question yet.

Just booked Disneyland for 8/21-8/25! It will be our first time to DL and we are super excited, but finding that planning is completely different from WDW...
Generally, as pp have said, DLR is much more laid back than WDW when it comes to planning. Start with this classic thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. You can find LOTS more helpful information in this sticky from the top of the first page: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!.

Any new updates to this question yet.
As the pp said, right now it looks like HM will go down on/around 8/19. When the official date is announced, you'll see it posted in this forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter