*August 2019 check in*

How exciting to “see” everybody here! We got our hotel reservation (DLH) and park tickets this past week, so, yeah! We have been going annually since the younger of my two daughters has been a baby, always in August (my husband has an annual conference there, and we come along to take advantage of the special conference rate for the hotel and the parks admission). My daughter is 11 years old now, so we have a lot of August Dland experience, and I will be happy to weigh in regarding any and all questions that’ll arise here.

That said, I believe that SWGE will make for unprecedented crowds and will definitely shake up our planning (I’m the compulsive trip preparer, and my kids appreciate the little tricks and hacks for minimizing wait times that I bring to the table, even though that means getting up crazy early on park days and touring commando style for the first, “golden” hour—we usually slow down & take it easier once the real heat and the real crowds hit each day).

We faced big crowds before, because we were there for both the cars land opening and the diamond anniversary celebration, both of which made things busier than usual, at least based on our experience. Still, I have a hunch that all of that will pale in comparison to what will be happening this year.

A worthy challenge for those of us who, like me, have the role of Master-Planner in our respective families!!! I figure this year’s visit will make it break me (it doesn’t help that both kids like Star Wars and are excited about the new land).

Here’s to all of the sharing on this thread, of excitement, touring tips & tricks (once things move from the churning rumor mill to actual information), and commiseration if things get challenging or frustrating!!

How exciting to “see” everybody here! We got our hotel reservation (DLH) and park tickets this past week, so, yeah! We have been going annually since the younger of my two daughters has been a baby, always in August (my husband has an annual conference there, and we come along to take advantage of the special conference rate for the hotel and the parks admission). My daughter is 11 years old now, so we have a lot of August Dland experience, and I will be happy to weigh in regarding any and all questions that’ll arise here.

Oh, good! I will be glad for some experienced help as we get closer! I was great at doing solo day trips to DL- 20 years ago! This is my first trip planning for a whole family and with what feels like a totally different park! We were planning on coming before I knew about SWGE, and now I'm just getting scared about that! I'm glad we're going in August and not June so we'll have time to figure out a little bit more in terms of what to expect from that. But for sure, some voices of experience will be wonderful! So thanks for being willing to share!

That said, I believe that SWGE will make for unprecedented crowds and will definitely shake up our planning (I’m the compulsive trip preparer, and my kids appreciate the little tricks and hacks for minimizing wait times that I bring to the table, even though that means getting up crazy early on park days and touring commando style for the first, “golden” hour—we usually slow down & take it easier once the real heat and the real crowds hit each day).

We faced big crowds before, because we were there for both the cars land opening and the diamond anniversary celebration, both of which made things busier than usual, at least based on our experience. Still, I have a hunch that all of that will pale in comparison to what will be happening this year.

A worthy challenge for those of us who, like me, have the role of Master-Planner in our respective families!!! I figure this year’s visit will make it break me (it doesn’t help that both kids like Star Wars and are excited about the new land).

I know what you mean about planning! I keep trying to get some sort of vague plan together but it all keeps coming back to "we will have to wait and see what happens after GE opens and we know how access is going to be handled". It is driving me crazy.

We have a few reservations we want to make, Napa Rose chef's counter and WOC dessert party, but other that those our schedule is pretty fluid. WOC is optional, but the chef's counter is not.

We have 5 days park hoppers and we are planning on being in the parks Aug 19-23 so we have plenty of time to do everything. The biggest thing for us is that our son needs and receives the DAS but we don't yet know how that is going to be handled in relation to SW:GE. We have worked with him so much over the last 8 years since his ASD dx and I hope that between the DAS and using Maxpass that we can keep things on track. We are staying in a 1 bedroom at VGC so we can pop back to the room anytime he needs some time to decompress which always helps.

Halloween Time dates announced. First date is Sept. 6th -- so it looks like HM will go down on 8/19, if the tradional 3 week downtime is correct.
OP: if this is correct, you might want to add it to the first post.

It is exactly 4 months until our trip starts!

We are fortunate to be able to travel a fair bit, typically 3 trips a year so I have trip planning down to a few easy steps. Even so, I usually have an ongoing list of things I need to remember to do.

Flights - done, YYJ-LAX (usually fly via SNA but decided to add on USH this time
Hotel - done, rented DVC points for VGC
Parkhoppers - done, bought through LMTClub - will have to add on MP each day
USH hotel - done, booked at Sheraton Universal
USH tickets - done, added on Express since we only have 1 day
LAX hotel - done, booked for night before we leave.

Car from USH - GCH - NOT done, have a few quotes but have to review
Car from GCH - LAX hotel - NOT done, have a few quotes but have to review

Reactivate Roam SIM cards - done, talk/text/data on both my phone and DH's. DS we will just add on some texting before we go.
ADRs - NR Chef's counter, WOC dessert party - NOT done, June 19 is 60 days out
Grocery List - NOT done. In the past we have ordered some things from Von's to be delivered to the hotel, mostly flats of bottled water and some fruit. Since we are getting a car and driver from USH we will likely stop at a store to pick up whatever we need. We have a 1 bedroom villa at the Grand with a full kitchen and since we typically like to eat lighter foods than what we can get at the parks, we will probably get stuff for lunch like fresh veggies, cheese, cold cuts, etc.

I think that is all...

How is planning (as much as we can) going for everyone? I can't wait for SW:GE to open so we can get a better idea of how things are going to be when we are there in August.

Halloween Time dates announced. First date is Sept. 6th -- so it looks like HM will go down on 8/19, if the tradional 3 week downtime is correct.

Thanks, I've added it as a tentative date!

Hoping to be in DL for D23 Aug. 22-27. Fingers crossed that our plans work out. Can't book airfare until sometime in June. :worried:

My daughter turns 33 and has decided we HAVE to be at DL. So, we are going 16-18. Then, I turn 60, so we are opting to have my 60th birthday a couple days early and will be back down Aug 29-Sept 2.

bummer :( arriving 8/25 so no HM for us. Glad there are many other new, open and refurbed things for us to enjoy! Will Paint the Night be running in August?

So psyched to be heading there Aug. 27-Sept. 1!!! But this early Halloween party has me super concerned about the Space Mountain overlay. REALLY hope it is not down while we are there. Bummed but already accepting that HM will be down.

Good morning everyone, I *think* have have added everyone to the list but please let me know if I have missed you or made any mistakes!

We're going to Disneyland! This will be our third trip in six years. We were going to go DW but decided to save my $$ and vacation time for a two week trip to coincide with DW park's 50th anniversary instead. Plane tickets have been booked (to Orange County). Booked the Dessert Inn across the street as a backup while I wait to hear if there are any DVC studios available at the Grand Californian during our stay. We'll be there from Saturday 8/3 through Wednesday, 8/7. Super exited about Galaxy's Edge!!!!!

We're going to Disneyland! This will be our third trip in six years. We were going to go DW but decided to save my $$ and vacation time for a two week trip to coincide with DW park's 50th anniversary instead. Plane tickets have been booked (to Orange County). Booked the Dessert Inn across the street as a backup while I wait to hear if there are any DVC studios available at the Grand Californian during our stay. We'll be there from Saturday 8/3 through Wednesday, 8/7. Super exited about Galaxy's Edge!!!!!

We've stayed at the DI&S 3 times now, it is our go-to if we don't stay at one of the onsite hotels. Super close, decent rate, good wifi.

We've stayed at the DI&S 3 times now, it is our go-to if we don't stay at one of the onsite hotels. Super close, decent rate, good wifi.

I'm glad to hear of your positive experience. No DVC studios available so we are sticking with the Dessert Inn. I figure I'll take our savings and apply them to some extras we wanted to do in our earlier trips but never did, like the WOC dessert party and a character meal.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter